Apple shuts down Epic Games developer account

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    Beats said:
    Quench,  so you believe that Apple owns a piece of all revenues from anything on their devices?

wasnt that way with Macs and ought not be a walled garden with a 30% Apple tax.   iPads and phones ought not be so locked down,  it is anti consumer 

quench said:
    So Epic agreed to the contract because they know Apple has an enormous base of customers. Then epic got greedy and thought they could be dishonorable and cheat the company (Apple) that helped them become a worldwide sensation.
    epic you suck for your dishonesty, lying to customers when you blamed Apple for the situation that you forced onto itself, stealing from the company that made you extremely wealthy. 
    I don’t care what quality games you produce, I will not support a greedy, lying, stealing company ever again.
    I'm done with you epic!

If that's an "Apple Tax" then let's be fair.

Wal-Mart Tax
    Amazon Tax
    Nintendo Tax
    Microsoft Tax
    Target Tax
    Home Depot Tax
    Kroger Tax
    Best Buy Tax

So stupid.
    Don’t forget the Epic Tax in their own store!
    viclauyycRayz2016Beatsmdriftmeyern2itivguyStrangeDaysdysamoriacornchipkurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 107

Epic is one of the exceptions - they are incredibly successful - but they are fighting the PRINCIPLE here and that’s not just for themselves. They don’t need Apple’s iOS revenue. They want CHANGE. Their philosophy in revenue sharing with developers for their own tools is much more developer friendly. They are much more values driven here. Apple is in fact the greedy one here. It’s not a coincidence they reaches a 2 trillion market cap here!

There’s several examples of Apple being greedy.
    Stop defending Apple like it’s some exception to the rule and that it’s some kind of amazing company that is out there to help developers rich. They don’t care about that. They care about their own valuation.    
    If Epic has so much principal, why don’t they fight the big 3 consoles companies? Epic is still paying the same 30% in a much more closed wall garden like a little bitch!
    Rayz2016mwhiteequality72521Beatsaderuttermdriftmeyern2itivguyStrangeDaysthtpscooter63
  • Reply 43 of 107
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    quench said:
    So Epic agreed to the contract because they know Apple has an enormous base of customers. Then epic got greedy and thought they could be dishonorable and cheat the company (Apple) that helped them become a worldwide sensation.
    epic you suck for your dishonesty, lying to customers when you blamed Apple for the situation that you forced onto itself, stealing from the company that made you extremely wealthy. 
    I don’t care what quality games you produce, I will not support a greedy, lying, stealing company ever again.
    I'm done with you epic!
    And you don’t think Apple is greedy? Charging 500% of the retail price for storage in your new iMac, or soldering the SSD in your motherboard because then you’ll buy a new iMac sooner when it dies? And still 30% in 2020 on app purchases, while the vast majority of developers are drowning and disappearing in the offerings of millions of apps? 

This is not 2009 when your app actually was discoverable on the App Store. 30% for essentially hosting your game and not getting any service out of Apple for anything else (except MAYBE getting your game on their release stream - discoverable for what, like, 3 days maybe?), and then having to PAY for advertisements on the App Store on top the 30%... That is killing developers. 
    Do you know how much devs are SPENDING and risking before that game launches? Do you have any idea about the economics of it all? I guess you don’t. 
    Well, I do, I have released over 40 games on the App Store - both licensed IP’s and games for marketing purposes, some successful and some not, and I can tell you the App Store today is a shit show because of the sheer amount of content. 
    Top tier earners keep earning because they BUY their users with their earnings. Hundreds thousands per day. You have no chance of turning the tides in your favor. It’s a mess.

Epic is one of the exceptions - they are incredibly successful - but they are fighting the PRINCIPLE here and that’s not just for themselves. They don’t need Apple’s iOS revenue. They want CHANGE. Their philosophy in revenue sharing with developers for their own tools is much more developer friendly. They are much more values driven here. Apple is in fact the greedy one here. It’s not a coincidence they reaches a 2 trillion market cap here!

Stop defending Apple like it’s some exception to the rule and that it’s some kind of amazing company that is out there to help developers rich. They don’t care about that. They care about their own valuation.    
    As a developer myself, admittedly not for games, I’m very familiar with the problems the App Store has for developers, and the thousands of dollars it takes to build an app that will attract buyers. But to promote that this “battle” between Epic and Apple will help us is disingenuous.

1. Epic want to have their own store on iOS.
    2. Epic want to have their own store on iPadOS.
    3. Epic want to have their own store on tvOS.

Thats it.

Epic don’t care about the 30% fee level, which for us is the bigger concern as it strips away a large chunk of our margin. They also don’t care about the additional ad spend we feel we have to do to promote our apps in the App Store as they charge for the same thing in their store.

This Epic vs Apple battle will not help us until it transitions to the fee level which, I agree with you, is probably a little high now given the changes in the marketplace over the last decade. But we signed up to the terms knowing full well what the cost was going to be so the argument isn’t a legal one.

The argument is an economic one. Can we take our apps out of the App Store and survive on non-Apple device revenue? You know, earning our living in a market free-for-all like the Android space is and is how Epic wants the Apple space to be. THAT is how developers force Apple’s hand on the 30% by abandoning the platform, but it won’t happen.

My revenue/profit stream mix may not be reflective of yours (or any other developers) and it is definitely not like Epics, but the App Store distribution is close to 65% of my revenue, and 80% of my profits. I literally can not afford not to be in the App Store with its 30/15 fee as I don’t have the time or resource depth to build out myself what I get for being in the App Store. Having more stores may create market forces to bring the headline fee cut down, but there are other costs you get hit with that mean the overall costs for each platform or store distribution channel are far higher than the headline price appears.

I’d rather focus my limited time (being a developer is not my main job) improving my apps rather than building out distribution and payment systems I’m afraid.

But that is just my own opinion based on my own situation and Epics push for an open free-for-all space in the Apple iOS based platform is not one that will help me at all.
    mwhiteequality72521tenthousandthingsPascalxxaderutterBiggieTalln2itivguyDogpersonmanfred zorndysamoria
  • Reply 44 of 107
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    viclauyyc said:

If Epic has so much principal, why don’t they fight the big 3 consoles companies? Epic is still paying the same 30% in a much more closed wall garden like a little bitch!
    Yes, rampant tribalism works both ways: while the likes of @GeorgeBMac and @Cheezefreeze convince themselves that Epic is acting on "PRINCIPLE" they conveniently ignore the fact that they also charge a percentage on sales on their platforms. Smells a lot like hypocrisy rather than principle. 

Will Epic open up their own platform so that other developers can sell skins and add-ons freely? Somehow I doubt it.

edited August 2020 equality72521BeatsBiggieTalln2itivguyDogpersonStrangeDaysdysamoriapscooter63lollivertmay
  • Reply 45 of 107
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Naiyas said:
    quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!
    And you don’t think Apple is greedy? Charging 500% of the retail price for storage in your new iMac, or soldering the SSD in your motherboard because then you’ll buy a new iMac sooner when it dies? And still 30% in 2020 on app purchases, while the vast majority of developers are drowning and disappearing in the offerings of millions of apps? 

This is not 2009 when your app actually was discoverable on the App Store. 30% for essentially hosting your game and not getting any service out of Apple for anything else (except MAYBE getting your game on their release stream - discoverable for what, like, 3 days maybe?), and then having to PAY for advertisements on the App Store on top the 30%... That is killing developers. 
    Do you know how much devs are SPENDING and risking before that game launches? Do you have any idea about the economics of it all? I guess you don’t. 
    Well, I do, I have released over 40 games on the App Store - both licensed IP’s and games for marketing purposes, some successful and some not, and I can tell you the App Store today is a shit show because of the sheer amount of content. 
    Top tier earners keep earning because they BUY their users with their earnings. Hundreds thousands per day. You have no chance of turning the tides in your favor. It’s a mess.

As a developer myself, admittedly not for games, I’m very familiar with the problems the App Store has for developers, and the thousands of dollars it takes to build an app that will attract buyers. But to promote that this “battle” between Epic and Apple will help us is disingenuous.

1. Epic want to have their own store on iOS.
    2. Epic want to have their own store on iPadOS.
    3. Epic want to have their own store on tvOS.

Thats it.

Epic don’t care about the 30% fee level, which for us is the bigger concern as it strips away a large chunk of our margin. They also don’t care about the additional ad spend we feel we have to do to promote our apps in the App Store as they charge for the same thing in their store.

This Epic vs Apple battle will not help us until it transitions to the fee level which, I agree with you, is probably a little high now given the changes in the marketplace over the last decade. But we signed up to the terms knowing full well what the cost was going to be so the argument isn’t a legal one.

The argument is an economic one. Can we take our apps out of the App Store and survive on non-Apple device revenue? You know, earning our living in a market free-for-all like the Android space is and is how Epic wants the Apple space to be. THAT is how developers force Apple’s hand on the 30% by abandoning the platform, but it won’t happen.

My revenue/profit stream mix may not be reflective of yours (or any other developers) and it is definitely not like Epics, but the App Store distribution is close to 65% of my revenue, and 80% of my profits. I literally can not afford not to be in the App Store with its 30/15 fee as I don’t have the time or resource depth to build out myself what I get for being in the App Store. Having more stores may create market forces to bring the headline fee cut down, but there are other costs you get hit with that mean the overall costs for each platform or store distribution channel are far higher than the headline price appears.

I’d rather focus my limited time (being a developer is not my main job) improving my apps rather than building out distribution and payment systems I’m afraid.

But that is just my own opinion based on my own situation and Epics push for an open free-for-all space in the Apple iOS based platform is not one that will help me at all.

I would like to give you both a like and informative at the same time, I have been waiting for this kind of response from a developer so here is your like and informative from me....
    aderuttern2itivguyDogpersoncornchippscooter63headfull0winewatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 46 of 107
    I wonder what Epic is thinking...
    I get they are frustrated with the 30% “Apple Tax” but their actions make no sense.

I'm thinking that for them, they can only win.   They can't lose:
    Their game is to break down the walls of the walled garden.  
    -- If they succeed then they win
    -- if they don't succeed then they go back to obeying the rules -- and have lost very little (but gained a bunch of free publicity!)

It's only a matter of time before Apple releases a mature Gaming Engine/Environment to leverage the hoard of new Metal based APIs that will be optimized for Afterburner and the DSP/FPGA assets being built into their forthcoming motherboards for Macbook/Macbook Pro/Mac Mini, MacBook Air, never mind the iMac and a future iMac Pro and the eventual Mac Pro line.

You're really quite stuck on this 'keep skin-scalding PC tech in the Mac' thing aren't you? :-)

Apple is chasing high performance, low-heat, low-power.

I'm not sure  that 1 out 3 is going to do it for them.

edited August 2020 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 107
    Predictions for the future based on absolutely nothing.
    ========================================

Apple will continue to push Battle Royale as the original that runs everywhere.

Epic will continue to sulk.

Apple will lose zero sales (no one buys an iPhone for one single game)

Epic will lose the 70% it could have earned, but it won't amount to very much (no one buys an iPhone to play Fortnite)

In six months time, Epic will sue Apple for poaching people working on the Unreal Engine. It will then launch a campaign game featuring nerds running around a landscape, murdering each other while trying to avoid being eaten by massive zombie Apple logos. Fornite (Basement Dwellers Edition) is a huge success

Apple sues for illegal use of their logo.

Epic loses the poaching suit.

Apple loses the logo suit.

WWDC 2022, Apple gives developers the first look at the at its Arcade Engine. It's a full development kit that looks a lot like the Unreal Engine with VR support.

Epic sues Apple over the Arcade Engine.

In a rare moment of brilliance, Apple's legal team reminds the judge that you cannot copyright an idea:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/pubg-sues-fortnite-copyright-infringement

The judge tells Apple not to law-splain stuff, and throws out the case.

Apple misses the Christmas deadline to get the Arcade Engine out to users. Half a dozen eagerly awaited games miss the holiday season.

Apple gets the engine out for February.

An unknown blogger shows screenshots of something called the Arcade Portal, he claims its an app that runs on Windows and Android that allows users to stream games from Apple Arcade.

The internet loses its collective shit. 

Apple's legal department is expanded to the size of a small country in preparation for the six thousand lawsuits launched in a single day.

Epic releases the FortnitePhone, and buys a tract of land for use as future landfill.

edited August 2020 aderutterIreneWbestkeptsecrettmaykurai_kagewatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 48 of 107
    killroy said:
    I get they are frustrated with the 30% “Apple Tax” but their actions make no sense.

-- if they don't succeed then they go back to obeying the rules -- and have lost very little (but gained a bunch of free publicity!)

But they look like fools for starting this mess.
    Or...during their absence in the App Store another game comes along such as Fall Guy, and Fortnite becomes a has been game that kids stop playing.
    cornchiplolliverkurai_kageheadfull0winewatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 107
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Naiyas said:
    Beats said:
    Quench,  so you believe that Apple owns a piece of all revenues from anything on their devices?

wasnt that way with Macs and ought not be a walled garden with a 30% Apple tax.   iPads and phones ought not be so locked down,  it is anti consumer 

quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!

If that's an "Apple Tax" then let's be fair.

Wal-Mart Tax
    Amazon Tax
    Nintendo Tax
    Microsoft Tax
    Target Tax
    Home Depot Tax
    Kroger Tax
    Best Buy Tax

So stupid.
    Don’t forget the Epic Tax in their own store!

I will next time someone mentions it. Feel free to use this reply also.

I hate how Apple is targeted often for things 99% of the industry does.
    Dogpersoncornchippscooter63uraharalolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 107
    And you don’t think Apple is greedy? Charging 500% of the retail price for storage in your new iMac, or soldering the SSD in your motherboard because then you’ll buy a new iMac sooner when it dies?
    sooner when it dies?

My 6 year old iMac with 32 GB ram is running off a variety off external SSDs with a choice of OS, currently Catalina. The internal fusion drive died and I could replace it but it’s so easy to just run off external drives, same applies to any Mac with a soldered SSD. No big deal. Every Mac I have owned has lasted at least 7 years before I sold and replaced it. This 6 year old iMac has years left in it. 

I gave my son my 6 year old MBP and it’s crazy how he and it runs rings around all his mates windows laptops when they are playing video games together. It’s an old i7 chip in it with a shop bought 6+ year old SSD, gets more gaming use than the PS4.

Oh and nobody except large corporations pays Apple RAM prices, Apple don’t price RAM so high to make money, they don’t really want that side of the business but if you have money to waste they’ll take it, so would I.

I have bought a 1st gen Mac every time the platform changed, oxo to ppc to intel. Every device has worked flawless for it’s entire life. 

If you’re too poor to buy a Mac that will last you as long as you want, then buy a cheaper less-luxury brand, such as a Dell. That way you can change the SSD every year lol
    lolliverwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 51 of 107
    killroykillroy Posts: 275member
    joguide said:
    killroy said:

But they look like fools for starting this mess.
    Or...during their absence in the App Store another game comes along such as Fall Guy, and Fortnite becomes a has been game that kids stop playing.

The funny thing is PUGB Mobile is made using Epic Games' Unreal Engine  That's because the people that put PUGB owns 40% of EPIC games.
    edited August 2020 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 107
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Rayz2016 said:

It's only a matter of time before Apple releases a mature Gaming Engine/Environment to leverage the hoard of new Metal based APIs that will be optimized for Afterburner and the DSP/FPGA assets being built into their forthcoming motherboards for Macbook/Macbook Pro/Mac Mini, MacBook Air, never mind the iMac and a future iMac Pro and the eventual Mac Pro line.

You're really quite stuck on this 'keep skin-scalding PC tech in the Mac' thing aren't you? :-)

Apple is chasing high performance, low-heat, low-power.

I'm not sure  that 1 out 3 is going to do it for them.

Your lack of understanding how Apple is going to design their new Motherboards and subsystems is severely obvious. Apple will achieve today's performance at 20-30% less power consumption in three years or less. Not because the CPU design, but because the offloading of the vast majority of the asset production with their built-in FPGA subsystems. If you understand the actual power of the new Mac Pro--Afterburner you'd realize how much of an impact its offspring will have moving forward.
    DogpersonStrangeDayscornchipunsui_greptmayGG1watto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 53 of 107
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sbwolves said:

quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!

If Apple was the only game in town...the only devices...the only apps and only app store...you might have a point.

Apple deserves whatever fees it sets...and people are willing to pay. There will always be people...like you I assume...who want everything free. But nothing is free...nothing. When you use a google product, where much is touted as 'free' they make their money off selling all your information to advertisers. You must know this by now. 
    So many people, and you may be one, really don't understand Google does not sell your information. They don't. What they are is an intermediary between consumers and advertisers. A company like Apple chooses the audience they want to market to, and Google matches an anonymized basket of Advertising ID's to place those ads in front of.  The data never leaves Google, nor are your name or address or any other private information ever exposed to the advertiser.

If Google did as you thought they did I too would have a serious issue with it. That's why I refuse to update credit information for a card provider O already deal with because credit bureaus sell information to companies that aren't even offering you credit. I also don't use rewards cards because that transaction data is sold to assorted data aggregators.

I do what I can to make sure any personal information I decide to share remains with the entity I chose to share it with, not passed on to another party. I trust Google not to sell my data on to others. I don't have the same trust in credit providers and credit bureaus, banks, insurers, stores, or pharmacies.
    edited August 2020 muthuk_vanalingamrazmatazpscooter63dewmeuraharaGG1
  • Reply 54 of 107
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    Apple should upload their own version of Fortnite, where in-app purchases are discounted by 70% and Apple keeps it all. It’s hard to argue that it wouldn’t be even better than the 30% “discount” Epic wants to offer, right? Much better for consumers. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 107
    viclauyyc said:

Because their iOS revenue is low enough, and there is more of a monopoly on the mobile space. Fighting consoles this way would end Epic as a company - suicide.
    Once/if they win this fight, console companies might be next. 
    edited August 2020 lolliverheadfull0winekillroy
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Apple's statement isn't forthright. They chose to terminate Epic's account; they didn't *have* to.

Hahaha, I’m sorry but this is perfect to both sides

”Epic’s statement isn’t forthright. They chose to violate Apple’s developer TOS; they didn’t *have* to”

I’m glad I’ve played only a little of Epic’s games over the years, never found them that “epic”.

Tim Sweeney is losing even more respect daily (not that he seemed to have much before). 
    edited August 2020 StrangeDaysroundaboutnowuraharawatto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 57 of 107
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    Epic is trying to use bully tactics to steal lunch money from the toughest guy ever by school. So they got sent home with a black eye instead. 

Look, epic has for a long time had the best game engine in town. Unreal just keeps getting better. The nearest competitor, CryEngine, has become a distant competitor. Now, with Unteal Emgine 5, Epic has really ensured that their engine is the best there is for a long time. It’s insane what they are doing with lighting and geometry with full rates. Really doing things that no one else has done. And it pays off in massive ways. 

Fortnite is not that. It’s a cash grab throwaway kind of game that is fun for some. But ultimately, no big loss. 

Unreal Engine is the big deal. 

And Epic’s engine is what makes them a big hit in gaming. The games they make are ok. Fortnite is really their big hit now. It was Unreal Tournament years back. 

But now matter how popular you are, you still have to pay what you owe. Epic wanted to sell on the App Store, so they were told the terms to do so, they thought it was a good move and signed up. 

Now they want to get greedy and steal. And if their partners don’t like them stealing, then they will bully and harass and defame. 

There is a word for this in brick and mortar business. It’s called EXTORTION. 

Epic needs to be very very careful to quickly take down their clever 1984 commercial and remove messages they sent to Fortnite players blaming Apple   For their folly. And then they need to either pay Apple the 30% or choose to lose business and move on - minus the defamation. 

Only in current history can such a popular public entity Blame their own criminal behavior on someone else and actually have some believe it. 

This is quite plainly extortion and quite plainly should be judge swiftly and heavily. 

If epic didn’t like the contract anymore, they could just leave. 

But no. They wanted to steal. Still have the benefit of Apples labor but not pay them what they were owed. 

Then instead of apologizing or making it right, they use this rift (that they created) in creating a court case to try to force Apple to accept the theft and even change their business model. 

Then they ripped off Apples own 1984 ad but making Apple the bad guy. Then they even hosted anti apple game events. 

Then they sent messages to their customers blaming Apple for Not being a victim from their own criminal act. 

This is tantamount to applying Popular pressure And defamation in order to pressure Apple to give in to Epics demands. 

That’s extortion folks. 

It’s wrong, shouldn’t be tolerated for one second, and needs to be swiftly put down. 

If Epic wants to survive as a company, how about do t distort in broad daylight. 

Apple should countersue - especially since the whole thing was obviously planned for a long time. CGI or game engine commercials aren’t that easy to create. The speed of the suit, which isn’t that easy to prepare, and game events - which cost a lot of money to create - I mean seriously. 

This is extortion via defamation. Frankly I’m shocked to see it so brazenly done by people who definitely know better. 

And a strong precedent needs to be set that this will not be tolerated. 
    edited August 2020 chadbagpscooter63GG1kurai_kagewatto_cobrakillroyDetnator
  • Reply 58 of 107
    CheeseFreeze said: Once/if they win this fight, console companies might be next. 
    There wouldn't be any "might" about it. There isn't a way for the courts to say the App Store is a monopoly without it also applying to consoles. The problem for Epic is that all the legal precedents point in the opposite direction. Nintendo won a lawsuit decades ago that was related to being the sole gatekeeper for software on their own hardware. Apple won a lawsuit against Psystar that related to whether or not controlling the OS on your own hardware constituted a monopoly. 
    edited August 2020 9secondkox2dysamoriapscooter63dewmeuraharalolliverwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 59 of 107
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    d_2 said:
    My wife sells wholesale goods to retailers. With Epic’s logic, she should take her products, walk in to her favorite large retailer (WalMart), setup a table or two, and start selling direct.

Sure, that would work great.

/s
    Likewise, I had a company wholesaling a retail good to national retailers. Both the retailer and the distributor added margins to the product, in higher amounts than I made on the good as its creator. That’s just how retail works. 
    dysamorialolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 107
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!

My Mac is 7 years old and still running strong. I bought my memory after the fact. I Have an external drive. People can upgrade the OS in their Macs quite easily. Windows users just buy new PCs. 

StrangeDaysroundaboutnowbaconstanglolliverwatto_cobraDetnator