Apple offering CBS, Showtime as a $9.99 Apple TV+ add-on bundle

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

I admit, this is completely out of my wheelhouse even as an investor. I can't imagine why people pay for all these different services. In our family, there's too much of a content glut... I ripped all of our old DVDs for the kids and 100's of blurays. The last issue is quantity. How do people have the time to watch so much tv?
    There are still a large number of people unemployed or “underemployed” due to the States reactions to COVID.
    I think you mean due to the failed federal response me inability to contain COVID.

However, people have always had time to watch what they enjoy. What a strange thing to suggest otherwise. 
    tmaymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    BGnATC said:
    I admit, this is completely out of my wheelhouse even as an investor. I can't imagine why people pay for all these different services. In our family, there's too much of a content glut... I ripped all of our old DVDs for the kids and 100's of blurays. The last issue is quantity. How do people have the time to watch so much tv?
    Often times it’s just for one show. I want to watch the new Star Trek shows and CBSAA is the only way to do that in the US. That, combined with the fact that I can use apple’s native app rather than CBS’s app (which is TERRIBLE), is of value to me. 
    In Canada the Star Trek series are not on CBSAA, which p****s my wife off. We have to get Crave up here for them.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    rs0212 said:
    I've tried CBS All Access before through Apple TV Channels. I cancelled it and started the subscription back up through my Roku because the Apple TV version didn't give me access to the Big Brother Live Feeds
    You can get that through CBS app. 
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Anyone know after signing up for this how CBS & Showtime can be accessed via their respective apps rather than accessing in Apple Channels?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I signed up today.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    BGnATC said:
    Often times it’s just for one show. I want to watch the new Star Trek shows and CBSAA is the only way to do that in the US. That, combined with the fact that I can use apple’s native app rather than CBS’s app (which is TERRIBLE), is of value to me. 
    I guess I'm surprised people buy passes for a single show when there's easy access to them from friends or online for free. I guess it's official: companies have made access so simple and easy that people happily pay for this content. 
    If the mechanisms were identically simple, most people would rather legally pay for the content they want, rather than illegally bittorent it. We know this already -- the very popular Napster and the like went away after iTunes popularized .99-cent song purchases, back when the studios wanted everyone to buy CDs.

I have purchased many seasons of shows on iTunes right on my Apple TV. 
    BGnATC
  • Reply 27 of 34
    BGnATCBGnATC Posts: 23member
    BGnATC said:
    I guess I'm surprised people buy passes for a single show when there's easy access to them from friends or online for free. I guess it's official: companies have made access so simple and easy that people happily pay for this content. 
    This may come as a surprise you to, but shows cost money to make. ALL things worth having cost money, and I don’t mind paying reasonable prices for the things I want. We are in a tv golden age right now because studios have finally figured out how to monetize their shows. The alternative is the plague of reality tv shows we had in the early 2000s, which were universally terrible but cheap to make. 
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 28 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

There are still a large number of people unemployed or “underemployed” due to the States reactions to COVID.
    I think you mean due to the failed federal response me inability to contain COVID.

However, people have always had time to watch what they enjoy. What a strange thing to suggest otherwise. 
    No, I don’t mean that. You mean that.

The States are responsible for their own policies. The Federal government just makes recommendations (they put forth the opinions of the CDC and WHO and while both have been problematic, they were the supposed best sources of information at the time) and the States may choose to follow them or they may enact their own standards. This is how our Republic works.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Anyone know after signing up for this how CBS & Showtime can be accessed via their respective apps rather than accessing in Apple Channels?
    I haven’t tried with showtime, but you can’t do that with CBS. You’ll watch through the “channel” within the Apple TV app, and honestly CBS’s own app is really glitchy so this is actually an improvement. In fact, it’s actually what sold me on the bundle. 
  • Reply 30 of 34
    matrix077 said:
    rs0212 said:
    I've tried CBS All Access before through Apple TV Channels. I cancelled it and started the subscription back up through my Roku because the Apple TV version didn't give me access to the Big Brother Live Feeds
    You can get that through CBS app. 
    That’s interesting — does it also work for live feeds that are CBS All Access only? I posted the following on Ars Technica just now:

Currently there is at least one major difference between the Apple TV Channels version of CBS All Access and the version you get if you are subscribing via the CBS app for tvOS — the Channels version does not have live sports. So the Champions League match that is currently live as I type this (Leipzig v. Paris) is only viewable on the tvOS app.

I know this because I signed up for the bundle today, but my old subscription via the app is still active. So I have them both, but they are not the same. The Channel has replays and highlights, but it doesn’t have access to the live feeds.

I hope Apple can get this straightened out. As of right now, CBS All Access via the tv Channel is not “all access.” !!!
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 31 of 34
    DAalseth said:
    BGnATC said:
    In Canada the Star Trek series are not on CBSAA, which p****s my wife off. We have to get Crave up here for them.
    No Netflix? I thought they had the license outside the US. 
  • Reply 32 of 34
    BGnATC said:
    I haven’t tried with showtime, but you can’t do that with CBS. You’ll watch through the “channel” within the Apple TV app, and honestly CBS’s own app is really glitchy so this is actually an improvement. In fact, it’s actually what sold me on the bundle. 
    Okay, I can’t reply to my own post above, so I’ll use this one, which is in the same arena.

There was a helpful response on Ars Technica, pointing me to this:

https://cbs.com/apple

That page allows you to use your Apple ID to link your tv Channels CBS All Access subscription to a CBS account. Once you’ve done that, you can sign into the CBS app in tvOS using the linked CBS account and you’re good to go for live TV beyond your local CBS station in the CBS app, including the live Champions League matches I mentioned in my post (see above). Works perfectly. In macOS (in Safari), you can also add your TV provider. I’m not sure what functionality that adds, but it doesn’t seem to hurt.

Next up: figuring out how the NBC and NBC Sports apps relate to the Peacock app...
    edited August 2020 BGnATC
  • Reply 33 of 34
    BGnATC said:
    Okay, I can’t reply to my own post above, so I’ll use this one, which is in the same arena.

There was a helpful response on Ars Technica, pointing me to this:

https://cbs.com/apple

That page allows you to use your Apple ID to link your tv Channels CBS All Access subscription to a CBS account. Once you’ve done that, you can sign into the CBS app in tvOS using the linked CBS account and you’re good to go for live TV beyond your local CBS station in the CBS app, including the live Champions League matches I mentioned in my post (see above). Works perfectly. In macOS (in Safari), you can also add your TV provider. I’m not sure what functionality that adds, but it doesn’t seem to hurt.

Next up: figuring out how the NBC and NBC Sports apps relate to the Peacock app...
    Good info! I hadn’t seen that. 

Still, CBS’s app is pretty bad though, so if you don’t require it for one of their features not available in Apple’s Channels, I’d recommend just using apple’s app.