Apple first U.S. company to hit $2 trillion market cap

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    A long way to go before they’re in Dutch East India Co. territory (about $7 trillion valuation), but it’s a start. ;)
    Groan, here we go again, with an utterly bogus valuation comparison. 

Btw, the guy that invented wheel is worth 700 billion trillion in today’s dollars, so please stop. 
    Dude, lighten up. They don’t exist today. It was a joke. 
    I was wondering if they were still around. 
  • Reply 22 of 56
    My feeling is that no one is forcing them to use the App Store.  If they don’t want to comply with the terms, stick to Android and PCs.  Apple may be large, but they are definitely NOT a monopoly.  Epic has options for selling their products.
    randominternetpersonBeatscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 56
    john_t said:
    And they asked for 50% off their rent in the UK during the corona crisis. Nice.
    Just like all the other retailers. Many were asking for year long rent holidays.
    If all the people renting your properties ask for discounts it is harder for the landlord to say no. If one prominent renter does not join in, then it is far easier to get a resounding 'No'.

ronnradarthekatcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Wait, I thought Tim Cook was trash and Apple is doomed? That's what we've been hearing from Op-Eds every single day since SJ's departure. Hey, there's always next quarter! 

pscooter63ronnradarthekatcornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    daven said:
    A long way to go before they’re in Dutch East India Co. territory (about $7 trillion valuation), but it’s a start. ;)

Btw, the guy that invented wheel is worth 700 billion trillion in today’s dollars, so please stop. 
    I was wondering if they were still around. 
    “Defunct 1800”
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company
  • Reply 26 of 56

Except that the guy that invented the wheel didn’t start a company with publicly traded shares. The Dutch East India Co. was the first company that did (in 1602). And that did so for almost 200 years. 
    Wander how many trillions Apple will be worth 150 years from now... 😄
    BeatscornchipJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

It's because back when Apple first hit a trillion iKnockoff users were spreading that crap like wild fire and saying Apple sucked because of it. It's hard to tell when someone is serious nowadays because of all the ridiculous people among us.
    ronnlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56

Except that the guy that invented the wheel didn’t start a company with publicly traded shares. The Dutch East India Co. was the first company that did (in 1602). And that did so for almost 200 years. 
    Wander how many trillions Apple will be worth 150 years from now... ߘ䦬t;/div>
    It’s also instructive for the anti-monopoly crowd to note that this company was yet another artificial monopoly, thanks to the involvement of government. 

Monopolies do not and cannot exist in free markets. They require the force and interference of government and the law to gain their unbeatable advantages.
    edited August 2020 randominternetpersoncornchipJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    aderutter said:
    It would be nice if they could double again in the next 3 years :)
    That’s my target lol

In terms of the Epic shenanigans I feel that the worst case scenario is that the courts allow Fortnite back in the app-store as long as it adheres to the agreement until any final courts decisions. So worst case Apple keep making money from Fortnite purchases... I get the feeling Epic wouldn’t put the app back though, they’d rather cut off their own nose is my guess.

Apple should use that money to fund their own game studio. It's sad Apple has the biggest gamin store in the world yet serious gamers don't take it serious.
    aderutterlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 56
    B-Mc-CB-Mc-C Posts: 41member
    tmay said:
    B-Mc-C said:
    I am thinking now is the time to trim just a little. I’ve read Epic’s motion for temporary restraining order and I found the hearing on the calendar for next Monday with Edward Chen. I researched the judge and feel like there is a strong chance Epic secures injunctive relief at least until they lose in the end, which could take ages. In the meantime, they’ll be allowed to violate their developer agreement all they want and there’s nothing Apple can do about it.
    There isn't any need for injunctive relief, nor a temporary restraining order, as Apple has only asked that Epic meet its responsibilities as a developer, and requirements for inclusion in the store. Epic could easily meet those requirements without impacting the lawsuits.

Epic did all of this "grandstanding" to gain attention. That happened, and from here on, it will be all legal decisions and regulatory solutions, not opinions of the tech community.
    Hope you guys are right, as AAPL is 100% of my portfolio, but if you read the 40 page court filing (https://cdn2.unrealengine.com/epic-v-apple-8-17-20-768927327.pdf  - pages 18-32 specifically) and consider the judge hearing the motion, which is being heard in the liberal 9th circuit, the bar / burden is quite low for the temporary injunction to be granted. That aside, many are calling for a 10% broad market pullback this week on CNBC. I am going to buy some more in-the-money LEAP calls if that happens. Long AAPL!
    edited August 2020 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 56
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Well done Apple! 

And in the same time, it is bad news for Epic & Co, which are trying to undermine Apple’s effort in creating a secure and user friendly ecosystem.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    If Apple was a country they would have the 8th spot on the top GDP list.
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 56
    john_t said:
    And they asked for 50% off their rent in the UK during the corona crisis. Nice.

I'm sure, when gas prices go down, some people insist on paying the high prices based on $150/bbl oil.  I'm glad, as an AAPL shareholder that Apple isn't one of them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Beats said:

It's because back when Apple first hit a trillion iKnockoff users were spreading that crap like wild fire and saying Apple sucked because of it. It's hard to tell when someone is serious nowadays because of all the ridiculous people among us.

As a ridiculous person, I find that comment offensive.
    SpamSandwichBeatsJWSCbikerdudebeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Beats said:

As a ridiculous person, I find that comment offensive.
    At least you are not alone in this world. ;)
    JWSCbikerdudejeffythequickwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 56
    B-Mc-C said:
    tmay said:
    B-Mc-C said:
    I am thinking now is the time to trim just a little. I’ve read Epic’s motion for temporary restraining order and I found the hearing on the calendar for next Monday with Edward Chen. I researched the judge and feel like there is a strong chance Epic secures injunctive relief at least until they lose in the end, which could take ages. In the meantime, they’ll be allowed to violate their developer agreement all they want and there’s nothing Apple can do about it.
    There isn't any need for injunctive relief, nor a temporary restraining order, as Apple has only asked that Epic meet its responsibilities as a developer, and requirements for inclusion in the store. Epic could easily meet those requirements without impacting the lawsuits.

Epic did all of this "grandstanding" to gain attention. That happened, and from here on, it will be all legal decisions and regulatory solutions, not opinions of the tech community.
    Hope you guys are right, as AAPL is 100% of my portfolio, but if you read the 40 page court filing (https://cdn2.unrealengine.com/epic-v-apple-8-17-20-768927327.pdf  - pages 18-32 specifically) and consider the judge hearing the motion, which is being heard in the liberal 9th circuit, the bar / burden is quite low for the temporary injunction to be granted. That aside, many are calling for a 10% broad market pullback this week on CNBC. I am going to buy some more in-the-money LEAP calls if that happens. Long AAPL!
    In that case, you absolutely should "trim" a little.  Diversification is your friend.  So maybe 90% AAPL and 10% index funds ;-)
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 56
    B-Mc-CB-Mc-C Posts: 41member
    B-Mc-C said:
    tmay said:
    B-Mc-C said:

In that case, you absolutely should "trim" a little.  Diversification is your friend.  So maybe 90% AAPL and 10% index funds ;-)
    Yes yes, I’ve been told that my whole life, hasn’t worked out too terribly for me. I’ve sold as much as I can until the next tax year comes around.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 56
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Well that [stock] escalated quickly...
    edited August 2020 BeatsSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 56
    They should award Epic 25% of their market value because isn’t fair that valuation and I am sure Epic worked closely with Steve and Tim to get (1997 Apple) to (2-Trillion Apple). /s
    Beats
  • Reply 40 of 56
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

While it may be a bit of a stretch to accurately calculate several hundred years worth of inflation coupled with multiple currency fluctuations, the Dutch East India Company was a massive powerhouse that bent the will of kingdoms the world over.

Apple is big and powerful.  But it’s nowhere near as big and powerful as the Dutch East India Company was back then.  Lacking a better metric, the valuation comparison stands IMO.
    watto_cobra