New Mac malware infects and spreads via Xcode projects

Posted:
in General Discussion
A number of Xcode projects have been found to contain malware that can attack Safari and other browsers, security researchers have revealed, with the discovery of XCSSET malware making its way into Mac software projects through largely unknown means.

Researchers at Trend Micro discovered what the company describes as "an unusual infection related to Xcode developer projects," where malware would incorporate itself into the project itself. The malware was found to have multiple payload possibilities, and though it poses a potential risk to end users using software developed via Apple's IDE, it actually seems to be a bigger issue for the developers themselves.

The malware, which is part of the XCSSET family, was found to incorporate files that suggested it would enable a "command and control" of a target system, namely that it would allow the attacker using the malware to take control of the infected Mac. This can allow for a wide variety of actions to be performed on infected systems, including acquiring personal data and performing a ransomware-style attack involving encryption.

The team suggests the unusual nature of the malware is from how it is being distributed, namely that it is being "injected into local Xcode projects so that when the project is built, the malicious code is run." It is unclear exactly how the code is being injected into the project at this time.

For developers who rely on collaborating with others, Trend Micro suggests the threat is worse when taking into account projects being shared via GitHub and other code repositories, as this could lead to "a supply-chain-like attack for users who rely on these repositories as dependencies in their own projects."

After being installed, the malware is able to attack Safari and other browsers on the Mac to acquire useful user data. Zero-day vulnerabilities discovered include an issue with Data Vault that bypasses macOS' System Integrity Protection feature, as well as in Safari for WebKit Development that creates a fake Safari app that runs instead of the legitimate version.

So far, the malware has only been found in two Xcode projects in research so far, with the projects thought not to be widely used by other developers, severely limiting the impact. A list of 380 victim IP addresses were collected by malware authors, with the vast bulk of infections made up of Macs in China and India.

Trend Micro recommends that project owners "continue to triple-check the integrity of their projects in order to definitely nip unwarranted problems such as a malware infection in the future."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    So, first SoftBank decides to sell ARM, a ton of engineers and executives leave TSMC for Chinese firms, because there’s no way THAT could go wrong, and now there’s this malware in the Xcode developed kit used to make all Mac apps 

And let’s not forget the contrived antitrust cases being spun up now 

Beginning to look like an all out war on Apple because Apple chose to finally dump intel 

Of course, I’m just a conspiracy theorist.....
    9secondkox2razorpit
  • Reply 2 of 18
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 125member
    civa said:
    So, first SoftBank decides to sell ARM, a ton of engineers and executives leave TSMC for Chinese firms, because there’s no way THAT could go wrong, and now there’s this malware in the Xcode developed kit used to make all Mac apps 

And let’s not forget the contrived antitrust cases being spun up now 

Beginning to look like an all out war on Apple because Apple chose to finally dump intel 

Of course, I’m just a conspiracy theorist.....
    What? You don't even make sense

TSMC decided to stop selling to Chinese firms, and so people left (or were poached)

XCode Malware has more to do with downloading unverified XCode projects. Probably via tutorial website. Considering most infections are in India & China.

Anti-trust cases are absolutely deserved. I should be able to decide what apps I install on MY phone, not Apple.

Dump Intel, yeah I doubt that. Maybe some fanboys and creative people will buy ARM. Rest of us, ain't touching it with a stick.

It's just that Apple has become the big boy now and so it's getting attention. The iPhone just got owned recently. Including it's so called "secure enclave"
    OferWarrenBuffduckhelijahgkillroy
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    lam92103  Anti-trust cases are absolutely deserved. I should be able to decide what apps I install on MY phone, not Apple.
    You can put whatever apps you want on an android phone. It’s that simple. 
    civarazorpitjony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Did someone seriously delete my reply to Lam92103? 

rezwits
  • Reply 5 of 18
    There certainly is a picture forming of yet another multifaceted and coordinated attack on Apple. 

Apple is poised to turn the entire industry on its head and absolutely dominate in all areas of computing. 

They’ve been THE software leader. And they’ve been the hardware leader on the phone and tablet side. 

They’ve been the App Store and business leader. 

And now they will tie it all together and press the lightspeed button with Mac hardware. 

Intel being dumped by Apple would tank them by itself, but the new popularity of the Mac fefinitely hurt them. Especially with Mac customers opting often for higher end CPUs. 

Now we see intel doing some face saving announcements like... GPUs. LOL

NO one on earth cares about Intel CPUs. 

There is nothing new. Intel is the same. AMD is doing well in x86 land. 

But... the writing is in the wall. The days of x86 dominance is over. Apple Silicon will own x86 in every category. 

And we will see others move from x86 if intel and AMD can’t innovate to compete. 

Gp, Dell, Samsung, Sony, razed, IBM, etc. will be stuck with slower processors and bulky, compromised designs while Apple moves on to far superior performance and greater degrees of design freedom. 

No one in the industry wants Apple to do what they are doing. They are ALL scared. Even Microsoft is reduced to complaining and trying to sue in court. Epic is reduced to complaining that they aren’t allowed to steal. 

Intel is reduced to pushing integrated GPU tech. And literally no one has a clue what to do. 

Apple has been DESIGNING their own CPUs for a while now. They purchased the best CPU design team known to man in P. A. SEMI from the end of the PowerPC days And have only grown in expertise since. Apple designs easily outperform the best ARM processors (as well as custom designs from Samsung etc) As well as popular x86 processors and that is in Highly constrained mobile devices. Notebooks and desktops open things up considerably. 

Apple controlling every component of their products is the stuff of dreams. No one else can do it. 

That’s why everyone is scared and basically rioting to ty to tear down Apples success. 

Come a looooong way from Michael Dell suggesting Apple be liquidated and the proceeds go to shareholders. 

The industry and many need outlets like msnbc and yahoo have been Anti-Apple for a long time. 

But it doesn’t natter. Apple doesn’t look at them. They simply keep striving to build the best products on the plant and being fueled by the salty tears of their detractors. 
    razorpitcivatobiankillroy
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mac_dog said:
    lam92103  Anti-trust cases are absolutely deserved. I should be able to decide what apps I install on MY phone, not Apple.
    Thx for that exciting, highly informative Pavlovian perspective when assessing Apple
    edited August 2020 elijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 18
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    mac_dog said:

And pay the price in malware.
    Rayz2016civajony0
  • Reply 8 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Another reason I’m so glad I use an iPad Pro for nearly everything these days.
    civakillroy
  • Reply 9 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    killroy said:
    mac_dog said:

I know it happens, more so with Android than iOS, and much more if side-loading outside of Google Play, tho it does happen on both.

Malware is a pretty broad category from simply scamming an ad network (adware), to irritating pop-up stuff to truly malicious, but still I've not ever encountered it in any form on any device I've used since buying the Verizon Droid 11 years ago, nor has any of my immediate family and the dozen+ devices purchased. TBH I've not ever heard of anyone I personally know encountering any truly malicious malware, with the worst I have knowledge of being a single piece of adware someone I knew had found some years ago and yes that was pretty irritating. 

Android malware is really not at all common, and actually harmful stuff exceedingly rare to the point it essentially doesn't exist as a menace to the vast majority of users. Our 2 primary mobile OS'es are very secure, and viruses like those found on desktop systems don't even exist. 
    edited August 2020 civajony0muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 18
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    killroy said:
    mac_dog said:

...and this is the point on that issue. A lot of us who use an iPhone chose it (among other factors) specifically because of the walled garden. That is a choice. Those who want to "decide what apps I install on MY phone" are in fact seeking to impose their idea of choice by taking away the choice so many of us have already made. Eliminating the App Store gateway into iOS devices opens the entire system to malware and reduces device users' security. That model already exists in the marketplace in the form of Android's OS. If you want complete autonomy to install anything on your phone, choose the device that has that feature. Don't force all devices to conform to your feature choice.
    civakillroyinTIMidatorjony0FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 18
    There certainly is a picture forming of yet another multifaceted and coordinated attack on Apple. 

Apple is poised to turn the entire industry on its head and absolutely dominate in all areas of computing. 

They’ve been THE software leader. And they’ve been the hardware leader on the phone and tablet side. 

They’ve been the App Store and business leader. 

And now they will tie it all together and press the lightspeed button with Mac hardware. 

Intel being dumped by Apple would tank them by itself, but the new popularity of the Mac fefinitely hurt them. Especially with Mac customers opting often for higher end CPUs. 

Now we see intel doing some face saving announcements like... GPUs. LOL

NO one on earth cares about Intel CPUs. 

There is nothing new. Intel is the same. AMD is doing well in x86 land. 

But... the writing is in the wall. The days of x86 dominance is over. Apple Silicon will own x86 in every category. 

And we will see others move from x86 if intel and AMD can’t innovate to compete. 

Gp, Dell, Samsung, Sony, razed, IBM, etc. will be stuck with slower processors and bulky, compromised designs while Apple moves on to far superior performance and greater degrees of design freedom. 

No one in the industry wants Apple to do what they are doing. They are ALL scared. Even Microsoft is reduced to complaining and trying to sue in court. Epic is reduced to complaining that they aren’t allowed to steal. 

Intel is reduced to pushing integrated GPU tech. And literally no one has a clue what to do. 

Apple has been DESIGNING their own CPUs for a while now. They purchased the best CPU design team known to man in P. A. SEMI from the end of the PowerPC days And have only grown in expertise since. Apple designs easily outperform the best ARM processors (as well as custom designs from Samsung etc) As well as popular x86 processors and that is in Highly constrained mobile devices. Notebooks and desktops open things up considerably. 

Apple controlling every component of their products is the stuff of dreams. No one else can do it. 

That’s why everyone is scared and basically rioting to ty to tear down Apples success. 

Come a looooong way from Michael Dell suggesting Apple be liquidated and the proceeds go to shareholders. 

The industry and many need outlets like msnbc and yahoo have been Anti-Apple for a long time. 

But it doesn’t natter. Apple doesn’t look at them. They simply keep striving to build the best products on the plant and being fueled by the salty tears of their detractors. 
    As I said in my somehow deleted reply to LAM, the timing is suspicious 
    killroy
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I had also stated to LAM that he could put whatever he wanted on an android phone, but, again, MJ comment was deleted. 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Apple needs to get onto of this very quickly.  If malicious code sneaks in via the developer without being noticed then it will be very bad publicity for Apple.

On the other hand it may reinforce Apple's assertion that a regulated App Store is the only way to ensure that virus and worms don't get into third party apps.
    civadysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Oh please, not more conspiracy theories. 🤦🏽‍♂️
  • Reply 15 of 18
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    And why is this site one of the only sites that still doesn’t support emoji? [FACEPALM]

Edit: Huh. Refresh the page and it shows properly. That’s still a bug, though, like all the “breaks autocomplete/autocorrect” bugs on new lines. 
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I have been developing code for Apple products for 40 years and I have no idea what this means:
    Trend Micro recommends that project owners "continue to triple-check the integrity of their projects in order to definitely nip unwarranted problems such as a malware infection in the future."
    civa
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I have been developing code for Apple products for 40 years and I have no idea what this means:
    It means "We have been getting sidelined by Apple's better security and we need to point out that there are still vulnerabilities out there... somewhere... and if you're a Windows developer, that Xcode is a pretty scary environment, beware! BEWARE!"
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Another reason I’m so glad I use an iPad Pro for nearly everything these days.
    Xcode is used to build iPads and iPhones  apps, so theoretically couldnt a modified version of this target them too?  While these devices have sandboxing, which helps, there’s the potential someone figures out how to break out of it.