Apple shuts down Epic Games developer account

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple has terminated Epic Games' developer account, effectively removing access to the company's suite of games including Fortnite.

Credit: Epic Games
Credit: Epic Games

The Cupertino tech giant on Friday followed through with a promise to shut down Epic's developer account on Aug. 28. Epic attempted to block the action by filing a restraining order earlier this month, but a U.S. District Court denied that request on Monday.

In a statement to AppleInsider Friday, Apple confirmed that it had shut down the Epic developer account and that the game company would no longer be able to submit new apps or app updates to the App Store. "We are disappointed that we had to terminate the Epic Games account on the App Store," Apple said.

We have worked with the team at Epic Games for many years on their launches and releases.

The court recommended that Epic comply with the App Store guidelines while their case moves forward, guidelines that they've followed for the past decade until they created this situation. Epic has refused.

Instead, they repeatedly submit Fortnite updates designed to violate the guidelines of the App Store. This is not fair to all the other developers on the App Store, and is putting customers in the middle of their fight.

We hope that we can work together again in the future, but unfortunately that is not possible today.

A search for the Epic Games developer account on Apple's website turns up a blank web page and "Fortnite" is still absent from the App Store. Although users who have "Fortnite" installed on their phones can continue to play the game, they will not see any new content on the platform, nor will they be able to re-download the game if deleted.

Apple says Epic is directing Fortnite customer complaints to AppleCare, a move that is causing problems with refund processing and general support services, reports CNBC.

On Thursday evening, Epic Games began sending emails directly to iOS and macOS users claiming Apple was the sole reason it could no longer issue "Fortnite" updates.

"Epic lowered prices through a direct payment option, but Apple is blocking Fortnite in order to prevent Epic from passing on the savings from direct payments to players," the company said in the email.

The "Fortnite" maker originally baited Apple into removing the battle royale title from the App Store by implementing a feature that was a direct violation of Apple's developer guidelines. The move a strategic effort, combined with a lawsuit and a marketing campaign, that sought to protest Apple's 30% cut of in-app purchases.

In her ruling Monday, U.S. District Court Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers denied Epic's request for a temporary restraining order, citing the facts that it was not suffering "irreparable harm" and that it was in a situation "of its own making."

Judge Rogers did bar Apple from shutting down a separate developer account used to maintain the Unreal Engine, however. The Unreal Engine is a platform used by many gaming applications, including Apple-highlighted "Fortnite" competitor PUBG.

Update: Epic CEO Tim Sweeney responded to Apple's decision in a tweet Friday, saying, "Apple's statement isn't forthright. They chose to terminate Epic's account; they didn't *have* to. That's not so. Epic submitted three Fortnite builds: two bug-fix updates, and the Season 4 update with this note." The note informs Apple of a submitted Fortnite build that includes current Season 4 content, but also continues to offer Epic's direct payment system in violation of App Store guidelines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    P.A.R.T ....Why???  Because I gotta!! 🥳
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 107
    I wonder what Epic is thinking...
    I get they are frustrated with the 30% “Apple Tax” but their actions make no sense.
    killroypichaelmrmacgeekpulseimagescornchipn2itivguydysamoriajony0ols
  • Reply 3 of 107
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    "The Cupertino tech giant on Friday followed through with a promise to shut down Epic's developer account on Aug. 28. Epic requested a restraining order to block the action"

So Epic baited Apple into removing them, then begged them not to?
    killroypichaelcornchipanantksundaramRayz2016n2itivguyaderutterStrangeDaysdysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 4 of 107
    This is just the start of a longer legal battle. No one wins, one side just loses more slowly.
    cornchiptrackeroz
  • Reply 5 of 107
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I get they are frustrated with the 30% “Apple Tax” but their actions make no sense.

I'm thinking that for them, they can only win.   They can't lose:
    Their game is to break down the walls of the walled garden.  
    -- If they succeed then they win
    -- if they don't succeed then they go back to obeying the rules -- and have lost very little (but gained a bunch of free publicity!)
    mitchelljdbchar
  • Reply 6 of 107
    quenchquench Posts: 14member
    So Epic agreed to the contract because they know Apple has an enormous base of customers. Then epic got greedy and thought they could be dishonorable and cheat the company (Apple) that helped them become a worldwide sensation.
    epic you suck for your dishonesty, lying to customers when you blamed Apple for the situation that you forced onto itself, stealing from the company that made you extremely wealthy. 
    I don’t care what quality games you produce, I will not support a greedy, lying, stealing company ever again.
    I'm done with you epic!
    pichaelmrmacgeekgeorgie01pulseimagesBeatsn2itivguyagilealtitudeAlchemydewmeanantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 107
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member

-- if they don't succeed then they go back to obeying the rules -- and have lost very little (but gained a bunch of free publicity!)

But they look like fools for starting this mess.
    pulseimagesBeatsn2itivguypscooter63AlchemycornchipanantksundarammwhiteStrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 107
    70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
    pulseimagesBeatsn2itivguyGG1dewmepeterhartRayz2016mwhiteapplephdysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 107

Epic will turn more developers away than gain by this move. Apple created the 30% to level the playing field. EVERY developer has to pay the SAME amount regardless or how big they are. Epic wants new deals just for them so developers aren't going to take to this too well. Sure it might make others come back to Apple and demand similar deals but most developers are intelligent and realise the need for Apple to take a cut.

Remember, Epic has always had the ability to side step the App Store for these purchases by purchasing through their own website. Epic CHOSE to skirt these rules and try and do it in-app. Epic has taken a double barrelled shotgun, pointed it at its feet and yelled "PULL". Now Epic has no legs to stand on.
    Beatspscooter63mwhitetrackerozaderutterlolliverkurai_kagejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 107
    OOOH BURN! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 107
    quench said:
    So Epic agreed to the contract because they know Apple has an enormous base of customers. Then epic got greedy and thought they could be dishonorable and cheat the company (Apple) that helped them become a worldwide sensation.
    epic you suck for your dishonesty, lying to customers when you blamed Apple for the situation that you forced onto itself, stealing from the company that made you extremely wealthy. 
    I don’t care what quality games you produce, I will not support a greedy, lying, stealing company ever again.
    I'm done with you epic!
    This is a perfect description of what Epic is doing, and of my own response too.

I don’t tolerate politicians and media acting like this and I won’t tolerate businesses doing it either. Epic could have just taken Apple to court like honourable people, but they decided to blatantly lie to their customers and to the general public and are working to damage the reputation of another company, and they’re not even doing this for the ‘greater good’ (which wouldn’t justify it to me anyway) but instead for their own selfish gain.
    Beatsn2itivguycornchipaderutterjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 107
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Epic Fail...
    Beatsn2itivguydewmecornchiphammeroftruthanantksundaramJFC_PARayz2016djames4242viclauyyc
  • Reply 13 of 107
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    Sweeney is being dishonest and disingenuous. 
    n2itivguypscooter63sbwolvescornchipmwhiteStrangeDaysdysamorialolliverjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 107
    The update further proves Epic are liars:

"Update: Epic CEO Tim Sweeney responded to Apple's decision in a tweet Friday, saying, "Apple's statement isn't forthright. They chose to terminate Epic's account; they didn't *have* to. That's not so. Epic submitted three Fortnite builds: two bug-fix updates, and the Season 4 update with this note." The note informs Apple of a submitted Fortnite build that includes current Season 4 content, but also continues to offer Epic's direct payment system in violation of App Store guidelines."
    qwerty52aderutterlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 107
    Epic asked self for, and now is playing the role of victim. The top of all is that, Epic is hiding now behind the
    users and unfairly is trying to turn them up Apple. But it will not help.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 107
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    So when is Apple coming out with the game engine to rule them all?
    Beatsdysamoriadonjuan
  • Reply 17 of 107
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    It’s not an Apple tax. People are using that word bcoz it’s inflammatory.

Its a required fee to be able to utilize the storefront. Nothing wrong with that. Same goes for fecesbook. We’ll see how far fuckerberg gets with that one. 
    BeatsdocbburksbwolvesGG1Dogpersonmwhiteequality72521StrangeDaysdysamoriapsych_guy
  • Reply 18 of 107
    Quench,  so you believe that Apple owns a piece of all revenues from anything on their devices?

wasnt that way with Macs and ought not be a walled garden with a 30% Apple tax.   iPads and phones ought not be so locked down,  it is anti consumer 

quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!

elijahgbulk001
  • Reply 19 of 107
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    My wife sells wholesale goods to retailers. With Epic’s logic, she should take her products, walk in to her favorite large retailer (WalMart), setup a table or two, and start selling direct.

Sure, that would work great.

/s

douglas baileycornchipJFC_PApujones1mark fearingdjames4242viclauyycmwhiteequality72521aderutter
  • Reply 20 of 107
    Quench,  so you believe that Apple owns a piece of all revenues from anything on their devices?

wasnt that way with Macs and ought not be a walled garden with a 30% Apple tax.   iPads and phones ought not be so locked down,  it is anti consumer 

quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!

If that's an "Apple Tax" then let's be fair.

Wal-Mart Tax
    Amazon Tax
    Nintendo Tax
    Microsoft Tax
    Target Tax
    Home Depot Tax
    Kroger Tax
    Best Buy Tax

So stupid.
    edited August 2020 AlchemycornchiphammeroftruthanantksundaramkillroyDogpersonpscooter63JFC_PAmark fearingmwhite