Apple Oakridge Center to close until 2024, new & larger flagship forthcoming

Posted:
in General Discussion
Vancouver's Oakridge Center will begin major renovations, including a significant upgrade for the on-site Apple Store, Apple Oakridge Center.

Apple Oakridge Center to close until 2024 as mall undergoes redevelopment

The shopping mall plans to close its doors at the end of September until 2024, as the mall undergoes a complete overhaul. When the mall reopens, it will serve as a mixed-use "city center," and be the most extensive development in the city's history.

Apple Oakridge Center will also be closing its doors during this time. According to plans shown to Retail Insider, it will be redesigned as a 10,000 square foot space located alongside luxury brand stores in the mall's "lux run."

The store is still currently open and will remain so until September. Customers can visit the store to pick up online orders and customers are still able to schedule Genius Bar appointments.

As with many locations, the coronavirus pandemic has changed how the store operates. Customers are required to wear masks, have their temperature before entering the store, and obey social distancing protocols.

Once Oakridge Center closes, customers will need to visit one of the other Apple Stores in British Columbia: Apple Metrotown, Apple Coquitlam Center, Apple Richmond Center, Apple Guildford Town Center, or Apple Pacific Center. Apple Pacific Center is the only other Apple Store located within the city of Vancouver.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Sounds like they're doing the only appropriate thing to do with a mall - tearing it down.

The shopping mall's days are coming to an end.  People are sick of them.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    darkvader said:
    Sounds like they're doing the only appropriate thing to do with a mall - tearing it down.

People are afraid of them. Wrongly, in my opinion. It’s possible malls will be redesigned to be mostly outdoor businesses instead of covered ones in order for them to survive these times. Perceptions have overrun reality.
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    darkvader said:

Actually, the redevelopment plan for the mall and surrounding area includes up to 17 incredibly sculptured high-rise condominium towers.  Some of the towers will be 40 and 50 stories high. Most likely Apple will have a flag ship store in this location.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    darkvader said:
    People are afraid of them. Wrongly, in my opinion. It’s possible malls will be redesigned to be mostly outdoor businesses instead of covered ones in order for them to survive these times. Perceptions have overrun reality.
    The last mall standing in my city has devolved into a lightning rod for petty crime, as the more affluent/aspirational class fled to an open-air complex across town some years back (where the Apple Store also lives).

A real pity, as it's still a nice/useful facility... just overrun with whatever junk stores they could attract, rather then A-listers.  I still visit a couple of the (A-list) anchor stores occasionally, but the rest?  Meh.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    darkvader said:

A local mall converted to this outdoor model 15 years ago and it's thriving but it's BORING ASF!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    darkvader said:

People may be at the moment, but the decline of malls is decades in the making. Their decline has been in parallel with the rise of online shopping. Covid isn't helping, but the seeds were a long time coming. 
    Scot1 said:
    darkvader said:

Actually, the redevelopment plan for the mall and surrounding area includes up to 17 incredibly sculptured high-rise condominium towers.  Some of the towers will be 40 and 50 stories high. Most likely Apple will have a flag ship store in this location.
    I've heard of a number of malls that are following this plan. Redevelop with attached apartments or condos so you have a guaranteed customer base. It's a great idea, and about the only thing that will save them.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 7 of 7
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    darkvader said:

You could be right. That’s certainly the “town center” design motif referred to as the new construction strategy.