Old-school AI

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    my last user profile said january 1999, but i could swear i've been here longer than that. i want to say i was even posting around the debut of th eimac, which would be summer '98, but maybe i was just lurking/reading at the time.

p.s. barrysharp! hell, i remember you! so i must've been around when you were posting, too. was it you who started the whole "my cat can eat a watermelon" thing? or was that someone else..?
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Monty Python's Flying Circus -

"Four Yorkshiremen"

[ from the album Live At Drury Lane, 1974 ]

The Scene:

Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.

'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: You're right there, Obediah.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: A cup o' cold tea.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Without milk or sugar.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Or tea.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: In a cracked cup, an' all.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Aye, 'e was right.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Aye, 'e was.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpolin, but it was a house to us.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Cardboard box?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Aye.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL: They won't!
  • Reply 43 of 78
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I was a lurker before the first big blackout in 2001 during the glory days of Dorsal. He turned out phoney, but we all - except for JYD - fell for his great stories of cases with hidden feet and DDR motherboards.

I registered as soon as AI went back up.

Barto
  • Reply 44 of 78
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Monty Python's Flying Circus - "Four Yorkshiremen"

Well said, Retrograde. Might I add Al Yankovic's wise words from the song When I Was Your Age on the album Off the Deep End (1992)?

"Well, nobody ever drove me to school when it was ninety degrees below

We had to walk buck naked through forty miles of snow

Worked in the coal mines twenty two hours a day for just half a cent

Had to sell me internal organs just to pay the rent"

Escher
  • Reply 45 of 78
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I came in 1999 as G4Me when I got my 400mhz G4 tower. Man. those were the days, I was a freshman in high school.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Might I add Al Yankovic's wise words from the song When I Was Your Age on the album Off the Deep End (1992)?

Thanks for the heads up on the Yankovic song: I haven't listened to him since I was a kid and wasn't aware of this song which very much fits with my thoughts on threads like these. I like reminiscing as much as anyone, but sometimes "memory lane" is used less as a way of remembering great times and more as a way to prove one's legitimacy or "naturalise" one's right to be considered. I guess I mean that it can be implicitly used as a measure for member's legitimacy, as credentials or an endorsement of their worthiness. In any case, I'm sure most people just want to relive the "good old days" and others who are new just want to know what those "good old days" were

I think I might go back and find some old "Weird Al" songs and reminisc some more
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

I think I might go back and find some old "Weird Al" songs and reminisc some more

Talking about olden times, maybe you could start with an Amish Paradise from the album Bad Hair Day. I hear that even though Snoop Dogg doesn't like to reminisce about Weird Al covering his song without approval, he's collecting lots of royalties off Weird Al's album sales.

Back on topic, I do miss the Old-school AI. AFAIR, the AI boards didn't exist before October or November of 1998. So anybody who claims he registered or lurked before then is probably a phony, lacking any legitimacy on AI. Or maybe their memory is getting foggy, just like mine. \

Escher
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:

Talking about olden times, maybe you could start with an Amish Paradise from the album Bad Hair Day. I hear that even though Snoop Dogg doesn't like to reminisce about Weird Al covering his song without approval, he's collecting lots of royalties off Weird Al's album sales.

Back on topic, I do miss the Old-school AI. AFAIR, the AI boards didn't exist before October or November of 1998. So anybody who claims he registered or lurked before then is probably a phony, lacking any legitimacy on AI. Or maybe their memory is getting foggy, just like mine. \

Escher

I too miss the "Old-school" AI and the destruction or dispersal of that was what annoyed me about the balckout and why I spent some time on the MacNN forums annoying people in the Lounge as one of the "AI Refugees" as we were branded. Change is inevitable and people come and go but the blackout very swiftly altered the face of AI in a rather unnatural way But let's seize the day and make an early toast to the coming of a "New-school" AI

I am, as I type, in the hunt for Amish Paradise
  • Reply 49 of 78
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    God I was around in '99. but I never registered 'till like May or March of 2000. I think. Wow was that a long time ago.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

God I was around in '99. but I never registered 'till like May or March of 2000. I think. Wow was that a long time ago.

jhtrih, right?

or something of the sort?

i was around as a lurker pre-blackout. i came on board when i clicked a link from a mainstream news site after the cube incident.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

I hear that even though Snoop Dogg doesn't like to reminisce about Weird Al covering his song without approval, he's collecting lots of royalties off Weird Al's album sales.

Coolio, not Snoop Dogg, although that would've been even better.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Been around forever.... and still hoping.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Sept or Oct 1998, registered as "e tutti pi eye", IIRC. I had way too many usernames on different forums, so I consolidated them all to this one.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neye_eve

Sept or Oct 1998, registered as "e tutti pi eye", IIRC. I had way too many usernames on different forums, so I consolidated them all to this one.

Hehe, I remember that username. Man, I can't be that old...
  • Reply 55 of 78
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    '99
  • Reply 56 of 78
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    I was hooked on AI in the months leading up to the B&W G3 release. Rightfully suspecting that Apple had some big things up it's sleave, I spent time lurking at AI, feeding like a vampire many years without blood, on what trickle of hope could be wrung from the cold stones of rumour.

You know, I have not felt quite like that since then... until now that is. The rumours in late 1998 were thick and fast, and there was real hope that the G3 would be liberated by the rumoured fast 100MHz FSB. And then the new case blew everyone away. It was a warm fuzzy feeling that I had all but forgotten. Today, however, I'm getting the same vibe from Apple and the community again. There is a feeling of revolution in the air. Big things are afoot. The wind is turning. etc etc. It's like the air is charged with static, and your just waiting for the pop.

The G4 launch was not like that at all. Altivec hype nothwithstanding.

edit: speling...
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

jhtrih, right?

Ooh, I remember jhtrih. Didn't he have a signature that said something like "There is only one jhtrih"?

Quote:

i was around as a lurker pre-blackout. i came on board when i clicked a link from a mainstream news site after the cube incident.

I admire your quick rise to power, Jonathan. For some reason, I remember Monish, Kasper and "Prince MacLean" being from the DC Metro area. Was there some sort of local connection?

Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Coolio, not Snoop Dogg, although that would've been even better.

They both have dreadlocks though, right? I guess that's what I get for listening exclusively to Weird Al's versions, I forget who the original artists are.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

Been around forever.... and still hoping.

That sounds about right, Mandricard. I learned the saying that "hope springs eternal" from you. My best AI memories revolve around conversations with Mandricard and kormac76. It's also quite funny that Mandricard and I were both in NYC, and then moved South at the same time during the summer of 2000 to attend graduate school. I'm still hopeing that one day we will be able to sit down with kormac76 and offer him that promised drink.

Escher
  • Reply 58 of 78
    neye_eveneye_eve Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Hehe, I remember that username. Man, I can't be that old...

Hey - that's cool! I'm glad some one remembers me I'm also glad to be able to confirm that I used that name.

Neat stuff,

neye

PS, if ever wondered how that name got started, I initially used "negative one" since I was constantly berating apple for a phase. decided I didn't like it, it was too dour, so I'd come up with an equivalence, on that it seems you'd appreciate given your background.

Hence:

e tutti pi eye =

(e^(pi)*i) =

-1 =

"negative one"

• Reply 59 of 78
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I remember e tutti pi eye also.

A trip to the Wayback Machine reminded me that I've been here since Sept 17, 1999. Yikes.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neye_eve

S, if ever wondered how that name got started, ...

Hence:

e tutti pi eye =

(e^(pi)*i) =

-1 =

"negative one"

Actually, I remember an entire subthread on what "e tutti pi eye" meant. We were trying to desconstruct your name, and yes math entered the picture! But I don't recall someone figuring it out.