Digital Audio out-when?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think this is the next logical step for Apple to implement audio-wise, no? I have been listening to CDs through and optical connection for some time now, and when I listen to iTunes through my stereo via analog, well, the quality is just not there. My MP3s are only 192 Kbps, but still an optical out along with a good receiver and speakers (Denon AVR-5800 and Klipsich Legends in my case) would make a huge differnece I am sure, maybe enough to retire my CD player. I am hoping to get a PowerMac this fall but I doubt I would by a high-end computer without this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    I agree, I'd love to see Optical Digital I/O on a PowerMac, but then again, there are PCI cards out there that do the job. In my case (PowerBook G3 500) I have a USB-to-Optical Digital output adapter and the quality is (and has been for a year) excellent.

Here's hoping for an all-new G4 this Summer!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>(Denon AVR-5800 and Klipsich Legends in my case)</strong><hr></blockquote>

with that level of system, you will always be able to hear the difference between an MP3 and a CD. (as long as you have a decent CD player, which you better, with a system like that!)

personally, i'd rather buy a good 5.1 pci card, and the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers. the price/performance is incredible.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    [quote]Originally posted by concentricity:

<strong>

personally, i'd rather buy a good 5.1 pci card, and the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers. the price/performance is incredible.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who makes 5.1 PCI cards for the Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have a Pioneer Elite PDF-109 100 disc...it is a few years old, but still good. It is just a lot easier to use iTunes, etc. I have all the songs I like and with hundreds of CDs...to tell the truth I always thought, especially after having one, 100 disc CD players weren't all that great. If I ever did buy another CD player, it would probably be a 5 disc.

Still, I can't believe with a good system, and with the quality Apple would more than likely implement into an optical out, and with 192 Kbps MP3, the quality would be there. A new PowerMac (high-end) would probably have 2x80 GB HDs at least, so I might even re-record all my MP3s in 256Kbps.

As of right now, I have them all on an external 20 GB drive @192...I might keep those for an iPod/portable music and the higher quality with a larger HD.

The future could be so bright (and great sounding!) with this! :cool:
  • Reply 6 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    192 certainly doesn't deliver CD quality. Any careful listen on a good quality (detailed) set-up will make the differences obvious. It's not bad, but you need to up the bit-rate to get comparable sound. With bigger HDD's I don't think it's going to be much of a problem. Isn't MP3 a subset of MPEG2 audio codec? Thats interesting cause the compression on DVD-V (movies) is actually quite good compared to CD. I think they give about 448Kbps?

What do MP3's top out at? iPod plays back up to 320Kbps, is that the actual max? What about MP3+?

hmmm...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Agreed, but it would still boost sound quality a good deal going from analog to digital connections. Kinda like going from RCA connections on your DVD to TV to component video...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    The Powermac NEEDS new integrated audio. No audio in???

WTF. same with my ibook

I will buy an iMic (not digital) out of neccessity.

Perhaps on the new Pro keyboard there will be some kind of audio plug/port *would be nice*

Pres