2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Bart Y said:
    jcbigears said:
    Just practicing my email:
    Dear Tim,
    Please make the ECG feature available to Australians.
    Your company has registered devices with the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods already https://bit.ly/3h2tZnt
    The ARTG accepts evidence from overseas regulators including FDA, Health Canada, European Union and Japan https://bit.ly/3kObtkR
    Please?
    Thanking you,
    John
    jcbigears said:
    It is already there. It's your regulators or government that are likely the issue. Weird, considering how long ago the US FDA approved this for the Watch.
    How do you know it's already there?
    All Apple Watches have the same hardware, simply because it’s easier to build one hardware module per series and encase in different materials. The hardware works in conjunction with approved apps in each country which allow hardware functionality and software management and monitoring.  For example, all Watches have a version of a pulse oximeter which is derived from the pulse monitor.  However, it’s never been turned on because either Apple has not asked for or received approval for it (in various countries) or it is not accurate enough (unlikely).  Pulse oximetry is rumored to be available with Watch 6 and / or the next Watch OS update.  We will see if all versions of Watch with the capability will activate this function.

ECG hardware function is built into Watch 4 and 5, but only turned on in countries where it has received regulatory approval.  But approvals can be slow or lobbied against by other device makers or the medical establishment.  For example, S. Korea has just approved ECG function after 2 years.  This came on the heels of  of approval of similar function for the new Samsung Watch 3.

both you and I hope that Apple has applied for various Watch health functions to be approved in most countries it sells Watches in, but the speed (or slowness) of approval is in the hands of governmental health departments or ministries, most of whom have been quite occupied recently.  That is no excuse, but it is reality.

Yes!  Good points!
    Apple is stepping into medical territory and as such needs the approval of the medical authorities in each county it operates in.  
    Australian's gripe is with their own government rather than Apple.

Unfortunately, much of governmental medical regulations have as much or more to do with the health of the healthcare industry as they do the health of the people.   The health care industry tends to proclaim:   "Only WE can perform this function safely and accurately!"  And, healthcare providers (physicians and nurses) are trained and conditioned to only accept results they themselves obtain.

Apple is breaking those walls down slowly but surely.
    From my own experience:   I just went to my doctor's office for my annual physical and checkup.   I actually do a more complete and accurate physical assessment of myself by myself nearly everyday than my physician and her nurses did!   The only reason for me to have the physical is to obtain physician's order for stuff I am prohibited from doing on my own -- such as having my cholesterol levels checked.

Apple's progress in breaking down the walls built by the healthcare industry using government mandates will be slow, but sure.    At this point for instance, most physicians realize that home blood pressure monitoring is more effective and accurate than what they do themselves in their offices.   But yet few will accept the results from home blood pressure monitoring.   Go figure!
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 22 of 36
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Beats said:
    Now that interaction with Tim Cook is possible, with a definite sign of product engagement from his side, may I advise him to make AppleWatch charging QI compatible. Advantage would be 5-fold:
    1. Better reliability and less placement sensitivity
    2. Easening critical charging implementation like Airpower
    3. Anticipating on future reverse charging
    4. Less internal production cost for Apple
    5. Lessening Apple’s public anti-trust profile by opening up a standard that shouldn’t have been proprietary in the first place

The 5th one is so dumb. The tech industry has become like PC culture. You can't invent anything for yourself and it's offensive if you don't share your success.
    Like a vaccine for Covid-19?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:
    Does expect the Apple Watch to tell anything while you are having a heart attack, just ask a good friend of mine. 

Yes, we know.   So does Apple.
    That's why they broadcast very loudly and clearly that Apple Watch does not and cannot detect heart attack!  

If you buy a Porsche, do you criticize the car for not carrying that load of topsoil you wanted?
    ... Please stop your silly attacks.
    No stop Apple propaganda, your savior, don't question Apple, don't demand anything and be grateful for what you got.
    How would you expect the current Apple Watch to detect a heart attack? Afib is an electrical issue while a heart attack is a blockage. 
  • Reply 24 of 36
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:
    Does expect the Apple Watch to tell anything while you are having a heart attack, just ask a good friend of mine. 

That's why they broadcast very loudly and clearly that Apple Watch does not and cannot detect heart attack!  

If you buy a Porsche, do you criticize the car for not carrying that load of topsoil you wanted?
    No stop Apple propaganda, your savior, don't question Apple, don't demand anything and be grateful for what you got.

LOL....   I respect Apple and what they do and how they do it (usually).   But I am as quick to criticize them as to praise them -- depending.

In this case, reality shows that your criticism is unwarranted because Apple makes it very, very clear the watch is not capable of detecting heart attacks.   A prior post actually showed a screen shot of one of those multiple warnings.

So, why do you keep condemning them for not doing something they say up front not to expect?
    aderutterking editor the grateDetnator
  • Reply 25 of 36
    While an Apple Watch can’t detect a heart attack, first aiders (and each of us) can use the heart rate monitor.

I know someone who was having a major heart attack, he just thought it was a chest infection and had been having chest pains off and on for a few weeks, but as he kept not feeling well his friend got a first aider to look at him (they were at a venue away from home).
    First thing the first aider did was notice he had an Apple Watch on so took his heart rate which should have been around 60 but was actually double that when he was sat doing nothing. Ambulance came, paramedics confirmed he was having a heart attack and his life was likely saved. He had 3 stents put in the LAD artery that day. This chap was fit and used to row 13km a few times a week. Think Bob Harper scenario.

So no, an Apple Watch can’t detect a heart attack but is still useful in this type of scenario.
    sphericking editor the grateDetnator
  • Reply 26 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Even in a thread like this, where one would think there is nothing to criticize, we get pathetic trolls like WarrenBuffduckh,  Spice-Boy, and scrutinizer789

Xedking editor the grateequality72521
  • Reply 27 of 36
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    slurpy said:
    Even in a thread like this, where one would think there is nothing to criticize, we get pathetic trolls like WarrenBuffduckh,  Spice-Boy, and scrutinizer789
    Right?! Apple adds Afib detection in the Apple Watch but trolls bitch because it doesn't detect every possible cardiovascular problem. It's people like them that cause our Apple devices to go up in price because Apple has to factor in excessive costs for dealing with frivolous lawsuits.
    GeorgeBMacking editor the grateDetnator
  • Reply 28 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:

It also doesn’t detect opioid overdose, pregnancy, or athlete’s foot. 

Please be outraged.
    GeorgeBMacRayz2016king editor the grateDetnatorequality72521
  • Reply 29 of 36
    The app for AFib works ok.  However Apple has an issue with its heart rate app.  It often spike when heart rate app is asked to measure a heart rate or when a workout app is opened.  Apple is aware of the issues but after 3 years, the engineers still can't figure out to correct it.  Therefore, it make the entire app for both AFib and heart rate questionable and suspect as best.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Bart Y said:
    jcbigears said:
    Just practicing my email:
    Dear Tim,
    Please make the ECG feature available to Australians.
    Your company has registered devices with the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods already https://bit.ly/3h2tZnt
    The ARTG accepts evidence from overseas regulators including FDA, Health Canada, European Union and Japan https://bit.ly/3kObtkR
    Please?
    Thanking you,
    John
    jcbigears said:
    It is already there. It's your regulators or government that are likely the issue. Weird, considering how long ago the US FDA approved this for the Watch.
    How do you know it's already there?
    All Apple Watches have the same hardware, simply because it’s easier to build one hardware module per series and encase in different materials. The hardware works in conjunction with approved apps in each country which allow hardware functionality and software management and monitoring.  For example, all Watches have a version of a pulse oximeter which is derived from the pulse monitor.  However, it’s never been turned on because either Apple has not asked for or received approval for it (in various countries) or it is not accurate enough (unlikely).  Pulse oximetry is rumored to be available with Watch 6 and / or the next Watch OS update.  We will see if all versions of Watch with the capability will activate this function.

ECG hardware function is built into Watch 4 and 5, but only turned on in countries where it has received regulatory approval.  But approvals can be slow or lobbied against by other device makers or the medical establishment.  For example, S. Korea has just approved ECG function after 2 years.  This came on the heels of  of approval of similar function for the new Samsung Watch 3.

both you and I hope that Apple has applied for various Watch health functions to be approved in most countries it sells Watches in, but the speed (or slowness) of approval is in the hands of governmental health departments or ministries, most of whom have been quite occupied recently.  That is no excuse, but it is reality.
    I guess I'm after some reassurance that the paperwork has been submitted. I have colleagues who have had implantable devices approved within a few months when based on overseas approvals.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    jak30022 said:
    The app for AFib works ok.  However Apple has an issue with its heart rate app.  It often spike when heart rate app is asked to measure a heart rate or when a workout app is opened.  Apple is aware of the issues but after 3 years, the engineers still can't figure out to correct it.  Therefore, it make the entire app for both AFib and heart rate questionable and suspect as best.

Are you sure its not your heart spiking?
    Mine often does for a minute or so when I first start a run -- it shows up whether I'm using my Apple Watch or a chest strap.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    The smallest thing I went back on my Apple Watch is being able to “lock” the screen when I have it on. I do the water feature for now. Don’t know why it ever went away. 
  • Reply 33 of 36
    I had a similar experience.

On June 15, I was sitting quietly, watching TV when I got an alert from my Apple Watch: Your heart rate rose above 120BPM while you seemed to be for 10 minutes starting at 11:35 pm.”

I felt perfectly fine, but I took my heart rate, and sure enough, it was 130.

I sent a report from my Health App to my doctor, and she called me he moment she read it, telling me to go to the hospital. Three hours later, I found that I was in congestive heart failure, and my heart was working at 30 percent capacity. The cardiologist said I would have been dead within months had I not come in.

Bottom line: Apple Watch saved my life.
    sphericGeorgeBMacDetnatorequality72521anantksundaram
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    spice-boy said:
    I don't have to ask your friend; I can see it that it doesn't by reading it on the Apple Watch screen.

But thanks for reminding us – again – how important it is to … you know … read stuff.

Xedking editor the grateDetnatorequality72521
  • Reply 35 of 36
    I had a similar experience.

On June 15, I was sitting quietly, watching TV when I got an alert from my Apple Watch: Your heart rate rose above 120BPM while you seemed to be for 10 minutes starting at 11:35 pm.”

I felt perfectly fine, but I took my heart rate, and sure enough, it was 130.

I sent a report from my Health App to my doctor, and she called me he moment she read it, telling me to go to the hospital. Three hours later, I found that I was in congestive heart failure, and my heart was working at 30 percent capacity. The cardiologist said I would have been dead within months had I not come in.

Bottom line: Apple Watch saved my life.

That's great!   Good job for doing the right thing!    And I hope you are doing better.

I agree that the AppleWatch likely saved your life.   Have you emailed your story to Tim?   It sound like he would be interested in it.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    slurpy said:

Thank you for showing attention to my person. What is your definition of a "troll"? Does it include posters with only 5 posts overall or is it all who you dislike?
    Xed said:
    slurpy said:
    Right?! Apple adds Afib detection in the Apple Watch but trolls bitch because it doesn't detect every possible cardiovascular problem. It's people like them that cause our Apple devices to go up in price because Apple has to factor in excessive costs for dealing with frivolous lawsuits.

This is, in fact, a very subtle trolling which I applaud feverishly.