Apple Watch dominating global smartwatch market in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a growing smartwatch market, Apple continues to hold the crown, and no single manufacturer is even close to the Apple Watch marketshare.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Apple's flagship wearable, including the latest Apple Watch Series 5 iteration, has long dominated the smartwatch market. The company's leading position in the industry remains strong, despite a slight waning in market share due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to new data via Counterpoint Research, the Apple Watch accounted for an estimated 51.4% of global smartwatch market revenue during the first two quarters of 2020. It wasn't even close, as Garmin devices and Huawei devices were the next in line with 9.4% and 8.3%, respectively.

The global smartwatch market is still growing, as well. Counterpoint estimates that total shipments grew 20% year-over-year, even during the pandemic. Across every manufacturer, about 42 million smartwatches were shipped in the first half of 2020.

For Apple specifically, the company's Apple Watch segment grew 22% with Europe and North America clocking in as the faster growing markets.

Counterpoint also estimates that the Apple Watch Series 5 was the best-selling smart watch globally during the time period, followed by the cheaper Apple Watch Series 3. After that, Huawei's Watch GT2 and Samsung's Galaxy Watch Active 2 took the third and fourth positions.

As far as where the smartwatch industry has to go from here, Counterpoint analysts suggest that fall detection and SPO2 blood oxygen monitoring will be two key features going forward.

The Apple Watch Series 4 already introduced intelligent fall detection, and there are rumors that an upcoming "Apple Watch Series 6" device could add blood oxygen monitoring to the Apple wearable lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Finally it is my turn to buy one. Just a little bit more patience till  the new model comes out
    Beatslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Still not enough. I think Apple needs a "nail-in-the-coffin" feature to put the smartwatch industry out of business.

IF Apple can do something like coronavirus detection, then that could be the nail-in-the-coffin feature. That will work this year as people see that as necesary. After the Covid-19 pandemic dies it can still be used to check if someone is sick. Blood glucose could also be that feature that "nails it". Better battery and more accurate bio sensors would help.

FaceID and Facetime could be fun.

Am I missing something?
    lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    No surprises here. The Apple Watch Series 5 is a freakishly great product. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Beats said:
    Still not enough. I think Apple needs a "nail-in-the-coffin" feature to put the smartwatch industry out of business.

IF Apple can do something like coronavirus detection, then that could be the nail-in-the-coffin feature. That will work this year as people see that as necesary. After the Covid-19 pandemic dies it can still be used to check if someone is sick. Blood glucose could also be that feature that "nails it". Better battery and more accurate bio sensors would help.

FaceID and Facetime could be fun.

Am I missing something?
    I am thinking you are being a bit facetious? I think we all know that contact tracing is scientifically proven to work, but try selling that to the American public who thinks that this will be an invasion of their privacy! Too many conspiracy theorists out there... it will never work in a truly “free” society. (Just being realistic)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Contact tracing? I have friends who always give false info. 
    No chance of Covid detection of course, but blood oxygen will drive many more sales imho. 
    Blood sugar is what many are waiting for (something like sugarbeat).

cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ECG certification in Israel? Please?
    Also ApplePay, Apple Card, Apple Store... We feel neglected here, except for Apple buying Israeli companies left and right...
    watto_cobra