Apple about to release seven iPads, eight 'Apple Watch Series 6' models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Seven new variations of iPad, and eight varieties of the "Apple Watch Series 6" 
    Why, for heavens sake!?! This goes right back to the pre-Job's-return 90's when Apple was pushing a bevy of differently configured Macs, losing money on all of them. 
    A single model is already four Watch SKU - 40 mm and 44 mm, each with GPS or GPS + cellular variants.
    The stainless variations currently have their own number I believe, so for the Apple Watch 5 (and 4), that's six different varieties of just "one model". 
    razorpitfastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 49
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Why is Appleinsider including a picture of the Fitbit Sense on an Apple Watch article?   :D :D
    ?

That doesn't look anything like the Fitbit Sense.
    I thought it looked more like a Fitbit product than an Apple Watch as well 🤷‍♂️ 

Fitbit makes Apple Watch knockoffs now. Don't give Fitbit the credit for Apple's form factor. This is what iKnockoff users try to pull to discredit Apple's hard work. Fitbits innovative form factor was the band and they've aBANDoned it for Apple Watch knockoffs.

Hank2.0 said:
    Why, for heavens sake!?! This goes right back to the pre-Job's-return 90's when Apple was pushing a bevy of differently configured Macs, losing money on all of them. Too many choices is not good for sales and a logistical nightmare in terms of product distribution, parts supply, manufacturing, and support. That's why Steve Jobs, first thing on his return, massively trimmed Macs and MacBooks to a base model and a pro model each. If this trend keeps up, I see trouble down the line as the Apple brand gets "cheapened".

I reacted the same but apparently different materials are accounted for.

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Why, for heavens sake!?! This goes right back to the pre-Job's-return 90's when Apple was pushing a bevy of differently configured Macs, losing money on all of them. Too many choices is not good for sales and a logistical nightmare in terms of product distribution, parts supply, manufacturing, and support. That's why Steve Jobs, first thing on his return, massively trimmed Macs and MacBooks to a base model and a pro model each. If this trend keeps up, I see trouble down the line as the Apple brand gets "cheapened".
    There might be many problems with a complex product line up, but I confidently predict  “cheapened” won’t be some of them.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 49
    johnbear said:
    That watch from the render images is getting rounder. At this pace it will probably take another 3-5 years before a full circle will be achieved to make it look like a real watch and not like a tasteless children watch as it is right now. 
    I don’t think it looks like a children’s watch, but to each his own. The square shape is more effective for dynamic UI. I love a round shape for a beautiful classic watch, but the Apple Watch is a completely different device where time is just one of its functions, so usability is a factor. Square shaped is way more useful. 

I have the stainless steel and I like it, but probably will go for the cheaper model next time because it’s lighter and I use it for health/workout. I care less for the high-end jewelry look nowadays, especially with an annually new version. Better to buy a $400 version and upgrade it, versus owning a 2nd gen $900 watch. 
    edited August 2020 seanjBeatsStrangeDaysuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 49
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    razorpit said:
    saarek said:
    Standing by for the Apple Watch Series 6. I do hope it’s a good upgrade over the Series 5 which was a very lacklustre release compared against the 4.

My Series 1 is feeling it’s age now!
    Wait, you think the 5 was lackluster and you're wearing a Series 1?  
    Yes, I’d have upgraded my watch last year otherwise.

The Series 5 is essentially the Series 4 with an always on display. Some people obviously wanted that, to me personally it wasn’t a big deal.

The primary reason I want to upgrade my Series 1 is for cellular. I could buy a Series 3, but it will likely be on the scrap heap in terms of software support with Watch OS 8 and if I’m going to buy a new Apple Watch I want to maximise my investment and keep it for at least 3-4 years.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 26 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    johnbear said:
    That watch from the render images is getting rounder. At this pace it will probably take another 3-5 years before a full circle will be achieved to make it look like a real watch and not like a tasteless children watch as it is right now. 
    Ignoring the fact that a round screen is completely pointless on a wrist-worn computer meant to display a variety of types of information including scrolling text, what makes you think most people want a circular analogue-style watch face to begin with?
    ronnseanjmatteblack13BeatsStrangeDaysuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

Hank2.0 said:
    "Steve Jobs would never let this happen." lol at least he understood how SKUs work. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    right_said_fredronnStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 49
    i think one of those models will be the “cheaper” watch SE model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Lol, you mean like this?

That is a classic retro look isn’t it 😊
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 49
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Not sure if the Diabetes breakthrough has come yet, but continuous body temperature monitoring could be useful in a pandemic.
    GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 49
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    chaicka said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    oh, here's a good guess: Apple Watch Lite*, replaces the Series 3 as the "cheap" one in the lineup; plastic case, drops ECG and blood-oxygen, starts from $199, two sizes, cellular and wifi models. Done.

* yeah of course they'd never call it that
    How about ' Watch - Youth Edition'  ;)

Apple Watch Kids?

I'm thinking a name that implies it's for kids but doesn't single them out so adults can also sport them on a budget.
    Apple Watch SE? Apple Watch Fun? Apple Watch Color? Apple Watch Air?
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49
    matteblack13matteblack13 Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Hank2.0 said:
    Why, for heavens sake!?! This goes right back to the pre-Job's-return 90's when Apple was pushing a bevy of differently configured Macs, losing money on all of them. Too many choices is not good for sales and blah blah blah
    That's sort of an Apples and Oranges (pardon the pun) comparison, though. Even when Jobs cleaned up the lineup, there was still a bevy of SKUs for different screen sizes, different CPU/RAM configurations, etc.

The iPad as it exists today is pretty simple: a Mini consumer model, a normal consumer model, and a Pro model in two sizes. Whatever gets announced next month, that looks to be unchanged.

The Watch is pretty simple too: the new one in two sizes, and the old one in two sizes. "the old one" looks like it'll be replaced with "the affordable plastic one," otherwise no change.

Yes, there's a mess of SKUs because of the cellular option, but it's still a pretty simple lineup.
    You’re forgetting the iPad Air which is in a place between normal consumer and “pro”.
    ronnEric_WVGGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 49
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Yeah, the iPad Air seems pretty redundant in the lineup. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 49
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Yes! Need a new iPad Pro and will finally get an Apple Watch.
    The watch is great. DIck Tracy - eat your heart out...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    johnbear said:
    Nope. Still not happening. Same reason you don’t watch films on a round TV...this is a more useful shape to render and interact with data. 
    ronnuraharawatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 49

Hank2.0 said:
    Another wannabe. No, it isn’t. The infamous “beleaguered” Apple couldn’t handle those products, as it was months from bankruptcy. Today’s Apple is the most successful public company in history, they can handle a few iPad and Watch size & finish variations. That isn’t even really the same as having a ton of different models anyway, they’re just variations. Apples product portfolio remains pretty small. 

Try again. 
    ronnuraharawatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 49
    johnbear said:
    I don’t think it looks like a children’s watch, but to each his own. The square shape is more effective for dynamic UI. I love a round shape for a beautiful classic watch, but the Apple Watch is a completely different device where time is just one of its functions, so usability is a factor. Square shaped is way more useful. 

I have the stainless steel and I like it, but probably will go for the cheaper model next time because it’s lighter and I use it for health/workout. I care less for the high-end jewelry look nowadays, especially with an annually new version. Better to buy a $400 version and upgrade it, versus owning a 2nd gen $900 watch. 
    Stainless steel for life. I bought the S0 and S4, sold my S0. I love the look and feel of it, and scratch-free crystal display. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 49

frank777 said:
    Not sure if the Diabetes breakthrough has come yet, but continuous body temperature monitoring could be useful in a pandemic.
    It’s less useful than you imagine, as there can be a two-week pre-symptomatic period while remaining infectious to others. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 49
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Hoping for a "SE" version of the Watch to replace the Series 3 they still sell. Maybe that cheaper polycarbonate housing rumored plus an S5 or S6 chip and older screen following the iPhone SE model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 49
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Hank2.0 said:

In general do they have more SKUs now, sure. But think about it, two sizes each, steel, aluminum, edition, that's six versions right there. If cellular or not are counted I'm not sure why it's not more if anything. If not I hope a budget SE SKU is coming. 
    watto_cobra