Micro LED screens coming to Apple Watch, but not until 2023 or 2024

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new industry report claims that Apple will first use a micro LED display in a future Apple Watch as soon as 2023.

Future Apple Watches could have thinner screens
Future Apple Watches could have thinner screens

Following previous reports that the Apple Watch Series 6 might have a micro LED display, a new report backs up the idea that it will not. The chairman of Epistar says that Apple will move to the displays, but suggests that it won't be until a "Series 9" or "Series 10" Apple Watch.

According to Digitimes, Epistar's Lee Biing-jye has said that "there are smartphone vendors showing interest in adopting micro LED displays."

He reportedly said that a watch's 300 x 300 pixels would require around 300,000 micro LEDs. Companies including Epistar have previously had difficulty producing these displays but Biing-jye says that the firm is now able to use what's called mass transfer technology to make a screen in one manufacturing process.

This ability means Epistar is now moving toward achieving what Digitimes refers to as reliable production capability. The company estimates that it will be able to produce micro LED Watch displays in between two and three years.

"Epistar now focuses on improving yield rates for micro LED epitaxy and reducing cost for mass transfer," said Lee Biing-jye.

The chairman says that it will be between four and five years before micro LED can be adopted in volume by TV sets.

Micro LED has the double advantage of offering less power consumption than the current Apple Watch screens, and of being thinner, too. Apple has been in discussions over micro LED for some years, and is believed to be already gearing up to produce devices with the related mini LED technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
     Apple has been in discussions over micro LED for some years, and is believed to be already gearing up to produce devices with the related mini LED technology.

Nice recap until the last sentence.  That sentence is only going to serve to further cement the confusion of the people who already think the technologies are related.  Micro LED is more closely related to OLED.  They are both emissive screen technologies where the individual pixels are lit to produce an image.  Mini LED is a backlighting technology that requires an LCD layer for image production.
    muthuk_vanalingamHank2.0dysamoriaRayz2016rundhvid
  • Reply 2 of 17
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member

He reportedly said that a watch's 300 x 300 pixels would require around 300,000 micro LEDs.

I'm not sure how that math works...  MicroLED uses one led per pixel.  300 x 300 = 90,000.   Okay, maybe if they use separate red, green and blue leds to form the sub-pixels it would come to 270,000.
    edited August 2020 dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    That’s still so far ahead. I’m so sick of waiting for better display tech. Micro LED just can’t come soon enough.

I've been shopping for an LCD display and all
    I see are flaws and lazy manufacturing. From
    the flimsy and half-assed construction (partly due to the RIDICULOUS fad of people demanding bevel-less designs!), to the actual image quality. Every time there’s a minor improvement, people celebrate but they still seem to not notice what’s still wrong. LCD displays are garbage in most ways other than sharpness.

CRTs had better contrast ratios (including actual blacks), less motion blur, faster refresh rates, less latency...

As a person who does low light photography and art with lots of darkness, LCD sucks. As a person who likes other people’s art, LCD sucks. As a person who likes watching space sci-fi shows like “The Expanse”, LCD sucks.

Of course, I’m sure manufacturers of MicroLED displays will inevitably determine that it’s “necessary” to define a certain number of dead LEDs as “normal” & “non-defective”, in order to keep their insane profit margins.

Or is it really that bad now? Have we reached the limits of what we can do when manufacturing tiny little things in the millions per unit? Is it just impossible to have consistent and entirely reliable results? Far too many LCD panels are considered “not defective” & “normal” even though they are full of light bleed & dead pixels.

Of course, many tech geeks still rate these flawed devices as “fantastic” & “beautiful”, and then declare the detail-oriented artists/users as “perfectionist whiners”... Hint: it’s the people who accept broken goods as “fine” who have it wrong.
    rundhvid
  • Reply 4 of 17
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    techconc said:

He reportedly said that a watch's 300 x 300 pixels would require around 300,000 micro LEDs.

I'm not sure how that math works...  MicroLED uses one led per pixel.  300 x 300 = 90,000.   Okay, maybe if they use separate red, green and blue leds to form the sub-pixels it would come to 270,000.
    I think it's more likely that they'll use white LEDs with separate red, green, and blue filters. I don't think LED technology is to the point where calibrating the emission color is feasible.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    dysamoria said: 

CRTs had better contrast ratios (including actual blacks), less motion blur, faster refresh rates, less latency...

As a person who does low light photography and art with lots of darkness, LCD sucks. As a person who likes other people’s art, LCD sucks. As a person who likes watching space sci-fi shows like “The Expanse”, LCD sucks.

You are kidding right? CRT doesn't have the deep black colors compared to excellent LCD displays. CRT's are kinda "gray" and OLED is way far much better. You can use OLED display if you want deep blacks.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    “DigiTimes”... No.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dysamoria said:
    That’s still so far ahead. I’m so sick of wai
    Okay, whatever. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 17
    My favorite TV reviewer talks a little about MiniLED and MicroLED.  The video is a bit long at 17 minutes, but his discussion of Mini and Micro occur within the first 8 minutes.  Warning: Vincent has a very dry wit with a deadpan delivery.  It may catch you off guard and you'll giggle involuntarily.  He's very good at what he does.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs0072hZHdI
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 17

I hope that Apple can get MicroLED working. While I'm excited to have it in the Apple Watch, I really want it in a TV. Samsung (and other companies now) have displayed MicroLED TVs for the last 3 or so year at CES, but they have had a problem shrinking it down,. They were 130-230" big. If Apple can get it into a watch size, then finally MIcroLED TV's might be a normal sized TV.

Googling now, it says Samsung has a 75" MicroLED prototype which must have been invitation only/private viewing at CES......that might be as large as I'm will go.

dysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Having better tech available doesn't mean mass affordable. Informed people are waiting for affordable MicroLED to come sooner and I am one of them.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dysamoria said:

CRTs? Get the fuck out of here. 

I've been shopping for an LCD display

I don't believe that for a second. You don't actually shop for anything, you just complain about absolutely everything available from your almost decade-old second hand iMac.

• Reply 12 of 17
    ... to produce devices with the completely unrelated mini LED technology.
    Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    netrox said:
    dysamoria said: 

You are kidding right? CRT doesn't have the deep black colors compared to excellent LCD displays. CRT's are kinda "gray" and OLED is way far much better. You can use OLED display if you want deep blacks.
    Obviously you’re doing the kidding. LCD with deep black??? OLED, yes. Not LCD. But OLED is expensive and WILL degrade. I’m not spending that money for it to suffer image persistence/burn-in because of watching videos on YouTube or something with UI elements or logos on there all the time. Even worse for computer displays/gaming with UI and HUDs. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dysamoria said:

CRTs? Get the fuck out of here. 

I don't believe that for a second. You don't actually shop for anything, you just complain about absolutely everything available from your almost decade-old second hand iMac.

Oh I see, you’re one of those types that just says things and thinks that makes them true. Whatever. I’m not going to make you believe anything you don’t want to believe.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Rayz2016 said:
    dysamoria said:
    That’s still so far ahead. I’m so sick of wai
    Okay, whatever. 
    Okay, whatever.

Cool; empty dismissive posts are easy. 
  • Reply 16 of 17

Imagine being a person who judges others by how often they buy things... While you’re bashing my old iMac: That decade-old secondhand iMac has a much better display than the 2020 LG TV we just bought. It’s going back today ASAP.

• Reply 17 of 17
    dysamoria said:

Imagine being a person who judges others by how often they buy things... While you’re bashing my old iMac: That decade-old secondhand iMac has a much better display than the 2020 LG TV we just bought. It’s going back today ASAP.
    No, I'm judging you based on your many years of complaining about everything that's released not being good enough for you. It's comical at this point.