Dark blue 'iPhone 12' could help Apple sell up to 68 million 5G models in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
A new research forecast estimates that Apple will sell between 63 million and 68 million "iPhone 12" units before the end of the year, and the forecast's researchers believe there will be a dark blue model.

Concept based on CAD images from EverythingApplePro
Concept based on CAD images from EverythingApplePro

Following previous reports of "iPhone 12" orders being cut in 2020 because of late shipping, a new forecast predicts that Apple will sell between 63 million and 68 million phones. Given that Apple doesn't report sales volumes, similar numbers from the supply chain for the iPhone 11, suggest that this is five million units less year-over-year.

The research is from Digitimes, which says that Apple's figures will be down because of up to a 6 week delay in the release of the "iPhone 12." Apple has already confirmed that the launch will be a few weeks behind schedule because of coronavirus-induced production issues.

However, Digitimes expects that reduced sales may not just be made up with increased ones in early 2021. It says that extra unemployment benefits from the US government may affect purchasing of iPhones.

Plus it cautions that if WeChat is banned from the Chinese App Store, iPhone shipments in total will fall almost 10%.

Digitimes has a poor record for predicting Apple's products, however it has a much stronger track record for data involving sources within the supply chain. Alongside the shipment forecast figures, Digitimes is reporting that Apple will introduce a dark blue color to the "iPhone 12" range for the first time.

This backs up a rumor from January 2020 which said a dark blue version may be available. That prior report claimed that the color would be limited to the higher-end "iPhone 12" models. Rumors about a dark blue color coming to the iPhone have circulated since the iPhone 7.

Apple has previously introduced new colors and limited them to certain models. The most prominent of these was Midnight Green on the iPhone 11 Pro. Apple credited Japan's Seiko Advance for the ability to add that particular color.

The "iPhone 12" launch is may still be held in September, even if actual shipping of the models may be some weeks later than usual. However, leakers have given various claims, seeing it happening on either September 8 or October 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    How many people here have 5G right now?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 48
    iPhone 12 5.4” in dark blue iPhone color is mine! :) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    People like gold color like gray/black and white.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 4 of 48
    How are Android 5G smartphones selling? Around this time last year there was much angst written by AppleInsider that iPhone 11 would not have 5G, Apple would be one or more years behind Android smartphones, Apple would have to play catch up, Apple could lose customers to Android who want 5G. A year later there is barely any mention of Android 5G much less 5G. 
    StrangeDaystmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Here in the UK unless you live in or near a major city there is no 5G, so for most of us 5G is irrelevant.
    StrangeDaysargonautMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    Don’t forget’iPhone 12’ will be relevant until 2025
    Beats
  • Reply 7 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Here in the UK unless you live in or near a major city there is no 5G, so for most of us 5G is irrelevant T O D A Y !.
    Finished that for you....

So, how long do you intend to keep your phone?   And, do you intend to get any kind of resale on it when you do upgrade?
    Buying an LTE phone today is like buying a buggy whip 100 years ago....

• Reply 8 of 48
    Here in the UK unless you live in or near a major city there is no 5G, so for most of us 5G is irrelevant T O D A Y !.

So, how long do you intend to keep your phone?   And, do you intend to get any kind of resale on it when you do upgrade?

Hyperbole does your argument no favors.  5G phones without proper 5G access (majority of phone owners) is the proverbial cart before the horse.  What good is a current 5G phone right now? We know 1. the tech is going to evolve and get better and 2. the infrastructure is also going to evolve and get better.  Buying an LTE phone today is no more detrimental than buying an LTE phone a year ago.  All 5G capable phones, are going to fall back to LTE network when the 5G network is unavailable.  Similar to how our LTE fall back to 3G when LTE access isn't possible.  mmWave and sub6 5G technology are still in their infancy.  Being an early adopter simply means being an early adopter.  There probably won't be any practical advantages of 5G for quite some time.
    StrangeDaystmayargonautbeowulfschmidtMplsP
  • Reply 9 of 48
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol
    StrangeDaystmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 48

Hyperbole does your argument no favors.  5G phones without proper 5G access (majority of phone owners) is the proverbial cart before the horse.  What good is a current 5G phone right now? We know 1. the tech is going to evolve and get better and 2. the infrastructure is also going to evolve and get better.  Buying an LTE phone today is no more detrimental than buying an LTE phone a year ago.  All 5G capable phones, are going to fall back to LTE network when the 5G network is unavailable.  Similar to how our LTE fall back to 3G when LTE access isn't possible.  mmWave and sub6 5G technology are still in their infancy.  Being an early adopter simply means being an early adopter.  There probably won't be any practical advantages of 5G for quite some time.
    Not to mention, I’ve yet to see any practical advantages of 5G on a cell phone. Other than some potential download/upload speed increases I don’t understand why people think having a 5G phone is going to be so amazing. 
    StrangeDaysapplguybeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 48

LOL...  WHAT hyperbole?   Geez!
    And, you ignored my argument and simply went on a rant restating what I had just discredited.   Specifically:   few people spend a thousand dollars on a phone and only expect to keep it a year -- not have to worry about resale value.

But, I give you credit:  you did, in the end, try to walk your original statement back a bit when you said (incorrectly) that 5G won't be available "for quite some time".
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:

Most -- if you live in China or South Korea.   Here, we are more concerned about blocking China than upgrading to the future.
  • Reply 13 of 48

Not to mention, I’ve yet to see any practical advantages of 5G on a cell phone. Other than some potential download/upload speed increases I don’t understand why people think having a 5G phone is going to be so amazing. 

Still enjoying your 3G flip phone?   People said the same about 4G.   "Who needs it?"   "What will you do with it that you can't do right now?"

Advances in communications technology have driven most of how computing has changed our lives.
  • Reply 14 of 48

Still enjoying your 3G flip phone?   People said the same about 4G.   "Who needs it?"   "What will you do with it that you can't do right now?"

Advances in communications technology have driven most of how computing has changed our lives.
    Tell me what my LTE phone does that was not possible on 3G. Then tell me what the people with 5G phones can do that my LTE phone can’t. Thanks!
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Hyperbolic exaggeration. The reality is LTE is fast enough for what most people are going to use it for in the foreseeable future -- browsing FaceBook on the bus. All the fantastical stories of robotic VR surgeries controlled via 5G are just science-fiction pie in the sky silliness. It doesn't matter that much, and won't for most people for the life of even a new 2020 iPhone. 
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48

And, you ignored my argument and simply went on a rant restating what I had just discredited.   Specifically:   few people spend a thousand dollars on a phone and only expect to keep it a year -- not have to worry about resale value.

But, I give you credit:  you did, in the end, try to walk your original statement back a bit when you said (incorrectly) that 5G won't be available "for quite some time".
    Your hyperbole was obvious and requires no explanation.

Now you have more -- the non-Pro iPhone, the normal one, is $700 & 750 and I'm betting more popular than the high-end or Pro configurations so not a $1000. And the normal lifespan of the device is as it's always been, 2-years, not one, based on the payment plans and upgrade offers from carriers and Apple. Likely even longer for people not really into phones. 

There probably won't be any practical advantage to a 5G handset for normal use cases for quite some time. No idea what you're on about. Maybe because 5G is pushed by state-funded Chinese manufacturers you're big on it too? Don't know, don't care.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48

Rayz2016 said:

Most -- if you live in China or South Korea.   Here, we are more concerned about blocking China than upgrading to the future.
    So not most. We aren't speaking Chinese, are we?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48

No, nobody said that. Edge and 3G were slow for expected use cases -- including surfing the web, which was a common use case even for normals. It was slow. LTE isn't like that, it is as fast or faster than the high-speed internet some people have at home. It still fulfills its purpose for common, expected use cases quite well. 
    edited August 2020 ihatescreennamesMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48

Nowhere in my comment did I say 5G won't be available for quite some time.  You simply misunderstood what you read.  Try reading it again.  You still won't find I said anything like that. Your comment was over the top. Hyperbolic.  Unsure what you think you discredited, but nothing in that quote discredits anything.  
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:

Jesus! Give it a rest, man. At least spare unrelated threads.
    MplsPStrangeDaysgatorguytmaywatto_cobra