Spotify supports Epic Games' private antitrust action against Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Music streaming service Spotify on Thursday threw support behind Epic Games after the Fortnite developer leveled a lawsuit against Apple over allegedly monopolistic App Store regulations.

Spotify, which lodged its own antitrust complaint against Apple in 2019, welcomed Epic as an ally in a long-running fight over App Store fees.

The streaming service in a statement to Recode's Peter Kafka lauded Epic's decision to take legal action against the tech giant's tight control over iOS app distribution.

"We applaud Epic Games' decision to take a stand against Apple and shed further light on Apple's abuse of its dominant position," a Spotify spokesperson said. "Apple's unfair practices have disadvantaged competitors and deprived consumers for far too long. The stakes for consumers and app developers large and small couldn't be higher and ensuring that the iOS platform operates competitively and fairly is an urgent task with far-reaching implications."

On Thursday, Epic announced plans to skirt Apple's typical 30% cut of App Store transactions by implementing a direct payments system. As expected, the iPhone maker responded by pulling popular battle royale game Fortnite from the online marketplace, citing violation of App Store policy.

Epic in quick order fired off a prepared lawsuit against Apple in California court, asserting the Cupertino company is a "behemoth seeking to control markets, block competition and stifle innovation." App Store fees and Apple's restriction of outside app stores are key arguments in the lawsuit.

While private antitrust cases are difficult and costly to successfully navigate, they do shine a light on potentially nefarious practices and could prompt increased government scrutiny. To help bolster its cause, Epic has enlisted noted antitrust attorney Christine Varney, who served as U.S. Assistant Attorney General of the Antitrust Division under President Barack Obama.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    No matter who wins, or what trade-offs are made, I doubt these companies will be able to play nicely with each other under the same roof again. I just hope they considered this be4 firing that first bullet.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Let me get this out of the way first; Spotify your “music service” sucks. The world would be a much better place without your service.

Hey Epic those rules have been in place at least 10 years.  Why did you wait until now to pull this petty publicity stunt?
    By the way, 30% is a normal markup on any product(actually it’s on the low side). 

sportyguy209mwhitemagman1979BeatsflyingdpleavingthebiggmdriftmeyerAndy.HardwakeSpamSandwichinTIMidator
  • Reply 3 of 19
    No matter who wins, or what trade-offs are made, I doubt these companies will be able to play nicely with each other under the same roof again. I just hope they considered this be4 firing that first bullet.
    Of course they have. This all felt scripted and premeditated. Epic does over-the-air update. Apple immediately removes it and issues statement to many news outlets. Epic immediately announces lawsuit run by the nations top antitrust lawyers and releases a commercial explaining their lawsuit.
    magman1979leavingthebiggFileMakerFellerAndy.Hardwakedoozydozenjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    These companies must think it is them Who make apple famous and sell so many iPhone.  
    magman1979BeatsflyingdpleavingthebiggAndy.Hardwakedoozydozenjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member

Apple created the ecosystem for their platform ... and all these spoiled developers who made millions/billion from that very same service and platform....are now forgetting how they got there.

Apple provided them and the the consumer a secure ecosystem through which both sides could comfortably and with peace of mind trade.

Providing and managing all that is not free for Apple... on top Apple is not a charity organization.. its a Buisness.

As for monoplistic behavior... how can one be a monopolist when they only hold 13% -16% of the market share in smartphones and mobile devices in units!?

Now if they held 95% market share like windows did.. its a very different story.

The consumer has a choice to go elase where.. actually aprox 85% do !

It is Apple‘s world and their own ecosys of their own creation.... u dont like it.. move on to the other options. There are plenty of options.

There is no Monopoly. 

edited August 2020 DancingMonkeysmagman1979flyingdpmdriftmeyerAndy.Hardwakecastcoreaderutterjony0watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 6 of 19
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    But of course they would, twat CEO’s seem to attract one another...
    BeatsFileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Hahaha!! I called it earlier!!

Epic will gather all the freeloading bums to protest against Apple.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    castcorecastcore Posts: 141member
    ‪Should we all sue @EpicGames and CEO @TimSweeneyEpic for forcing us to pay for stuff on @FortniteGame ? We want it for free, everything! If you are asking @Apple @tim_cook to let you be on @AppStore for nothing , you cannot charge either! Same with @Spotify @eldsjal!All FREE NOW!‬
    BeatsAndy.Hardwakejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Time for Apple to step it's game up and start eating Spotify market share outside of the U.S. They're being way too nice.

Use the popularity of Beats and AirPods to influence users.
    Andy.Hardwakecastcoremagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Apple should refund their $99 and cancel their developer account. Period.
    Andy.HardwakebestkeptsecretBeatscastcoreSpamSandwichuraharamagman1979jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Of course they have. This all felt scripted and premeditated. Epic does over-the-air update. Apple immediately removes it and issues statement to many news outlets. Epic immediately announces lawsuit run by the nations top antitrust lawyers and releases a commercial explaining their lawsuit.
    Are you suggesting that Apple is in cahoots with Epic for some reason? That's how your post (and your posting history) reads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Spotify and Epic really haven’t thought this through. Epic’s goal is to force Apple to have their own App Store, because you can’t force the App Store to not levy some kind of charge for its service. 

If this is forced upon Apple then they are now in competition with Apple on Apple’s own devices: a bit like Microsoft being allowed to have their games store on the PlayStation; it doesn’t work - Apple could then use “build your own App Store” as an easy excuse to remove any delinquent titles such as Spotify - Then compete them out of existence with their home advantage. 

3rd party app stores only “work” on Android because they’re preinstalled and run by the same people making the Android device. Eg Samsung has its own store for their own devices. Other 3rd party stores do not enjoy any kind of penetration.

The idea of replicating the Desktop Steam or Epic store on iOS is completely naive: Apple run the hardware, even on desktop most of the Mac Steam catalogue became extinct after the switch to 64 bit, and more will follow this with the Apple Silicone switch. Apple don’t need to protect competitors like they do their own App Store developers, and emulators don’t work forever. 

No matter how this goes, it doesn’t bode well for Epic or Spotify. 

castcoreGilliam_BatesBeatsleavingthebiggaderutterjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Yes, I agree. But what I meant was that they wont be friends whatever happens from now on. I simply don't see how Epic will get along with Apple and Google, and play nicely in their app stores, after this melt-down — no matter what financial- and technical solutions will be found. Trust and confidence is just lost.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Yes, I agree. But what I meant was that they wont be friends whatever happens from now on. I simply don't see how Epic will get along with Apple and Google, and play nicely in their app stores, after this melt-down — no matter what financial- and technical solutions will be found. Trust and confidence is just lost.

They didn't think this through. I don't wanna see them on stage again, pretty sure the crowd will boo them out.

Apple will most likely take gaming more seriously and try to take Epics grip on the world's favorite gaming engine.
    magman1979jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Apple should pull the kill switch on all Epic and Spotify products.
    Spotify and Epic customers can use their digital purchases on other devices so they’re losing anything.

SpamSandwichmagman1979jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Pull the Spotify down from the App Store until the disputes are resolved. 

Even though I use Spotify Premium, I would support such move. 
    magman1979jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Let me get this out of the way first; Spotify your “music service” sucks. The world would be a much better place without your service.

Hey Epic those rules have been in place at least 10 years.  Why did you wait until now to pull this petty publicity stunt?
    By the way, 30% is a normal markup on any product(actually it’s on the low side). 

Really 30% is a normal markup on any product/service? Where on earth did you do that research to come up with what a normal markup is? 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

aderutter said:
    Spotify and Epic customers can use their digital purchases on other devices so they’re losing anything.

If they do the antitrust feds will be on them like white on rice, I hope they take your advice. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    God most of the comments are cancer. 

It's very obvious Epic planned this.
    aderutter said:

Pulling the plug on all other products from Epic/Spotify in retaliation? Does that really sound like a good idea? You would literally only be strengthening the anti-trust lawsuits against Apple.

The answer to this is easy, it's being scrutinized by many parties. This is their way to form their own protest. There are digital stores that take less, anything between 10-15% of the sales, with everything over 5% often being profits. While brick and mortar stores tend to have 25-50% profit margins, there are some differences between these stores, including discussion if subscriptions warrant a cut even if the user only signed up on the platform but doesn't use platform for the service. 
    watto_cobra