Apple first U.S. company to hit $2 trillion market cap

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited August 2020
Apple has become the first publicly traded U.S. company to hit a $2 trillion market capitalization, with shares of AAPL hitting $467.77 during intra-day trading.

Apple $2 trillion market cap

Apple's valuation crossed the $467.77 threshold for a $2 trillion valuation briefly on Wednesday. At press time, the share price is oscillating around the threshold.

The valuation comes shortly after Apple blew away all expectations for the June quarter. In that earnings report, Apple reported revenue of $59.7 billion for the third quarter of 2020, profoundly beating Wall Street estimates, in a quarter where the company continued to feel the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Overall revenue for Apple was up 11% from Q3 2019, when it reported a record-setting $53.8 billion.

At the same time, the company also announced a four-to-one stock split. Each Apple shareholder of record at the close of business on August 24, 2020 will receive three additional shares for every share held on the record date, and trading will begin on a split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020.

Apple was the first U.S. company in history to hit a market valuation of $1 trillion -- an achievement that it reached in August 2018. In June, Apple became the first publicly traded company to hit a $1.5 trillion market valuation.

The company's total count of shares has been sliding over the past few years due to aggressive stock buyback programs. The fewer number of shares are reflected in market capitalization calculations, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 82member
    Integrity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 56
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 231member
    Doomed! LOL
    Beatscornchipbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    A long way to go before they’re in Dutch East India Co. territory (about $7 trillion valuation), but it’s a start. ;)
    pscooter63randominternetpersoncornchipJWSCbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 56
    The first trillion is always the hardest to get to.
    BeatsMisterKitcornchipJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    “Beleaguered Apple”. 

Amazing especially since Apple devices aren’t “essential” like Oil/gas, utilities, etc. also amazing since there are cheaper alternatives that customers could choose. 
    flyingdpradarthekatrandominternetpersoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 56
    So serious question here. I used to be an Apple stock holder years ago but was advised to get out since investing in single stocks is too risky. Being a little better off than a few years ago, I’d like to buy again. But should I buy now or wait til after the
    split? I know it doesn’t make much of a difference, but asking for insight anyway.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 56
    So serious question here. I used to be an Apple stock holder years ago but was advised to get out since investing in single stocks is too risky. Being a little better off than a few years ago, I’d like to buy again. But should I buy now or wait til after the
    split? I know it doesn’t make much of a difference, but asking for insight anyway.
    It makes no difference. If AAPL continues to grow, the stock will grow. If they are beset with catastrophe beyond their control, things won’t go as well.
    aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 56
    McJobsMcJobs Posts: 29member
    Just GettinStarted

Beatsradarthekatlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 56
    A long way to go before they’re in Dutch East India Co. territory (about $7 trillion valuation), but it’s a start. ;)
    Groan, here we go again, with an utterly bogus valuation comparison. 

Btw, the guy that invented wheel is worth 700 billion trillion in today’s dollars, so please stop. 
    edited August 2020 ronnflyingdpXedJapheycornchipStrangeDaysericthehalfbeeMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Groan, here we go again, with an utterly bogus valuation comparison. 

Btw, the guy that invented wheel is worth 700 billion trillion in today’s dollars, so please stop. 
    Dude, lighten up. They don’t exist today. It was a joke. 
    pscooter63flyingdpJWSCbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 56
    john_tjohn_t Posts: 12member
    And they asked for 50% off their rent in the UK during the corona crisis. Nice.
    JWSClkrupp
  • Reply 12 of 56
    john_t said:
    And they asked for 50% off their rent in the UK during the corona crisis. Nice.
    They should’ve asked for 60%.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Magnificent company, magnificent valuation, led by an incredible CEO. A massive achievement, so kudos to all at Apple for producing world-beating products and services, in the process creating outsized value for both consumers and shareholders. 

But a hard-nosed investor has to assume that expected returns will be lower going forward. Which is ok. 
    ronnBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If you have money now, buy it. As it stands now, it’ll be cheaper now than it would be when it splits for the same $$$ investment. 
    BeberezwitsBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money.

Steve Balmer was right about one thing in 2007.

radarthekatcornchipJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    B-Mc-CB-Mc-C Posts: 41member
    I am thinking now is the time to trim just a little. I’ve read Epic’s motion for temporary restraining order and I found the hearing on the calendar for next Monday with Edward Chen. I researched the judge and feel like there is a strong chance Epic secures injunctive relief at least until they lose in the end, which could take ages. In the meantime, they’ll be allowed to violate their developer agreement all they want and there’s nothing Apple can do about it.
    johnbear
  • Reply 17 of 56
    B-Mc-C said:
    I am thinking now is the time to trim just a little. I’ve read Epic’s motion for temporary restraining order and I found the hearing on the calendar for next Monday with Edward Chen. I researched the judge and feel like there is a strong chance Epic secures injunctive relief at least until they lose in the end, which could take ages. In the meantime, they’ll be allowed to violate their developer agreement all they want and there’s nothing Apple can do about it.
    I’m betting you’re wrong on all counts.
    aderuttertmayGG1radarthekatcornchipJWSClolliver
  • Reply 18 of 56
    It would be nice if they could double again in the next 3 years :)
    That’s my target lol

In terms of the Epic shenanigans I feel that the worst case scenario is that the courts allow Fortnite back in the app-store as long as it adheres to the agreement until any final courts decisions. So worst case Apple keep making money from Fortnite purchases... I get the feeling Epic wouldn’t put the app back though, they’d rather cut off their own nose is my guess.

[edited to remove extra line feeds - Moderator]
    edited August 2020 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Thanks, AAPL  B)

jeffythequickwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    B-Mc-C said:
    There isn't any need for injunctive relief, nor a temporary restraining order, as Apple has only asked that Epic meet its responsibilities as a developer, and requirements for inclusion in the store. Epic could easily meet those requirements without impacting the lawsuits.

Epic did all of this "grandstanding" to gain attention. That happened, and from here on, it will be all legal decisions and regulatory solutions, not opinions of the tech community.
    dave marshronnStrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra