Facebook says Apple blocked in-app message informing users of 30% App Store fee

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,127member
    What FaceBook fails to disclose is that it actually earns revenue in other ways, such as paid advertising, during these events. It also collects user data that it uses to target those ads, and relies on the visits to its properties during those events to pitch its ad services to its advertising customers.
    Pascalxxdysamoriapscooter63Dogpersonwatto_cobrajony0darelrex
  • Reply 22 of 59
    mike54 said:
    Good lord! ... Facebook criticising others about transparency.
    In the interest of humanity I hope Mark Z along with his Facebook takes the first one way trip to Mars.
    Martians:  “Hey, we don’t want him either.”
    GG1dysamoriathtcat52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 59
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Nobody is forcing Facebook to use Apple’s AppStore. As far as I can remember, Facebook had released very proudly a few years ago an own phone and called him the killer of the iPhone.
    Dear Facebook, may I ask you , where is your  killer gone now? Why you don’t use your own phone to avoid the 30% of AppStore. This is the best solution of your problem. 

cat52watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Mark can suck it! He should maybe tell his products they're aren't his customers the adverts are. If you ain't paying but using it ain't free someone is paying for you. 
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    “tax” the spokesman says. Shut you the f up already. SMH
    I agree. It is not a tax. It’s more akin to a rental fee for access to a location. 
    dysamoriallamaelijahgDogpersoncat52watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 26 of 59
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Is the Apple Tax still due if payment goes through Stripe ?
  • Reply 27 of 59
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 626member
    None of these companies understand their are costs to doing business that have to be factored into your price. The list is long and always grows. 

My example of this is my storefront is in the mall, which is the most desirable location. If I want to be in there I have to meet the demands of the landlord and follow the rules set forth by them. My choices are to pay the price or leave the mall for a less desirable location that will significantly impact my revenue.

I cannot demand lower rent because I do not like the existing amount. Negotiate too hard and the landlord can choose not to renew. The landlord can also refuse to negotiate (or price me out) when my lease expires forcing me to leave. stir up too much trouble and I could be kicked out. Add to that every tenant having different lease agreements and no one knows what the other tenants are paying. 

It is about as lopsided a relationship as there is. The App Store is easy street. Some simple rules at a flat fee that is known upfront. This is something every store owner dreams of. 

If anything comes of this the consumer will be the only loser. I have yet to hear one iPhone user complain about the App Store. I’ll add that if any of the App Store haters believe things will be cheaper if the rules are changed they will be unpleasantly surprised when new rules are put in place such as
    -minimum app pricing
    -higher development kit costs
    -submittal and review costs
    -per download costs charged to the app owner
    These seem absurd now, but nothing is off the table once the the rules change. 
    mdriftmeyerdysamoriaGG1DogpersonBiggieTallwatto_cobrajony0Detnator
  • Reply 28 of 59
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,743member
    The customer should not be brought into the business negotiations. 

Facebook doesn’t need to be talking to customers about their hosting/serving, and stocking fees. 

That should be invisible to the consumer. 

Low class move by Facebook and obviously purposely designed to try to affect the minds of those who use facebooks app. 

30% is a good rate. And one you see everywhere. It’s also part of partnering in business. Apple doesn’t exist to give away free stuff any more than any other business. 

These companies are taking in money hand over fiat and they have the gall to try to skip the payments they owe - like they are somehow victims of injustice. 

Shameful. Apple should charge those thst try to harm them an extra 5%. 
    dysamoriapscooter63thtGG1Dogpersoncat52jony0Detnator
  • Reply 29 of 59
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,254member
    urahara said:
    At the same time my banking app on iOS works without ‘taxes’. 
    So it is possible. But Facebook has own agenda, not the goal to help others as they claim. 
    I wonder if it actually is working without "taxes." With Duck-Duck-Go Privacy Essentials on my Mac (Big Sur includes this capability) I can see all the trackers and everything else hidden from view on websites. I presume iOS apps use some of the same hidden things, especially google-analytics and doubleclick (this is what it shows for this webpage). I'm not sure how to determine if your banking app is or isn't doing anything in the background without these types of trackers and hidden things. It's very difficult to go anywhere on the web without running into these two main trackers or having bad privacy practices. Youtube shows zero trackers but poor security practices including unprotected sites. There's a lot of things that go into writing apps as well as web pages that people aren't aware of. If you try and block all of them the website just won't work.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 758member
    crowley said:
    Not a great look for Apple, evn if Facebook's hypocrisy sticks in the throat a bit. 
    Would you allow a company to try an smear you on your platform?  Doubt it.
    dysamoriathtn2itivguyDogpersoncat52watto_cobrajony0darelrex
  • Reply 31 of 59

For the same reason, Facebook should also report how much money they are making per each costumer in any day, per month, or per year, as well, the margins per user in this so called “free application”. It might be more than 30%.

dysamoriathtGG1Dogpersoncat52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Pascalxx said:
    As I understand it, Facebook basically wants to allow small businesses to receive donations through the platform, without taking a cut and wants Apple to do the same. It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable suggestion to me. Are there no App Store fee waivers for donations?
    I don't see anything stopping Facebook from providing this service to small businesses for free, if they are really so charitable, without having to ask Apple to chip in.
    edited August 2020 dysamoria9secondkox2Dogpersoncat52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 33 of 59
    gatorguy said:
    Pascalxx said:
    As I understand it, Facebook basically wants to allow small businesses to receive donations through the platform, without taking a cut and wants Apple to do the same. It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable suggestion to me. Are there no App Store fee waivers for donations?
    I sincerely hope people understand what Facebook is up to. They are not innocent.
    Ditto for Epic.
    dysamoriapscooter63thtGG1n2itivguycat52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 34 of 59
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    mike54 said:
    Good lord! ... Facebook criticising others about transparency.
    In the interest of humanity I hope Mark Z along with his Facebook takes the first one way trip to Mars.
    Don’t contaminate Mars, man!!
    thtDogpersoncat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Pascalxx said:
    Reasonable. Do payment transaction services ever do this?
    elijahg
  • Reply 36 of 59
    jimh2 said:
    None of these companies understand their are costs to doing business that have to be factored into your price. The list is long and always grows. 

My example of this is my storefront is in the mall, which is the most desirable location. If I want to be in there I have to meet the demands of the landlord and follow the rules set forth by them. My choices are to pay the price or leave the mall for a less desirable location that will significantly impact my revenue.

I cannot demand lower rent because I do not like the existing amount. Negotiate too hard and the landlord can choose not to renew. The landlord can also refuse to negotiate (or price me out) when my lease expires forcing me to leave. stir up too much trouble and I could be kicked out. Add to that every tenant having different lease agreements and no one knows what the other tenants are paying. 

It is about as lopsided a relationship as there is. The App Store is easy street. Some simple rules at a flat fee that is known upfront. This is something every store owner dreams of. 

If anything comes of this the consumer will be the only loser. I have yet to hear one iPhone user complain about the App Store. I’ll add that if any of the App Store haters believe things will be cheaper if the rules are changed they will be unpleasantly surprised when new rules are put in place such as
    -minimum app pricing
    -higher development kit costs
    -submittal and review costs
    -per download costs charged to the app owner
    These seem absurd now, but nothing is off the table once the the rules change. 
    I agree. But I, as a user, do have complaints about the App Store. Not about prices or the way it controls what is installable on my iOS devices (except for when older iOS versions are blocked).

I think the discovery of apps is poor. The categories suck, the many tons of garbage apps (and opportunists selling the same junky open-source ports) need to be deleted, and the search-result ads need to be dropped.

elijahgn2itivguyDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 59
    lorca2770 said:

For the same reason, Facebook should also report how much money they are making per each costumer in any day, per month, or per year, as well, the margins per user in this so called “free application”. It might be more than 30%.

I’d like a cut of that income. It’s my effing data, after all. 🧐
    dewmeelijahgn2itivguyDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    igorsky said:
    Pascalxx said:
    I don't see anything stopping Facebook from providing this service to small businesses for free, if they are really so charitable, without having to ask Apple to chip in.
    My thoughts exactly. 
    Dogpersoncat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 59
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,391member
    Mark Zuckerberg is our generation's version of Alfred Nobel. Unfortunately, he hasn't reached the point where he realizes that his creations, despite their great naive promise, can also have an enormously destructive influence on humanity when used for nefarious purposes or weaponized. If Zuckerberg has a molecule of humanity in his soul he will devote some of his remaining time during his lifetime to mitigate the destructive influences of social media, at least the weapon-grade variety we currently see deployed, and offer incentives for using the platform for greater good rather than simply as a way to siphon personal profits from the exploitation of human weaknesses, political vulgarities, and cognitive biases.

No, social media and Facebook are not inherently evil, but Facebook and Zuckerberg can no longer act like an impartial or neutral spectator at the modern day equivalent of the Roman Coliseum that he has created, one that is always open for spectacle. He could and should do much more and not leave it to a "Zuckerberg Peace Prize" postmortem legacy to try to cleanse his soul of his current acceptance of wrongdoing. The fact that Facebook is now weaponizing their own platform against a sometimes business partner, and oftentimes competitor, like Apple is particularly despicable. 
    pscooter63llamaGG1cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 59
    stukestuke Posts: 123member
    What small business named Facebook. Go back and whine to all your customers with a transparency statement that reads “for years we stole your personal data to determine your habits so we could target you by selling that info to others.”  Then let’s hear your response to transparency. 
    DnykjpRfC6fnBsDogpersoncat52n2itivguylkruppwatto_cobra