Apple releases iOS and iPadOS 13.6.1, macOS 10.15.6 with bug fixes

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Wednesday released new updates to iOS, iPadOS and macOS that fix known issues such as a bug with Mac virtualization and a problem with the Exposure Notification system.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The software updates Wednesday include iOS 13.6.1 and iPadOS 13.6.1, as well as a supplemental update to macOS Catalina 10.15.6.

The incremental updates to iOS and iPadOS are minor and aimed at fixing bugs found in iOS 13.6, including an issue that prevented unneeded system files from being deleted when storage is low. The updates also patch a thermal management bug that could cause a green display tint, as well as a problem with Exposure Notification alerts.

According to Apple's release notes, the macOS 10.15.6 Supplemental Update "fixes a stability issue that could occur when running virtualization apps." The issue, present in the App Sandbox caused, problems for virtualization software such as VMware and VirtualBox. Users reported kernel panics and crashing issues.

Additionally, the update resolves a bug that could cause an iMac to appear washed out after waking up from sleep.

iOS 13.6.1, iPadOS 13.6.1 and macOS 10.15.6 Supplemental Update should now be available for all users to download from Settings or the Mac App Store.
steve_jobs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    “Additionally, the update resolves a bug that could cause an iMac to appear washed out after waking up from sleep.“

I started experiencing this in April. 4 months for Apple to address?
    edited August 2020 ivanh
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Is Catalina the biggest pile of turds Apple has ever shipped as an OS.  Although I’ve skipped a few versions of MacOS over the years, typically the final version of each of them is palatable.  It seems this update is pretty darn important for Catalina users but does it finally overcome the caveats I’ve heard over all theses months about “issues” with Catalina.  Am I foolish to hope Big Sur will not suffer the same issues?
    edited August 2020 lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Is Catalina the biggest pile of turds Apple has ever shipped as an OS.  Although I’ve skipped a few versions of MacOS over the years, typically the final version of each of them is palatable.  It seems this update is pretty darn important for Catalina users but does it finally overcome the caveats I’ve heard over all theses months about “issues” with Catalina.  Am I foolish to hope Big Sur will not suffer the same issues?
    Catalina was the first I ever skipped. I have it on a work machine so I can support others. Lion was the only other one that might have been as bad. That was the beginning of the end of Server just as we were starting to roll it out.  :D

iOS 13 started off pretty bad, especially the iPadOS variant, but I think they did a good job cleaning it up. It's not perfect, nothing ever is, but worth the initial headaches.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    This update was the first one that did not require me to unplug/replug my second monitor to get it to be recognized. However, it did not retain my 90 degree rotation on the second monitor so it was not "perfect." Otherwise, let's wait and see how it goes...
    pepepopo
  • Reply 5 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I have had zero significant problems in Catalina, having upgraded from Mojave I think around February.
    JFC_PArazorpitlkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 17
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Catalina is a c-c-c  Catastrophe!  If you enjoy apps and system taking up full 64bit memory addressing, for no other reason other than “now it’s 64 bit” then go ahead. If you enjoy slow, glitchy screens, system crashes, tons of apps no longer supported/working go ahead. If you like tons of features removed and the system dumbed down, and losing stability; (how does that even happen?)  then by all means. Have a nice day. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 17
    dewme said:
    This update was the first one that did not require me to unplug/replug my second monitor to get it to be recognized. However, it did not retain my 90 degree rotation on the second monitor so it was not "perfect." Otherwise, let's wait and see how it goes...

I didn't think about this until you mentioned it. I also didn't have to unplug/replug my other iMac to get it to work.

We'll wait and see on the virtualization bug. That was very annoying to say the least.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Switched from Windows to Mac at OS-X Jaguar.  Pretty much at every upgrade people will complain that the new version of OS-X is worse than the previous one.  On hindsight, they're all basically the same in terms of "issues" at introduction.

I've learned to live with it.  The only way an OS reaches and maintains perfection is if hardware development stops cold on its tracks.  I don't want that.
    jas99fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I have had zero significant problems in Catalina, having upgraded from Mojave I think around February.
    Same here.  Not a peep. 
    jas99fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I wouldn’t call these updates minor. They are fixing essential things. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Anyone with a Mac mini notice when sleeping no ‘breathing in & out’ led? 
    ivanh
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Lion was far, far worse. Mountain Lion was the literal fix for many issues that persisted throughout the cycle with Lion and Mavericks was the literal fix for the issues that remained at the end of Mountain Lion's run. Mavericks was the first useable (but far from perfect) OS after Snow Leopard. Lion truly was Apple's Vista. Catalina by comparison is almost problem free, such were the level of issues with Lion. I skipped Lion on my personal Macs because all my clients were having problems regularly. I delayed purchasing a new Mac until I couldn't delay any longer (just before Mavericks was released). I'm skipping Catalina on some of my personal Macs because of the 64-bit stuff that breaks some older software. There's still one or two where I'm waiting on an update or replacement (replacement is more likely at this point). But they'll get Catalina or Big Sur eventually. On my work laptop, Catalina has been fine.
    razorpitbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Running Catalina day by day 8 hours non stop at school without any problems on my old & trusting 2015 MacBook Air does say something. Catalina is my dearest girlfriend so far after having to say goodbye to my lovely cat, Snow Leopard on my white MacBook. Hope Mr. Big Sur will be as trusting as my previous dearest Apple companion. 
    jas99
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Today 8/13/2020 my old and faithful iPhone 6 was updated to iOS 12.4.8  !!! Thanks ! 

• Reply 15 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I’ve been waiting for the email bug to be fixed and more or less decided that I’m skipping Catalina completely. It’s clearly an uncommon bug but email is a critical function and I haven’t missed any of the features anyway.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 16 of 17
    MplsP said:
    I’ve been waiting for the email bug to be fixed and more or less decided that I’m skipping Catalina completely. It’s clearly an uncommon bug but email is a critical function and I haven’t missed any of the features anyway.
    we always have the Toolbox : https://appletoolbox.com/mail-not-working-in-macos-catalina-how-to-fix/  :)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I was running iOS 13.6 for weeks after 13.6.1 became publicly available, mainly because it refused to confirm the download with my VPN running.  Now that I’ve given in by executing that update security-free, I’ve got a new volume control bug.  Doesn’t matter which app I use—typing text the clicking is a faint sound and then every 10 seconds or so the digital volume indication shows up, the clicking sound jumps upward, then immediately goes back down.  Constantly.  Yes, I know I can turn off the sound but that does not change the fact that getting a new bug from a firmware meant to solve them is pretty annoying.