Supposed 'iPhone 12 Pro Max' screenshots show Camera & LiDAR settings, hint at 120Hz displ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Leaked images from an alleged production verification testing "iPhone 12 Pro" model have surfaced online, revealing potential camera and display settings for the upcoming device.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Prolific leaker Jon Prosser posted the images to Twitter on Tuesday. Prosser said that they represent the camera and display settings for a current PVT model of the rumored 6.7-inch "iPhone 12 Pro Max."

Camera and display settings for current PVT model of 6.7" iPhone 12 Pro Max

Want video too? pic.twitter.com/fnJk2LELgv

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

For example, the Camera settings pane for the device shows off a toggle for LiDAR -- something that the text notes can assist in auto-focus and subject detection. First debuted on the iPad Pro, Apple is rumored to bring LiDAR to the iPhone with the 2020 lineup.

The Settings text also details that the iPhone will be able to shoot 4K video at 120 frames-per-second, or 4K slow motion video at 240fps.

A toggle for something called "Enhanced Night Mode" is said to assist with extended exposure times, but only when a device is on a tripod or steady surface. That setting appears to build off iPhone 11's Night mode feature that uses advanced software to fuse multiple low-light images together, taking the best aspects of each. The existing setting allows for lengthened exposure times when iPhone detects it is attached to a tripod.

Today's leak also reveals toggles for "advanced noise reduction," "bit depth video," and "zoom capabilities," hinting at other "iPhone 12 Pro" camera features.

In the screenshot of the display menu, there are toggles for both High Refresh Rate and Adaptive Refresh Rate, as well as text that indicates a 120Hz refresh rate is available. A 120Hz ProMotion display has been rumored for the iPhone in the past, including by Prosser.

Notably, Prosser added that some, but not all, current "iPhone 12" PVT models are equipped with 120Hz display rates. Earlier in the week, the leaker hinted that Apple hasn't given up on ProMotion displays, despite rumors to the contrary.

He added that he has a video of the PVT evaluation software, which is being used to test the iPhone units. If genuine, it's likely that the clips and the screenshots were sourced from someone with access to a PVT iPhone model.

Apple is largely expected to release both a 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch "iPhone 12 Pro" in the fall alongside 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch variants of the "iPhone 12" models. In addition to the Pro-exclusive features, the devices are also rumored to sport 5G connectivity and Apple's A14 chipset.

Update: Prosser on Tuesday posted a video showing the camera and display settings menus on what is claimed to be a PVT unit. According to Prosser, the iPhone's TrueDepth camera notch is largely unchanged from current versions, while the new model sports a flat-sided chassis similar to the iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    Time to upgrade from the XS Max. Didn’t like the 11 and ended up returning it. It looks like 12 is more of an upgrade with some nice actually useful features.
    edited August 2020 lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Although I have no barrier to upgrading to a new iPhone, well maybe I should walk that back. I haven't seen any compelling justification to upgrade to a new iPhone, I still like my iPhone X. The leather Vaja case I put on it shortly after I got the iPhone X when it was released has seasoned/worn extremely well - I like the look the case has evolved to as well.
    llama
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I’ve bought a new iPhone every year since 2007. The only one I didn’t trade in was the very first one.
    doozydozenqwerty52lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 11
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    The screenshots seem very "un-Apple". Too many options to activate and deactivate, way too confusing. I honestly hope this isn't the direction Apple chooses for the future. Many of these "options" shouldn't be options at all. 120 Hz? OK, but make it across the board as standard. Why give options buried in the settings menu?

The same applies for the camera options. Way too many options. Make them "smart" and "standard" and that's about it.

If someone has a "pro Camera" app of some sorts, that they purchased separately, give them the ability to toggle settings, but not everyone.

The setup process of a new iPhone will otherwise become EVEN LONGER and cumbersome. With the result people will have to spend 20' checking and unchecking stuff, privacy, alerts, locations, camera settings and the like before even starting to use the iPhone. 
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    imat said:
    The screenshots seem very "un-Apple". Too many options to activate and deactivate, way too confusing. I honestly hope this isn't the direction Apple chooses for the future. Many of these "options" shouldn't be options at all. 120 Hz? OK, but make it across the board as standard. Why give options buried in the settings menu?

The same applies for the camera options. Way too many options. Make them "smart" and "standard" and that's about it.

If someone has a "pro Camera" app of some sorts, that they purchased separately, give them the ability to toggle settings, but not everyone.

The setup process of a new iPhone will otherwise become EVEN LONGER and cumbersome. With the result people will have to spend 20' checking and unchecking stuff, privacy, alerts, locations, camera settings and the like before even starting to use the iPhone. 
    This doesn't have to be the case and is a limiting factor of iOS. 

Lots of devices nowadays offer the user very simple interface switches which add new layers of functionality to the interface. 

Apple did this with Finder (allowing users to switch to simple Finder) so it is not an alien concept.

Configuration options aren't a problem for anyone if you offer a basic set and allow the user to switch to different levels of options.

Far, far worse are the nagging alerts in iOS which interrupt workflows. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 11
    imat said:

Aren’t they screenshots of devices used for testing? If that’s the case, the final options visible to consumers may be streamlined.
    elijahgtmaymike1randominternetpersonllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Why would someone want to switch LiDAR off/on? Battery life?
    edited August 2020 llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    mike1 said:
    Why would someone want to switch LiDAR off/on? Battery life?
    Good question. I was thinking security, but chances are if you are in an environment that you are forced to turn that off chances are you wouldn’t be allowed in with an iPhone in the first place.

I wouldn’t think LiDAR would be a battery drain when it’s not in use, doesn’t sound like something Apple would allow. 
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    imat said:

This isn't even an issue at this point in time, but you will almost certainly be able to leave switches in default positions and still be able to use the iPhone with minimal setup.

Myself, there is so much new capability that I expect from the iPhone 12 Pro, over my current iPhone 7 Plus, that I will almost certainly follow various online video's that will be available when the iPhone is released. Probably the best time I will ever spend with my iPhone will be that setup.

Some people's tools are more complex than smartphones, yet they seem to be able to manage that workload; and I post below a link to an extreme example of that;

edited August 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I hope they hand 120HZ refresh rates and that the much smaller battery rumors turn out false. I have an 11 pro but my wife’s X has some issues. I want to upgrade but don’t see spending $1100 + on a phone whose main upgrade is 5G which I can’t really use anyway. Hoping for good things. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    There are lots of controls visible in these pictures because it’s a development platform. Complaining about there being too many controls is like complaining about Beta releases having bugs. Developers don’t work in a vacuum.