Apple to launch Apple TV+ bundle with CBS All Access, Showtime for $9.99

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple plans to launch an Apple TV+ bundle that includes both CBS All Access and Showtime content for $9.99 a month.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The bundle would allow users to access premium content from all three services through the Apple TV app. Reportedly, the move is meant to spur adoption of Apple's a la carte Apple TV Channels service.

Apple's bundle, which would be the first of its kind in the company's services portfolio, could launch as soon as Monday, Bloomberg reported.

CBS All Access and Showtime normally cost $9.99 and $10.99 a month, respectively, while Apple TV+ runs users $4.99 a month. That means the bundle -- if the pricing is accurate -- represents about $15 worth of savings.

Users can already access CBS All Access and Showtime on the TV app, and Viacom has long offered discounted bundles for both content providers on its own website. The bundle will allow Apple users to consolidate their subscriptions, however.

Introduced in 2019, Apple TV Channels is a feature that lets users browse and view content from a variety of providers on a single app. Users must still pay for the content providers they want to watch -- including Apple's own Apple TV+ service.

Earlier on Thursday, a report claimed that Apple plans to launch a new bundled subscription called "Apple One" that includes services such as Apple Music, Apple Arcade and Apple TV+. The bundle could come in various price tiers, with some packages including iCloud storage or Apple News+.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Nice. How popular are those services though?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    Instant savings for me. I am loving this, if it’s true.
    Beatsmike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Beats said:
    CBS All Access has hit homeruns with their Star Trek shows. Discovery and Picard are both great and there's a 3rd on the way. 
    Beatsomasoujahblade
  • Reply 4 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Just Apple TV+ is ok, but adding other two under $10 is value proposition.
    jahbladeStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 29
    This is a good deal. My only question is will there be a package with cbs that includes their no ads version. I’m assuming this version of cbs will be the ad-supported version 
    BGnATCjahblade
  • Reply 6 of 29
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    CBS All Access has hit homeruns with their Star Trek shows. Discovery and Picard are both great and there's a 3rd on the way. 

Sweet, as the trial year is ending for most, Apple is finding ways to keep them. This will also introduce outside subscribers to peek into TV+.

This is a good deal. My only question is will there be a package with cbs that includes their no ads version. I’m assuming this version of cbs will be the ad-supported version 

Apple historically hates ads so let's hope....
    doozydozenBGnATCjahbladeStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    If it's no ads they might get me back as a subscriber. I like CBS AllAccess but not for the cost of their no ad level. The only shows with value to me are from the StarTrek franchise and I'll binge those every few months. Showtime will occasionally have something I'm interested in too. I

'd make a guess that AppleTV+ will be a loss leader for the near future and Apple's intent will be to build subscribers rather than make any money, or probably break even for that matter.  Surely Showtime and CBS must be asking at least $10 in total for their services alone and thus AppleTV becomes free.

BTW, why is Starz promoted in the graphic and not Showtime?
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 8 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They should still make offers to acquire the studios and libraries of Sony Pictures, MGM and/or niche library companies like Turner Classics or Criterion.
    JapheyfirelockBeats
  • Reply 9 of 29
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    If it’s true, sign me up.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Beats said:
    The upcoming 3rd Star Trek series “Strange New Worlds” will go back to its earliest roots with Captain Pike (James T. Kirk succeeded Pike as Captain).
    edited August 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Actually it is ViacomCBS that is offering the deal.
    davgreg
  • Reply 12 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bluefire1 said:
    Beats said:
    The upcoming 3rd Star Trek series “Strange New Worlds” will go back to its earliest roots with Captain Pike (James T. Kirk succeeded Pike as Captain).
    Yes, and I cannot wait. Anson Mount does a great job of playing Capt. Pike. He was also great in Hell on Wheels 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Imagine being an Apple sales associate. The ever increasing product lines and services to keep track of. All while making the same pay. Sounds exhausting 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 14 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Is this for the US only or also Canada? I currently subscribe to the CBS channel in Canada but it’s missing quite a few of the shows offered in the US like everything Star Trek. Apparently some Canadian broadcasters have an exclusive license for certain CBS programs.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 15 of 29
    They should still make offers to acquire the studios and libraries of Sony Pictures, MGM and/or niche library companies like Turner Classics or Criterion.
    I was surprised that Apple launched TV+ without first acquiring at least a small library to provide a little depth to their offering.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    firelock said:
    I was surprised that Apple launched TV+ without first acquiring at least a small library to provide a little depth to their offering.
    Same here. The offerings are still quite paltry. Once you pick and choose and go through their mix of “free” programming on the ATV+ section of the app service, everything else costs money. That’s ridiculous compared to any other large service, including Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video. In addition, Apple TV+ now must compete with some fairly decent ad-supported “free” services like Peacock and Pluto TV (all of which I’ve tried).
    chemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 29
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I am suprised . What is ViacomCBS getting in Liu of its cost for both cbs and showtime apps, I currently am subcribed to cbs no ads. And it’s $9.99 a month. If this is true, and it’s truly $9.99 to watch all three of these channels, I will gladly switch for that deal.  

The Star Trek series are awesome! But you can’t forget NCIS up to current episodes and BULL and other CBS shows, not to mention showtime shows( I don’t watch showtime so I don’t know a lot of them) 
  • Reply 18 of 29
    BGnATCBGnATC Posts: 23member
    bluefire1 said:
    Beats said:
    There are six Trek shows currently airing or in development, collectively named Star Trek Universe:

Discovery 
    Picard
    Lower Decks
    Strange New Worlds
    Prodigy
    untitled Section 31-themed show

CBS isn’t screwing around and they seem determined to make Trek into something resembling the Marvel cinematic universe. Their iOS app is GARBAGE, however, so it’d be super if they could just bum off the tech stuff to Apple and the TV app. 
    edited August 2020 omasoujahbladebluefire1StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 29
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    Absolutely. I had to ransom back TCM from Comcast after they removed it from the normal tier and stuck it on a Sports Tier. TCM...Sports Tier ? 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 29
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    Beats said:
    ^^^ this. CBS All Access on it's own isn't worth $9.99/mo for Picard alone. Together maybe.

Thought, I'm not committing anything until Apple releases the new iPhones to see if they will continue offering free Apple TV+ or a reduced price Apple TV+ bundle.
    edited August 2020 Beats