LG rolls out Apple TV app for select 2018 smart TVs

Posted:
in General Discussion
LG appears to be rolling out a firmware update that adds the Apple TV app to select 2018 models.

Credit: LG
Credit: LG

In February, LG issued software updates that brought the Apple TV app to certain 2019 smart TV models. At the time, the company said a firmware update in 2020 would introduce the TV app to 2018 models as well.

Although no announcement has been made as of writing, users of 2018 LG TVs have spotted the Apple TV app as available for download this week.

The Apple TV app is now available on my 2018 LG OLED. pic.twitter.com/GEqCbgLTaF

-- Bas van der Ploeg (@basvanderploeg)

It isn't clear if the rollout is global as of yet, but it appears users in multiple countries have seen the option to download. MacRumors on Thursday received tips from readers who have spotted the app.

The Apple TV app can be downloaded from the LG Home app launcher on supported TVs. Once it's installed, users can subscribe to and watch Apple TV+, access their iTunes libraries, and add additional content providers via Apple TV Channels.

LG has also promised to bring both HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support to certain 2018 smart TV models by October 2020, including "SK" and "UK" LED models and "B8" through "Z8" OLED models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    That’s great but until LG changes the GUI and remote control which are both the worst and most complicated controls I’ve ever seen, Samsung will continue the Smart TV reign.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    That's great but until LG fixes the massive air gap between the LCD panel and the front glass causing image doubling and shadows around the edges I'll be buying Samsung!
    wwinter86kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 3 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    That's great but until LG fixes the massive air gap between the LCD panel and the front glass causing image doubling and shadows around the edges I'll be buying Samsung!

Buy TCL. Half the cost, better picture.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    If you use anything samsung you are not a TRUE Apple fan. Yes I have removed my samsung hard drives on all my macs!
    jas99omasou
  • Reply 5 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    digitol said:
    If you use anything samsung you are not a TRUE Apple fan. Yes I have removed my samsung hard drives on all my macs!

They were failing anyway. Mine did.
    digitoljas99
  • Reply 6 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    For my workout room I bought a Vizio 32”, it has HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support. Was pretty cheap. It would be nice to see the Apple TV+ app/channel there, in addition to all the other ones like Netflix, Prime, Plex, etc. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Surely, surely LG are not only going to limit this to 2018 + models. Any LG smart TV 2016 onwards is capable of running Apple TV. Is this another tech company trying to get you to upgrade their hardware at the cost of the environment? Earlier models should be supported.
    digitol
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I have an OLED 55” C8 and the picture is spectacular not sure what you are talking about
    digitoljas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Beats said:

I had a look at mid-range UHD/4K models from TCL, LG and several others side by side. I didn't think much of the TCL (that was last fall).

Their larger TCL screens did look good (my condo doesn't suit a screen that large).
  • Reply 10 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Beats said:

TCL = Chinese company = PRC connection = danger!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I have an OLED 55” C8 and the picture is spectacular not sure what you are talking about

LG's OLED TVs are the best on market except price. Next, upper end Samsung than Sony. What I noticed is for the same series TVS from 2019; the 2020 LGs Nano did some improvement but Samsung QLED did not. Hoping 2021 TVs from Samsung and LG to offer noticeable improvement so it becomes worth while to replace older sets.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I wish Sony would follow suit since their XBR-A1E TVs are second to none.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    digitol said:
    Beats said:
    digitol said:

They were failing anyway. Mine did.

How about removing the Samsung displays in your Apple iphones???
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wood1208 said:
    Beats said:

TCL = Chinese company = PRC connection = danger!!

They have medicine for your paranoia problem.....
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 15 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Maybe because your OLED doesn't have an LCD panel?
    watto_cobra