Apple to offset costly 5G iPhone components with cheaper battery tech

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tomasulu said:
    rattlhed said:
    tomasulu said:
    Apple used to have the best tech and components because they sell at a premium and customer experience is not sacrificed at the altar of profiteering. 

But like the Apple before jobs second return, im starting to have pangs of envy comparing its products against the competition. I think it’s safe to say that iPhones, at least on the hardware side, is falling further and further behind the likes of Samsung Xiaomi Huawei and OnePlus flagships. The Apple se is not even competing on the same weight class as Google pixel 4a. The ugly notch, thick bezel, small battery, average still cam with weak zoom, terrible selfie cam, Face ID that’s so inconvenient in our masked up world, average screen, etc. And now they want to nickel and dime its customers just to include 5g which was available for more than a year in some cheap android phones?! I think this is the year for me to finally make the switch to Android. 
    I agree.  Although my plans won't be to switch to Android, I will be hanging on to my 11 Pro for this year's upgrade cycle if the leaks are true.  I do have phone envy, very strong phone envy with all the flagships coming out.  Gorgeous 120hz screens, pinhole cameras, edge to edge bezels, subsonic fingerprint readers (yes, I really miss fingerprint unlock) super quality cameras (though Apple's cameras are probably the best feature).  These flagships are making the iPhone look like tech from 4 years ago.  I love my Apple products but man I wish they would get off their ass and blow us away.  Why the hell can't they do 120hz?  A $2 Trillion company can't do that?  5G is the least important feature for the next cycle of phones in my opinion.  

Won’t be easy for me to switch, I am invested in iCloud, Ipad, MacBook, Apple watch and AirPods pro. But I will get an android as a spare phone and work to take myself off the Apple ecosystem over time. It’s at that point where you feel a company has gotten arrogant fat and lazy and takes its customers for granted. 
    A decision made based on a shaky rumor? I don’t think so. You were going to get an Android phone anyway, weren’t you?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Battery life and connectivity are strong needs and in 2020 are musts for flagship phones. 5G will use more battery so reducing size isn’t good for me. I need a battery that lasts all day. Likely buying the Pro Max anyway
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    The whole premise of this article is flawed.

Namely "because 5G is expensive Apple is looking to cut costs on batteries" is nonsense.  If this is true, the real summary would be "As they do continually, Apple looks for cost efficiencies wherever possible; in this case it's about batteries."

Who who gives a flying fig whether Apple uses cheap or expensive batteries?  No one.  The only relevant measure is battery life, and we don't know that yet.  Personally, I'd be willing to bet money that the advertised battery life numbers that Apple releases (which are always somewhat conservative) will be the same or a tad better this time around.  That's what I've learned to expect from the past decade of Apple product releases.

Or we can all "switch to Android" because some rumor says Apple is going spend less on batteries.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Who let the trolls out of the barn today?  I told you to keep that door properly latched!
    Maybe this isn't the place for you.  I hear the Apple Community forums are censored and they remove any anti-Apple posts.  Sounds like a better fit for you.
    Who said anything about censorship?  I'm not opposed to anti-Apple posts.  I'm annoyed wasting my time with hyperbolic, factless nonsense like the first post in this thread.  In this case, unfortunately, the troll succeeded in getting a reaction.  My bad.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    Note: This story is a not a report on what Apple is doing, it's an opinion piece on what some parts of the rumor mill is generating. 

It requires nothing from the reader -- just place it into the revolving rolodex. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Anilu_777 said:
    Battery life and connectivity are strong needs and in 2020 are musts for flagship phones. 5G will use more battery so reducing size isn’t good for me. I need a battery that lasts all day. Likely buying the Pro Max anyway
    I wouldn't write this off as an impact to usage times until usage times are published. There is a lot that Apple could do with power management, Apple Silicon Design and the modems/antennas that could significantly reduce power.  5G modems and antennae do not necessary use more power than LTE, 3G it will likely use significantly less.

Qualcomm's Snapdragon X55 X60 modem that Apple is using in the iPhone12 (all versions from what I have read) and can share 4G (LTE and LTE+) and 5G connections simultaneously without powering up multiple modems and supports 5G through 2G on the same modem.  Thankfully we don't have to worry about 2G or 3G much longer as the networks are shut down or are being shut down  (Verizon originally planned for 3G shutdown by YE 2019 and is now scheduled for end of 2020.  AT&T shuts off 3G networks by 2022).

In the iPhone 11 the Intel 7660 Modem gained 20% power consumption improvements (from the XS) by moving to that chipset and it was based on a 14nm process.   The iPhone 12 based on this Snapdragon X55 X60 is based on 7nm 5nm fabrication process so we should expect significant energy savings just based on the fabrication and design of the modem let alone any savings from efficiencies in the A14 SoC.
    note:   X60 has been reported to be using 15% less power than the X55.  

...that said the X55/X60 story has been flip-flopping over the past 3 months.

https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-x60-vs-x55-5g-comparison
    https://www.digi.com/blog/post/how-to-stay-ahead-of-the-3g-network-sunset
    edited August 2020 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Namely "because 5G is expensive Apple is looking to cut costs on batteries" is nonsense.  If this is true, the real summary would be "As they do continually, Apple looks for cost efficiencies wherever possible; in this case it's about batteries."

Who who gives a flying fig whether Apple uses cheap or expensive batteries?  No one.  The only relevant measure is battery life, and we don't know that yet.  Personally, I'd be willing to bet money that the advertised battery life numbers that Apple releases (which are always somewhat conservative) will be the same or a tad better this time around.  That's what I've learned to expect from the past decade of Apple product releases.

Or we can all "switch to Android" because some rumor says Apple is going spend less on batteries.
    Kuo is just attention-seeking. I put no credence in his rumor either.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,666member
    Who who gives a flying fig whether Apple uses cheap or expensive batteries?  No one.  
    I care, assuming "expensive batteries" implies better charging management, better overcharging protection, better physical protection, more charging cycles, longer service life, better quality assurance, etc. If Apple can deliver a no-compromise, top-quality, functionally equivalent battery subsystem at a lower cost than what they are currently able to achieve, good for them, I have no problems whatsoever. But allowing for any compromises in what is clearly the most dangerous and potentially volatile component in every existing smartphone in the name of cost reduction is totally unacceptable. All consumers of smartphones and figs who value human life and personal property actually DO care, very deeply.
    edited August 2020 Pascalxxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
     80s_Apple_Guy said:
    I must say, between the reported lack of 120HZ refresh rate, the lower battery capacity and unchanged notch I am very disappointed. 5G is a tech that rarely is available for most of us and is far less useful most of the time. This phone IF it’s as leaked will be a skip for me. Not understanding Apple’s skimping on a> $1000 phone. 
    Still likely to be quite a meaningful upgrade for a XS or earlier owner, if the delivered battery performance is similar to the 11 series it'll meet/exceed the user expectations
    I’m an XS owner and see zero reason to upgrade to what’s been leaked, though admittedly I bought the XS with the intention of keeping 3-4 years. The processor still flys. 

5G? - mostly unavailable and plans are expensive.  LTE is plenty fast enough.
    Lidar?  Couldn’t care less I’ll never use it.  Camera spec bumps?  I haven’t perceived a change since my iPhone 6.

Smaller notch, smaller bezels, 120hz, and a fresh design would be enticing.

T-Mobile does not charge any premium for 5G and they're rolling it out throughout a lot paces that previously had poor or no coverage.  It's not the super fast stuff we all hear about, but its better than 4G and lot's better than no G.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44

Well said and, I think, true. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Looks like another epic failure, like everything Apple does with batteries.
    Just incredible how bad their performance is versus 100s of billions invested.
    Translated into AppleCar that would mean it won’t have a motorway range because it can’t leave the city (if it will ever leave the factory, that is...)
    What in the world are you talking about.  Typical trash Apple talk.   
    The Envious Trolls are out in Herds 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    tomasulu said:
    rattlhed said:
    tomasulu said:
    Apple used to have the best tech and components because they sell at a premium and customer experience is not sacrificed at the altar of profiteering. 

But like the Apple before jobs second return, im starting to have pangs of envy comparing its products against the competition. I think it’s safe to say that iPhones, at least on the hardware side, is falling further and further behind the likes of Samsung Xiaomi Huawei and OnePlus flagships. The Apple se is not even competing on the same weight class as Google pixel 4a. The ugly notch, thick bezel, small battery, average still cam with weak zoom, terrible selfie cam, Face ID that’s so inconvenient in our masked up world, average screen, etc. And now they want to nickel and dime its customers just to include 5g which was available for more than a year in some cheap android phones?! I think this is the year for me to finally make the switch to Android. 
    I agree.  Although my plans won't be to switch to Android, I will be hanging on to my 11 Pro for this year's upgrade cycle if the leaks are true.  I do have phone envy, very strong phone envy with all the flagships coming out.  Gorgeous 120hz screens, pinhole cameras, edge to edge bezels, subsonic fingerprint readers (yes, I really miss fingerprint unlock) super quality cameras (though Apple's cameras are probably the best feature).  These flagships are making the iPhone look like tech from 4 years ago.  I love my Apple products but man I wish they would get off their ass and blow us away.  Why the hell can't they do 120hz?  A $2 Trillion company can't do that?  5G is the least important feature for the next cycle of phones in my opinion.  

Won’t be easy for me to switch, I am invested in iCloud, Ipad, MacBook, Apple watch and AirPods pro. But I will get an android as a spare phone and work to take myself off the Apple ecosystem over time. It’s at that point where you feel a company has gotten arrogant fat and lazy and takes its customers for granted. 
    A decision made based on a shaky rumor? I don’t think so. You were going to get an Android phone anyway, weren’t you?

It’s been brewing for a while because the iPhones have been lagging the competition. We want the best products for our money no?

iPhones are probably the most expensive phone in its category but most independent reviews don’t think they come with the best screen, best camera, longest battery life, etc. I’ll forgive the notch but please get the memo on Siri, quick charging, USB C and underscreen fingerprint scanner. I still love the macs, Apple Watch and AirPods. But for the iPhone it’s harder and harder to justify paying the Apple premium.  

Despite claiming to have laser focus, Apple decided to make frivolous halo products like the $1000 monitor stands, $700 wheels, and $500 nano surface... while scrimping on key components. This so called rumor just reinforced what I suspect - Apple is now all about marketing and no longer customer satisfaction. 

edited August 2020 avon b7elijahg
  • Reply 33 of 44
    tomasulu said:
    tomasulu said:
    rattlhed said:
    tomasulu said:

It’s been brewing for a while because the iPhones have been lagging the competition. We want the best products for our money no?

iPhones are probably the most expensive phone in its category but most independent reviews don’t think they come with the best screen, best camera, longest battery life, etc. I’ll forgive the notch but please get the memo on Siri, quick charging, USB C and underscreen fingerprint scanner. I still love the macs, Apple Watch and AirPods. But for the iPhone it’s harder and harder to justify paying the Apple premium.  

Despite claiming to have laser focus, Apple decided to make frivolous halo products like the $1000 monitor stands, $700 wheels, and $500 nano surface... while scrimping on key components. This so called rumor just reinforced what I suspect - Apple is now all about marketing and no longer customer satisfaction. 

Most reviews compare hardware to hardware -- where, when looking at other high end hardware Apple often comes off second best for two reasons:
    --  Vendors use Apple as the gold standard and, 6 months after the newest iPhone, they will release one of their own with slightly higher specs.   So they have the "best" phone till Apple releases their next iphone.
    --  Because, like IBM of the 20th century, Apple is known for umimpeachable quality, a single mistake can be devastating to them.   So they tend to not push the envelope too hard.   But their competitors can push that envelop to the limit and are more easily forgiven when they push it too far.

But, all that is irrelevant!
    What sets Apple apart and makes their phones great is not the hardware but the seamless combination of hardware, software and ecosystem that you simply can't get anywhere else -- but reviewers invariably fail to even mention all of that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    tomasulu said:

You would be incorrect.

Apple doesn't have to compete on features alone because it has very little competition from Android OS device makers, all because of it customer satisfaction. Going back years, Apple has almost always been behind in screen size, cameras, arcane features, and lately, 5G. It has almost never been an actual marketing problem, and that's because the iPhone has such a long life cycle, and maintains a high trade in value, that most customers are not worried about whether Apple has the latest and greatest features that Android OS devices have; they can always wait for another release cycle or two for particular features.

Apple has undisputed reign in SoC's, and because Apple has such a tight integration with its OS variants and hardware, it can work off a very long roadmap of product development. Apple doesn't need to have the very same features at the very same time as Android OS device makers, and will add these as it makes sense in terms of value and ubiquity in the iPhone product line.

I would leave you with this analysis from Horace Dediu:

http://www.asymco.com

See top article
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,964member
    tmay said:
    tomasulu said:

You would be incorrect.

Apple doesn't have to compete on features alone because it has very little competition from Android OS device makers, all because of it customer satisfaction. Going back years, Apple has almost always been behind in screen size, cameras, arcane features, and lately, 5G. It has almost never been an actual marketing problem, and that's because the iPhone has such a long life cycle, and maintains a high trade in value, that most customers are not worried about whether Apple has the latest and greatest features that Android OS devices have; they can always wait for another release cycle or two for particular features.

Apple has undisputed reign in SoC's, and because Apple has such a tight integration with its OS variants and hardware, it can work off a very long roadmap of product development. Apple doesn't need to have the very same features at the very same time as Android OS device makers, and will add these as it makes sense in terms of value and ubiquity in the iPhone product line.

See top article
    How can he be incorrect? 

He is the customer. He isn't satisfied.

It's his opinion and I've been down the same route. Re-sale value will likely plummet the minute Apple releases 5G across the board. 

Four years of flat sales tell us that it's very possible that new purchases were not made, precisely because of the points he raised.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 44
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tomasulu said:

You would be incorrect.

See top article
    How can he be incorrect? 

It's his opinion and I've been down the same route. Re-sale value will likely plummet the minute Apple releases 5G across the board. 

Four years of flat sales tell us that it's very possible that new purchases were not made, precisely because of the points he raised.

I think that they are BOTH correct!

Apple DOES lag on hardware features.
    But so did IBM in pretty much the exact same way (adjusted for multiple decades of technological advances)

But, regardless people still not only bought IBM. but it was regarded as the gold standard.   Why?   Because the saying "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" was, in fact, true.   And, likewise, "Nobody ever got disappointed by buying Apple", although I just made that up, is equally true.

Both companies separated themselves from the competition with the intangibles of quality that showed up in multiple ways that all contributed to customer satisfaction.  And, a big part of that, in the case of both IBM and Apple, comes from their software as well as their support both before and after the sale.

Perhaps Apple said it best:   "It just works"  (even if it doesn't have a 40 Giga Pixel camera!).   And, making it "just work" goes well beyond mere hardware features.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Truth is rumor-based lamenting starts in mid-June each year since 2008, including the predictions by many that if rumor A, B, and C turns out to be for real, “I’ll skip and hold on to my current phone!”.  Now let’s be honest:  it’s September, it’s October, and most of us stand in line on day one!
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Kuo’s record is spotty at best, but this one could be true. 

The problem is that Kuo can only see half the picture: he has no visibility on the software or chip design side, or the improvements Apple has made in the machine-learning algorithms it uses to improve battery life. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    tmay said:
    tomasulu said:

You would be incorrect.

See top article

I don’t know if the lack of competition is why Apple is resting on its laurels. But I disagree that most customers are ok with their iPhones lagging their competition. If anything it’s the ecosystem that’s making it hard for people to switch. That said holding your customers hostage in a walled garden is not a sustainable strategy. If Apple doesn’t take back the mantle of innovation or at least keep pace, they’ll continue to lose market share. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 44
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tomasulu said:

You would be incorrect.

See top article
    How can he be incorrect? 

I think that they are BOTH correct!

Apple DOES lag on hardware features.
    But so did IBM in pretty much the exact same way (adjusted for multiple decades of technological advances)

But, regardless people still not only bought IBM. but it was regarded as the gold standard.   Why?   Because the saying "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" was, in fact, true.   And, likewise, "Nobody ever got disappointed by buying Apple", although I just made that up, is equally true.

Both companies separated themselves from the competition with the intangibles of quality that showed up in multiple ways that all contributed to customer satisfaction.  And, a big part of that, in the case of both IBM and Apple, comes from their software as well as their support both before and after the sale.

Perhaps Apple said it best:   "It just works"  (even if it doesn't have a 40 Giga Pixel camera!).   And, making it "just work" goes well beyond mere hardware features.

Interesting you mentioned IBM. Where are they now in the consumer PC world? When a high tech company doesn’t drive innovation and value, they’ll be replaced by another that could. It was IBM to Apple to Microsoft to Nokia and back to Apple and Google. Success can be very transient in consumer IT. 

I don’t deny that the overall customer experience is still good with IPhones. The customer care is better than its competition for instance. I love their retail presence. I like their build quality and frequent OS updates. I like that iOS doesn’t slow down much over time. But that doesn’t mean they can lag behind the competition on hardware features! How hard is it to give us proper quick charging?? Instead Apple tries to charge us for a quick charging charger that’s not even half as quick as some android flagships. I get that iPhones are super duper efficient but to what end? Just so Apple can save a few cents giving us half the battery capacity of other Android flagships? How about being efficient AND having a large battery as well? Small things perhaps but they add up and it’s galling when we are talking about a $2T company charging a premium for their products. 

edited August 2020