New iPad Air moves Touch ID to power button, has USB-C says leaker

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
A leaker has posted what are purported to be images of an as-yet unreleased iPad Air manual, which show a larger display, and Touch ID relegated to to the sleep/wake power button.

Apple's iPad Air 3
Apple's iPad Air 3

Backing up previous reports that the forthcoming "iPad Air 4" will have an 11-inch display and use USB-C, a new leak claims to have images from Apple's documentation. The four shots show pages from what appears to be a Spanish-language iPad Air Manual.

iPad Air 4
Touch ID
via pic.twitter.com/2jc09uAKUY

-- DuanRui (@duanrui1205)

The illustrations in the manual suggest that the display will be close to edge-to-edge. They show with graphics how this iPad Air will not have a Home button and instead will need the same swiping gestures as a Face ID device.

However, the Spanish captions also directly refer to "Touch ID with the top button to unlock the iPad Air." Leaker DuanRui also confirms that in the Twitter thread that follows the post.

DuanRui does not have a particularly long or strong track record in leaking Apple information. However, a recent DuanRui posting claiming that Apple's "iPhone 12" could come with a braided Lightning cable appear to have been backed up by the better-known leaker @L0vetodream.

The existence of forthcoming iPads has most recently been confirmed by Apple's listing model numbers on the EEC database.
joeblack

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    How am I more excited for an iPad Air reveal now than the best iPhone, smh. 
    jrcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Quick reminder: Ming-Chi Kuo predicted this back in January.
    muthuk_vanalingamjoeblackcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I would be very happy if the iPhone got Touch ID back on the power button, as well as Face ID.
    joeblackjrccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That's great!   Apple keeps knocking down barriers to the iPad becoming a "real" computer:
    -- they strengthened the OS and separated it from iOS
    -- they added a file system and enabled multiple windows for effective multi-tasking.
    -- they added a great external keyboard
    -- they added cursor and mouse control

And now, they are going after what may be the last remaining barrier:   they're increasing screen size by converting bezels into screen real estate.

The future looks very bright for iPad!    It can do all that Steve's original vision saw for it -- and now, increasingly, it is also incorporating traditional laptop functionality.
    joeblackthtjrcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    oseame said:
    I would be very happy if the iPhone got Touch ID back on the power button, as well as Face ID.
    True, that feature would be especially useful for the times we're living in now (requiring face mask) and other scenarios you might have your face covered like in extreme weather conditions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Yup, I think FaceID is more convenient, but the whole mask thing makes it useless when you’re out shopping. 

Welcome back TouchID! 🙄
    jrcdewmeOnPartyBusinesscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    USB-c means pencil 2 I presume.

imagine, the pencil half the price of the iPad.
    rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    entropys said:

Don't worry, Apple will increase the price of the iPad so the pencil isn't such a high percentage of the total purchase ;)

headfull0winerazorpitdewme
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I personally prefer TouchID to FaceID and not a big fan of all the swiping in new iOS versions to be honest.
    Not sure how TouchID will work with the ipad in a case though... I guess a cutout in the case if this is real. But I don’t see how a thin device can get a wide enough fingerprint image, so we’ll see.
    I’d have thought a TouchID sensor on the back of the iPad would make more sense.
    It would be best if new iPads had both FaceID and TouchID.
    I’m in the market for at least one new iPad amongst other things so waiting patiently...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Manual? What manual? We don’t need no stinkin’ manual!
    seanismorrisGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Yup, I would have bought two of these if they were available in July.

My bet is these new iPad Air models will use the A13 SoC with 4 GB of RAM.

Me? Still waiting on miniLED and 8 GB of RAM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    USB-C or Thunderbolt?

The first MAC with ARM will have Thunderbolt. That means there’s a good chance that the A14 series of SoCs have Thunderbolt as well (to avoid having to make multiple variations of the SoC).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    oseame said:
    I wonder if or why not, use BOTH as kind of a 2 Factor auth type deal. I like TouchID. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    joeblack said:
    True, that feature would be especially useful for the times we're living in now (requiring face mask) and other scenarios you might have your face covered like in extreme weather conditions.
    Not sure what the use case is for using an iPad in Extreme Weather Conditions, but face masks obviously makes sense. I do remember a story a few days ago talking about Apple being send to make FaceID more usable with masks. Not sure how secure FaceID would be in that case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    stoneyg said:
    joeblack said:
    Not sure what the use case is for using an iPad in Extreme Weather Conditions, but face masks obviously makes sense. I do remember a story a few days ago talking about Apple being send to make FaceID more usable with masks. Not sure how secure FaceID would be in that case.
    For extreme weather conditions, I was thinking like a person being in cold weather with one of those caps that covers the face; but now I think about it, the last thing a person is probably thinking about is whipping out their iPad outside with freezing temperatures 😂  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34

I see "What's new in iMovie"  and i click CONTINUE button and I think it will bring me to the details of this update. NO, IT DOESNT! It just opens my iMovie app. OK! I ask  HELP about 5 new filters advertised as I have no idea WHERE to find them. HELP answers -'No results found". Is it a JOKE????

• Reply 17 of 34

Let's take the latest update in iMovie.  Intro to keyboard shortcuts in iMovie on Mac. There’s a link . If you think it will lead you to a list of shortcuts, you'll be wrong - shortcuts are NOWHERE to be found! your link brings me to your Support page.

• Reply 18 of 34
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    entropys said:

Current iPad Air starts at $499.00.. Apple Pencil 2nd gen is $129.00? That certainly isn't half the price? B)

Apple will probably drop the price of the 2nd gen pencil when this is released  ... and then release a 3rd gen pencil to go with the new Mini LED iPad rumored for early next year.

fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    jcs2305 said:
    entropys said:

Current iPad Air starts at $499.00.. Apple Pencil 2nd gen is $129.00? That certainly isn't half the price? B)

Apple will probably drop the price of the 2nd gen pencil when this is released  ... and then release a 3rd gen pencil to go with the new Mini LED iPad rumored for early next year.

Ok pedant, 

28.646034288253235664282340273477837688 % of the price. You gotta admit the margins on these peripherals must be fantastic.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    oh hey peeps, if you carry around your Pencil in a bag, have some sort of hard cap or protection for the damn thing. I don't know when/how it happened, but I pulled out my Pencil a couple months ago and found the tip slightly askew. New tip didn't help, the internal metal was bent. I'm not sure if it got dropped or sat on or what but it was ruined. 
    aderutterGeorgeBMacDogpersonwatto_cobra