Mark Zuckerberg claims Apple's App Store charges 'monopoly rents,' stifles innovation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    So a company worth almost $850bn is complaining Apple is restricting their ability to make money. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 68
    larryjw said:
    quench said:
    So Facebook, you deny conservatives a voice on your platform, deleted countless positive posts about President Trump. 
    Facebook you are dishonorable for silencing a large portion of the country because you disagree with conservative values.
    Rot in hell!
    What? I get plenty of posts. by conservatives praising Trump. 

Plenty of conservative values being displayed. 

If only FB would have stepped up to bat when Twitter and the likes took to tagging Trump's conspiratorial bullshit - it (Zuck) might have had some legs here. But instead, he let the invasion of the election snatchers have a free pass until recently when they, after many many months, came out with a bullet-pointed directive detailing the steps they were taking to avoid election fraud. Will we ever really know if these were just PR words or concrete actions. Zuck's actions in the past would lead me to believe……NO! 

Certainly, conservatives and progressives should be able to post their beliefs unless they promote violent agendas, including baseless conspiracy theories the Administration lives for. In the words of our Dictator and Theif, "there are good people on both sides". Zuck really needs to get his own house in order before piling on a competitor who's trying to keep its customers safe. If you're listening, the same goes for the other self-motivated companies like Microsoft, Epic, Oracle, etc. The diffusional tactics of these companies keep the heat off these nefarious Tech Mobsters!  
    GeorgeBMacdysamoriaDogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 68
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple is stifling innovation?   Really?
    Wasn't it Zuckerberg who lobbied Trump to shut down social media platforms from China (like TikTok) that were overtaking Facebook?

Zuckerberg needs to understand that if you have to use political means to stifle your competitors it means you can neither innovate nor compete.    It means you are weak.
    dysamoriaDogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 68
    larryjw said:
    quench said:
    So Facebook, you deny conservatives a voice on your platform, deleted countless positive posts about President Trump. 
    Facebook you are dishonorable for silencing a large portion of the country because you disagree with conservative values.
    Rot in hell!

Yes, Zuckerberg has refused to flag or delete Trump ads that have been flagged by Facebook's own fact checkers to be false, misleading and dangerous lies.
    I guess it worked so well in 2016 for Trump and Putin that they're trying it again :   Smear the competition by telling the lies so often and so loudly that they become true....  
    williamlondondysamoriaDogpersonmontrosemacs
  • Reply 45 of 68
    chadbag said:
    esteban said:
    We knew this narrative would be coming because iOS will ding their ad revenue, as others pointed out.
    The timing however, seems deflection from FB's failure to apply their own standards, which helped lead to a 17 year old crossing state lines illegally with a rifle, and killing 2 and maiming 1, in Kenosha.
    Please keep your misinformation to yourself.  There is nothing illegal about crossing state lines with a rifle.  All evidence (and there is plenty of it in video, photos, and pre-incident interviews) to show the above to not be true.  He was there with a med kit and had been helping treat everyone including rioters.  He was interviewed that evening at least once.  He defended himself against rioters and vandals who were trying to kill him and he tried to avoid problems by retreating. He fell and the guy who was maimed assaulted him with a pistol in hand.  One of the guys killed chased him and assaulted him with a skateboard, which can kill the way it was used.   So please keep your misinformation to yourself.  

Bullshit
    foregoneconclusionwilliamlondondysamoriamontrosemacs
  • Reply 46 of 68
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Didn't think I could think less of this mini-me tyrant………………It's like tRump, when you think you've seen him at his lowest, he goes even lower. 
    Your watching too much cnn, this Is appleinsider for apple discussions and not wapo for your political syndrome 

Sorry, but Zuckerberg and "tRump" are joined at the hip.

Zuckergerg helped tRump get elected in 2016 by sponsoring things like Cambridge Analytica and Russian disinformation campaigns.
    Today he is helping tRump get himself re-elected by knowingly running false, misleading lies tRump uses to smear his opponents.
    Meanwhile, at Zuckerberg's request, tRump is suppressing competition Zuckerberg faces from Chinese social media platforms.

It seems to be a partnership.
    dysamoriaDogpersonmontrosemacs
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chadbag said:
    esteban said:
    We knew this narrative would be coming because iOS will ding their ad revenue, as others pointed out.
    The timing however, seems deflection from FB's failure to apply their own standards, which helped lead to a 17 year old crossing state lines illegally with a rifle, and killing 2 and maiming 1, in Kenosha.
    Please keep your misinformation to yourself.  There is nothing illegal about crossing state lines with a rifle.  All evidence (and there is plenty of it in video, photos, and pre-incident interviews) to show the above to not be true.  He was there with a med kit and had been helping treat everyone including rioters.  He was interviewed that evening at least once.  He defended himself against rioters and vandals who were trying to kill him and he tried to avoid problems by retreating. He fell and the guy who was maimed assaulted him with a pistol in hand.  One of the guys killed chased him and assaulted him with a skateboard, which can kill the way it was used.   So please keep your misinformation to yourself.  

Bullshit
    My God, wasn’t it though? That kid was a massacre waiting to happen. 

If Apple had put this feature in five years ago, Facebook would’ve found it harder to target the hard-of-thinking, and the US might not be the open-plan lunatic asylum it is today. 
    edited August 2020 williamlondondysamoriaDogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Since Sweeney and Zuckerberg are treating the desktop/laptop distribution model as being better for consumers, you would expect to see prices for software that are generally lower than on the App Store. The opposite is true. Mobile software prices are generally lower vs desktop/laptop software. There's no compelling monopoly rents argument with that being true. Monopoly rents requires pricing that is way out of line with the prevailing market.
    dysamoriaGeorgeBMacmontrosemacsGG1watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 49 of 68
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    larryjw said:
    quench said:
    Rot in hell!

Yup. I saw it all the time before I stopped logging in there. I’ve been free for over half a year. Not planning to log back in any time soon.
    rotateleftbyteDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Zuck and therefore by Implication Facebook itself are nothing more than drug pushers. Social Media is highly addictive and the designers of FB etc go out of their way to make it like that. The longer the user stays online, the better for them. More data slurped and more ads slung at the poor user.

He's looking at losing a lot of his users with IOS14. Less users means less ads slung and less data slurped. That will hit is bottom line.
    As if the drug baron has seen many of his pushers suddenly disappear.  Good riddance I say.

Just say no to Zuck and Facebook. 
    edited August 2020 dysamoriaDogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 68
    He’s just pissed that iOS 14 cuts his advertising revenue. Poor baby 🍼 
    Dogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Rayz2016 said:
    chadbag said:
    esteban said:

Bullshit

If Apple had put this feature in five years ago, Facebook would’ve found it harder to target the hard-of-thinking, and the US might not be the open-plan lunatic asylum it is today. 
    I liked your comment, but I don’t think the blame can be laid on Facebook quite that much (definitely some!!).

Willful ignorance & self-delusion are an epidemic in the USA. It ties back to childhood indoctrination and lack of quality nurturing. No one is born a monster. No one is born destined to believe BS.

The country needs critical thinking skills classes for all children, starting at year one of all schooling.

Then there are the great many other issues, like poverty, malnutrition, psychological abuses (via family and/or peers, employers, etc), all the people who shouldn’t BE parenting (unwanted children, selfish adults, or just the unready and unprepared), and a general lack of agency felt by most (which is a specific generator of impotent rage).

Our culture and economic system breeds crazies and rewards sociopaths. The internet just gives them a place to go to become radicalized by echo-chambers. Blaming this on Facebook is far too simplistic.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    Thanks Mark. More reason to use iOS device.
    DogpersonmontrosemacsGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 68
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Just trying to get petty revenge because his business model is bullshit.
    montrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 68
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    quench said:
    Rot in hell!
    Rubbish. FB deletes some outright misinformation ... from anyone. Its just so-called "conservatives", or more likely Russian troll-bots who happen to be posting more delete-worthy misinformation than others.
    dysamoriaDogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 68
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    This is not a case of the pot calling the kettle black.  

It's a case of the big, sooty, wood fired witch's cauldron calling the kettle black.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 68
    dysamoria said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    chadbag said:
    esteban said:

Bullshit

I liked your comment, but I don’t think the blame can be laid on Facebook quite that much (definitely some!!).

Willful ignorance & self-delusion are an epidemic in the USA. It ties back to childhood indoctrination and lack of quality nurturing. No one is born a monster. No one is born destined to believe BS.

The country needs critical thinking skills classes for all children, starting at year one of all schooling.

Then there are the great many other issues, like poverty, malnutrition, psychological abuses (via family and/or peers, employers, etc), all the people who shouldn’t BE parenting (unwanted children, selfish adults, or just the unready and unprepared), and a general lack of agency felt by most (which is a specific generator of impotent rage).

Our culture and economic system breeds crazies and rewards sociopaths. The internet just gives them a place to go to become radicalized by echo-chambers. Blaming this on Facebook is far too simplistic.

That is all true.  Very true.   But it's only part of the truth.
    It ignores the impact of propaganda.   Organized, professionally produced propaganda meant to push an agenda and an ideology.

I remember as a kid wondering how Hitler did it:   How did he persuade an entire nation, millions and millions of people, to not only support him and his evil but to fight and die for it?   It just made no sense to me.

The answer is playing out in front of us here in the USA:   You divide the people into "Us" and "Them".   Then you use hate and fear to get "Us" to attack and oppress "Them".   And today we have a wanna-be dictator backed by a wide spread propaganda machine spreading and propagating that hate and fear.   And Facebook has become an integral part of that propaganda machine:   It enables the propagandists to target specific, narrow groups with tailored, specific propaganda that nobody else can see -- and therefor not contest or refute.   The unemployed, christian laborer in Chicago gets a different set of messages from the Detroit auto worker losing his job to Mexico -- but the messages to both serve the same purpose:   teach them that they have much to hate and fear from "the other"....  
    dysamoria
  • Reply 58 of 68
    loopless said:
    quench said:
    Rot in hell!
    Rubbish. FB deletes some outright misinformation ... from anyone. Its just so-called "conservatives", or more likely Russian troll-bots who happen to be posting more delete-worthy misinformation than others.

True!   Except that Zuckerberg has chosen to not delete or flag misinformation posted in paid political ads.   The policy obviously favors the same politician who is attempting to suppress Zuckerberg's Chinese competition under the excuse of "National Security".
    montrosemacsdysamoria
  • Reply 59 of 68
    dysamoria said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    chadbag said:
    esteban said:

Bullshit

That is all true.  Very true.   But it's only part of the truth.
    It ignores the impact of propaganda.   Organized, professionally produced propaganda meant to push an agenda and an ideology.

I remember as a kid wondering how Hitler did it:   How did he persuade an entire nation, millions and millions of people, to not only support him and his evil but to fight and die for it?   It just made no sense to me.

The answer is playing out in front of us here in the USA:   You divide the people into "Us" and "Them".   Then you use hate and fear to get "Us" to attack and oppress "Them".   And today we have a wanna-be dictator backed by a wide spread propaganda machine spreading and propagating that hate and fear.   And Facebook has become an integral part of that propaganda machine:   It enables the propagandists to target specific, narrow groups with tailored, specific propaganda that nobody else can see -- and therefor not contest or refute.   The unemployed, christian laborer in Chicago gets a different set of messages from the Detroit auto worker losing his job to Mexico -- but the messages to both serve the same purpose:   teach them that they have much to hate and fear from "the other"....  
    I do agree. Propaganda is very dangerous.

So too is the notion that “all ideas deserve to be heard in the marketplace of ideas” or that “all speech should be free”. It’s just equally dangerous to start writing laws about what kinds of speech should be illegal. It’s hard enough to agree on what constitutes “speech which promotes violence”, especially when people feel confident in using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law for their own ends (whether to promote or censor).

Despite “honesty in advertising” laws, we see how much bold lying laissez-faire capitalism still does regularly... as well as shaky definitions for “studies” and “data” by entirely biased and corrupt corporate entities with every motive to lie with their “data”.

i want to live in a world guided & shaped by demonstrable facts & scientific consensus, but there are so many people who are all too eager to defeat and destroy every and any rational system merely to further their own personal interests.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Facebook’s ability to target specific people was one of the major reasons Trump was able to target idiots with cynical messages that would appeal to them (which also weren’t true) in 2016. So in some ways, you could say that Facebook is in large part responsible for Covid spreading not just in the US but around the world. 

Kinda makes the protections in iOS 14 sound like a great idea. 
    GeorgeBMacDogpersonmontrosemacsdysamoriawatto_cobra