College decisions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yes, it's that time for me - time to choose which college I want to go to! Yaay! Anyway, I have been accepted to Willamette (OR), Union (NY), Hofstra (NY), Brandeis (MA), and have been wait-listed at Skidmore (NY), Kenyon (OH), and Whitman (WA). If anyone can contribute any information about any of these institutions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Do you have an idea what you would like to major in?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    You should rule out Kenyon since it is in Ohio and Ohio sucks.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    It appears to me that you would like to be in NY. As far as Hofstra goes, since it's in Longue Isle-lan-de, all the girls wear blue eye shadows and still don front wave hair for added height. I helped move my friend's girlfriend move to the dorms a few years ago and it was a kick to rewitness suburbia. Everyone in NYC know a Longue Isle-lan-de girl when they see one. I doesn't help you with real info but thought I give you a heads up on social appearence. Like others have said, it would be helpful to know what area of study you want to get into.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    You should go to Whitman, because then you can live in Walla Walla. It's fun to say over and over again. Walla walla walla walla walla.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    You totally want to go to Brandeis and kick it with the Boston AI crowd, rep-rah-zint!

Actually, the only school on your list I am familiar with is Brandeis. Two good friends of mine are second years there I think. You're also close to Boston (it's like a 20 minutes ride on the commuter rail I think). Great place to be in for college.

*shrugs*
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Why don't you go to Harvard instead?

And COD is right-- Ohio Sucks.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

I'm going to go ahead and defend Ohio. It's a nice place, especially around Cleveland and Cincinatti. Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend Kenyon because I hear they practice satanic rituals there.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Why don't you go to Harvard instead?

And COD is right-- Ohio Sucks.

Well, I didn't apply to Harvard. I just don't feel that it would be the right school for me.

Anyway, to clear things up: I am interested in studying the Fine Arts (studio art, drawing, painting, etc), Education, and possibly Astronomy or Physics. Thanks in advance for responding!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    My friend's grandpa helped found the performing arts department at Whitman. It's a great place for acting, but I have no idea about the visual arts. Boston is a nice place for college, I have to agree with M3D Jack. I say we set up a poll and have all of AI vote on it. I'm sure your parents will be thrilled that a bunch of Macintosh zealots helped you pick where to go to college .
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

But one of our favorite members is in Ohio. Tigerwoods representing um, midwest style! Though if you go to New York, maybe you can check in on his girlfriend for him...

I still vote for Brandeis. It's a fun little place.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

Yes, it's that time for me - time to choose which college I want to go to! Yaay! Anyway, I have been accepted to Willamette (OR), Union (NY), Hofstra (NY), Brandeis (MA), and have been wait-listed at Skidmore (NY), Kenyon (OH), and Whitman (WA). If anyone can contribute any information about any of these institutions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Just curious - why all the private schools? What state do you live in? And have any of those Truffula trees come back?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Where do those colleges rank in the general opinion? I´ve never heard of them but then again i´m really not that into the world of US colleges.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Your majors are all over the place (not necessarily a bad thing), however, it makes school selection more difficult. I, myself, can recommend Brandeis. I wish I had gone there, I plan on transferring there. The people I know there really enjoy it though. Are you Jewish?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Ari, Nebulous (according to her pic on AI member site) doesn't look jewish to me. Are you Nebbie?

Also, the fact that you are in CA, why not look to the Art Center in Pasadena? If you want change then how about SVA (School of Visual Arts) in NYC since you mentioned Hofstra. I know that SVA is way more in cost but if you're paying out-of-state tuition @ Hofstra, which is not known as a great art school, why not utilize the great resource of Manhattan as the campus. No matter how good other art schools are, they can't offer you a day @ Met, then MOMA, Guggenheim, etc., and all the private galleries throughout the city. If you like Boston area (HORRIBLE as well as their multi-billion dollar fvck up of the transportation system, "The Tube" and want to subsidize while you are there) how about RISD, Rhode Island School of Design. It is one of the best ones for art. There is also FIT, Fashion Institute of Technology and Parsons, but I hate Parsons (personal experience). Give me a holler if you are really interested in art and the select schools I mentioned.

--spellin' edited
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Well, I chose to apply to private schools because... hmm... there's no particular reason. They simply seem to fit my learning style. I picked up a college book, and rifled through that and all of the other flyers I have recieved, and the private colleges just seemed like the best places for me, so I applied. I really would like a small school, and I would probably feel overwhelmed at a large institution. California has a very nice public college system (I wish I could say the same for the high schools), but all of them are big. I live in Davis, home of UC Davis, and I've seen how large the lecture halls are, and how massive the student body is. Feeling like a number rather than a person is not something I would really look forward to. I also didn't choose any schools which focus on anything in particular. I want the chance to learn as much as possible, and experiment with my abilities. Therefore, places like RISD (which I have heard a lot about) are not as appealling as small liberal arts schools.

Next answer - in general, I think all of the schools are pretty equal as far as the ranking goes. They're very competitive, but not as difficult as places like Princeton or Yale.

Next answer - Nope, I'm not Jewish. I was not raised with any particular religious preference.

And finally... yes. Truffula trees are back. Davis actually has trees that resemble truffula trees when they bloom in the spring.

Thanks for all the information you have given! Any input will help my decision.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I assume that you visited the schools you are interested in--did you do that?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I'm going to do that during spring break (starts on April 10).
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Ah. Well, that will be more informative than what we all can say here, I suspect. But nice job putting everyone to use!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    You know, Tufts University and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts have a tight relationship you might appreciate. Tufts University has a BFA program that includes all of your studio art courses to be taken at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts -- probably the most wonderful art school in the country.

So basically, and this is the program I did, you do about 90 credit hours at the Musuem taking your studio art, and you fill in your other academic requirements at Tufts. Tufts ends up issuing your Bacehlor's degree. There is also a dual degree program, allowing you to pull a BFA and a BS in something else. Tons of options.

I ended up choosing the SMFA over RISD and SCAD because of the Tufts affiliation. I don't reget it at all. A truly wonderful and unique experience.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Everyone I know who went to Kenyon came out the other side writing bad poetry.