'iPhone 12' may not ship with EarPods, power adapter to offset 5G costs

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple may not include EarPods or a charging brick with "iPhone 12" models in 2020 as a way of offsetting increased production costs due to new 5G components.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Rumors of the change in accessories have been swirling for months now. Back in May, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that the "iPhone 12" wouldn't come with headphones, and similar predictions have been made for the charging adapter.

Now, Taiwan-based research firm TrendForce is reporting that Apple has "decided" to ship its "iPhone 12" models in 2020 without either of those accessories.

According to TrendForce, the move is an effort to "cut costs and stabilize retail pricing." Because of the addition of 5G support -- including mmWave in some models -- the bill of materials for the "iPhone 12" is likely to be significantly higher than past models.

The research firm notes that the lack of accessories is expected to "help with sales performance." Kuo has previously claimed that the lack of EarPods could drive sales of Apple AirPods.

In July, AppleInsider was provided a render of an alleged box insert for the "iPhone 12 model" that depicted a lack of space for a charging brick or EarPods. The packaging could also suggest generally slimmer -- and more environmentally conscious -- iPhone boxes.

Apple has also been surveying some users about what they did with the AC charging adapters bundled with previous iPhones. Without a USB adapter in the box, Apple likely expects users to rely on the chargers they already have.

There have been some conflicting rumors, however. In June, a leak claimed that the "iPhone 12" would ship with a new 20W USB-C charging adapter. That adapter has also received certification in some countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    They will either exclude accessories and keep price same or include them and raise price - I find it hard to believe they would both exclude items and raise the price ... the media would have a field day with that scenario.
    twokatmewlkruppllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 43
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Let's make a safe prediction:

The media and iKnockoff morons will mock Apple to hell and back.

Then everyone else will copy.
    entropysronnlkruppllamapscooter63viclauyyccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 43
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    This kind of makes sense. Most of us have too many headphones and power adapters laying around. For those that don't this is a good way for 3rd party sellers to gain a leg up. They can offer an iPhone with these bundled for free as a way to discount the iPhone. This is pretty much how it works with Macs and RAM. Apple's memory is higher priced which lets others offer deals by selling a Mac with extra RAM for free or at low price.
    tmayviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 43
    The new 20 Watt adapter will likely be sold as an accessory, and perhaps be included with new USB-C iPads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    This kind of makes sense. Most of us have too many headphones and power adapters laying around. For those that don't this is a good way for 3rd party sellers to gain a leg up.
    Yeah except using a 3rd party charger may void your warranty.
    edited August 2020 BeatsGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Apple should at least offer a bundle price for iPhone12 + Charger + EarPods, this way it can be sold as giving consumers more choices.
    I wouldn’t need the EarPods but would need the charger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    This kind of makes sense. Most of us have too many headphones and power adapters laying around...
    I agree with this first part of your comment, but not with the rest. I worry that first time buyers looking for a bargain to offset the premium prices of Apple hardware will buy cheap knock-off power adapters that could cause serious problems such as battery damage or even fires. We've seen that already with replaceable batteries. That may not be a big problem here in the good old US of A (no disrespect), but it could be a more serious problem in other countries.

First time buyers, especially on-line buyers, should be provided with all the essential components to start using their iPhone immediately. IMHO a basic charger and operating instructions are essential; headphones and cases are not.
    visualzonewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    I won’t mind without the brick and cable but I think still it’s a bad move. 

The media and most users aren’t going to care if they did it that way so they can keep the price the same because of 5G components.

The general consensus will be “if I get a $650 or $1K iPhone I expect at least a freaking cable to charge it”

Earbuds they can get away with it because you can still use the phone without them they are more of an accessory BUT you can’t keep using your phone without a charging cable after battery is depleted so the cable is more essential item than an accessory. 

Again this is from the perspective of NEW customers those of us within the ecosystem already won’t care because there are plenty cables and bricks around from previous purchases. It just looks bad to entice potential new hardware purchasers.

One way they can get somewhere close is to offer some sort of options at checkout like add-ons with a slightly lower price than retail and it is not going to look that bad. Like they do now with the education discount that you can get the airpods pro or wireless and pay the extra cost.

That may work but selling the iPhone and then “oh btw get a charger because it doesn’t come with one even though is a $1K iPhone.” it is just giving the media and haters a field day. Of course Samsung and Google will quietly follow but Apple will be the one getting roasted. Like Samsung did with the 3.5 mm port. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    hentaiboy said:
    This kind of makes sense. Most of us have too many headphones and power adapters laying around. For those that don't this is a good way for 3rd party sellers to gain a leg up.

And Apple gets blamed when those 3rd party chargers burn their iPhone.
    dhawkins541visualzonewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It would be interesting to see if the greater margins from this nickel and dime move outweigh the negative press and universal derision this dick move will be portrayed in the media, fanned by Apple’s competitors. You will be able to tell depending on whether or not these same competitors follow a few years later.

The negative media will be even more intense given Covid induced hard times. Cheaper phones that still come with those peripherals will look even better value.

At the very least Apple might consider a voucher system for them if it was truly about the environment. Then it’s buyer’s choice. The value of the voucher could be product sensitive and used to steer people towards wireless if Apple wants. Even better, an Apple Card with Apple bucks on it for use in Apple stores. Then those screeching how because they don’t need them, therefore no one else does either, can also feel treated equally.
    edited August 2020 blurpbleepblooptokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 43
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    By excluding the charger, Apple can use much smaller packaging and therefore save more Polar Bears 😇
  • Reply 12 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    hentaiboy said:
    By excluding the charger, Apple can use much smaller packaging and therefore save more Polar Bears 😇
    The polar bears are already screwed and Apple only wants to save customers. 

• Reply 13 of 43
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    hentaiboy said:
    When has that ever happened?

They would have to have evidence that damage to the phone was caused by the third party charger (whose warranty no doubt excludes damage to the attached device).
    chemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    mknelson said:
    hentaiboy said:
    When has that ever happened?

They would have to have evidence that damage to the phone was caused by the third party charger (whose warranty no doubt excludes damage to the attached device).
    Just watch Louis Rossman on YouTube, he runs a Mac repair shop. The example of a woman who bought a third party adapter and fried her MacBook. She then tested her adapter on her friends MacBook, and fried that too. It happens.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    I have a ton of chargers and not only EarPods but two sets of AirPods so for me no accessories would be fine. New iPhone users not so much so I hope Apple offers a discount for those wanting them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Sweet Jeebus.  It's just a rumor and we already have people making excuses for Apple offering less than they normally do.  If the rumor is true, @entropys is right; it's a nickle-and-dime move from a company that could soon be valued at 3 f'n trillion dollars.  The rumor essentially says: "Because our cost is higher, we will give you less to offset that cost."  Unsaid but implied, and equally important is "giving you less helps us maintain our industry leading margins and profits".

The same people who love to boast about Apple's amazing industry profit share, stock valuation, cash holdings, app store revenue... the financial superlatives just go on and on... are the same one's who are more than willing to be shortchanged by a super-mega corporation that has a figurative license to print money.  Apparently Stockholm is not just a city in Sweden.

muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1darkvader
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Sweet Jeebus.  It's just a rumor and we already have people making excuses for Apple offering less than they normally do.  If the rumor is true, @entropys is right; it's a nickle-and-dime move from a company that could soon be valued at 3 f'n trillion dollars.  The rumor essentially says: "Because our cost is higher, we will give you less to offset that cost."  Unsaid but implied, and equally important is "giving you less helps us maintain our industry leading margins and profits".

The same people who love to boast about Apple's amazing industry profit share, stock valuation, cash holdings, app store revenue... the financial superlatives just go on and on... are the same one's who are more than willing to be shortchanged by a super-mega corporation that has a figurative license to print money.  Apparently Stockholm is not just a city in Sweden.

I have said this earlier and will say it again. There are MANY people in this forum who are Apple stock holders. They are consumers of Apple products too. And they have a conflict of interest when they comment on topics such as this. They do NOT wear the cap of customers when they comment on topics such as these and choose to write comments from a stockholder's POV only. The amount of money they will potentially earn through the higher stock price would more than offset the loss for them as a consumer when Apple makes such moves. Having said that, there are few reasonable people as well (Melgross comes to mind immediately) who are able to think/post from a customer's point of view almost all of the time, even though they own lots of Apple's shares.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 18 of 43
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    You have to have a charger with the phone.  EarPods? No one cares.  The end.  
    cornchipwatto_cobraHank2.0
  • Reply 19 of 43
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 144member
    I think it totally makes sense! I am afraid to go near storage where I bundled up all my spare cables :smile:
    It would be a lot more easier if and when they switch to usb-c.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    The copycats have already started.  Tesla says it will sell all new Model Y with no tires to give customers the freedom to choose whatever specialty tire they want and to help save on the expense of doing business.  What next?
    darkvader