DAVE: passwordless guest account?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm on my university's windows network but I'm running a Powerbook. I set up DAVE to share a folder on the network because my professors often have to access homework files, etc. I was wondering if there is any way to set up a passwordless "guest" account so that windows users can simply login and read files without the hassle of having to remember their own account info. Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks,

Max

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krskrft

I'm on my university's windows network but I'm running a Powerbook. I set up DAVE to share a folder on the network because my professors often have to access homework files, etc. I was wondering if there is any way to set up a passwordless "guest" account so that windows users can simply login and read files without the hassle of having to remember their own account info. Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks,

Max

Yeah, this is how I have my computer set up right now. But I've found that DAVE can be very flakey. Just set the password as nothing. And then you can share your public folder (or whatever) and anyone will be able to access it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    krskrftkrskrft Posts: 3member
    This is how I have it set up right now. It's alright, but I was wondering if there's a way to set it up so no password dialogue even comes up for Windows users (sort of like the guest account for NT/XP users). I was able to do this with SSP, but then again SSP doesn't offer me the advantage of being able to connect to windows machines via their computer names like DAVE does.

-Max
  • Reply 3 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Really? With my computer, people just type \\\\computername and it goes right to it, without a password screen or anything. I have Dave Sharing on, configured at a share level, with read-only access (accessing as www, the default setting), and a blank password.

Perhaps yours is configured at a user level?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    krskrftkrskrft Posts: 3member
    Oh wow. Thanks for the help. I'd been using the account called "guest" in share level. It seems to work alright with the "www" account.

-Max