T68is + Powerbook

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I believe I read somewhere that I can use my t68i to essentially dial-up my laptop so I can go online where no landline is available.

Is this true, and if so how would I go about accomplishing it?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    First you need a Bluetooth adaptor.

When you plug the adaptor in, Mac OS X will recognize it and a new Bluetooth icon will appear in System Preferences. Click to open it.

Then click on Set up new Device and follow the steps on the Wizard/Assistant.

You will need to go into Connect > Bluetooth > Discoverable on your phone so that they can see each other.

At a certain point it will ask you if you want to connect to the net through the phone, simply leave the checkbox checked.

You will then have a new entry in System Preferences > Network for a USB Bluetooth Modem Adaptor in the same place you have Airport, Built-in Ethernet, and Internal Modem currently.

Generally easy-peasy, though I haven't done it myself. I only use Bluetooth to sync the contacts with my T86i.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    How fast or slow is the connection via bluetooth cell connection. I would assume it would be slower than a traditional dial-up. Anyone tried it yet?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

How fast or slow is the connection via bluetooth cell connection. I would assume it would be slower than a traditional dial-up. Anyone tried it yet?

When i bought my x1 enabled Kyocera 2255 (i would not recomend this phone to anyone) the sales person said that bell's x1 standard was faster than traditional 56k modems. I'm not sure if the SE phones use a similar connection, but if they do, the connection could be faster than a modem.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

I've been able to get 28 000 on hi-speed GSM, but theoretically it can go higher...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    I've used mine to dial-up using bluetooth, worked perfectly first time!

I then got my supplier (VodaFone UK) to set up GPRS on my account.

This was wierd! the reception changes seperatly and must use different masts than the voice signal as it has it's own strength bar on the display.

Anyway they couldn't help me with connecting wioth the mac but did give me the address of a website with all the details on, it's actually hosted by a guy I got a PowerBook Duo from a few years back!

here it is: http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Enjoy!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

I've used mine to dial-up using bluetooth, worked perfectly first time!

I then got my supplier (VodaFone UK) to set up GPRS on my account.

This was wierd! the reception changes seperatly and must use different masts than the voice signal as it has it's own strength bar on the display.

Anyway they couldn't help me with connecting wioth the mac but did give me the address of a website with all the details on, it's actually hosted by a guy I got a PowerBook Duo from a few years back!

here it is: http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Enjoy!

robster, i had no problems setting up GPRS, but i can't make dialup to work.

Which modem driver are u uisng?

Anything special? (some prefixes before ISP #?)

I always get no carrier msg, the phone dials the number, but disconnects without establishing connection with an ISP (about 3 seconds)

I turned off echo packets and all compression, etc, and still no carrier.

Maybe my carrier does not support it?

I called them, but these guys are bunch of monkeys. i was told that there is no way to connect over GPRS and bluetooth is not supported at all. not to mention macs...

So, any pointers?

Thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

So, any pointers?

Thanks!

What carrier do you use? Did you see the page with all the settings listed for different carriers/countries?

Also remember to turn bluetooth on on the Mac and the phone
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

What carrier do you use? Did you see the page with all the settings listed for different carriers/countries?

Also remember to turn bluetooth on on the Mac and the phone

robster, i'm using Rogers AT&T in Canada.

This page you are reffering to is for GPRS access, and i want DIALUP :-)

And yes bluetooth is on (it starts dialing the #... then disconnects)

What are your settings for dialup?

Thanks, robster i appreciate it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

robster, i'm using Rogers AT&T in Canada.

This page you are reffering to is for GPRS access, and i want DIALUP :-)

And yes bluetooth is on (it starts dialing the #... then disconnects)

What are your settings for dialup?

Thanks, robster i appreciate it.

aaah I understand, hang on looking now...

Ok:

In Sys Prefs/Network:

I enabled the USB Bluetooth Modem then set it up....

TCP/IP - Using PPP

PPP - Normal username and password stuff, there's no # in UK dialups though...

Bluetooth Modem - either Ericsson Infrared (GSM) or Ericsson GPRS CID2

Then just open up Internet Connect on and off we go...
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

aaah I understand, hang on looking now...

Ok:

In Sys Prefs/Network:

I enabled the USB Bluetooth Modem then set it up....

TCP/IP - Using PPP

PPP - Normal username and password stuff, there's no # in UK dialups though...

Bluetooth Modem - either Ericsson Infrared (GSM) or Ericsson GPRS CID2

Then just open up Internet Connect on and off we go...

Thanks,

Q: What do u mean there are no dialup # in UK?

i tried infrared modem, and still no go, using Ericsson GPRS CID2 (CID5 in my case) = going through GPRS.

I guess my carrier does not support dialup (slower, but oh sooo much cheaper)

...bastards

Thanks again robster!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Thanks,

Q: What do u mean there are no dialup # in UK?

i tried infrared modem, and still no go, using Ericsson GPRS CID2 (CID5 in my case) = going through GPRS.

I guess my carrier does not support dialup (slower, but oh sooo much cheaper)

...bastards

Thanks again robster!

Sorry you've had no luck, I'll wrtie out a fuller description of how I set it up later and post here for you.

A. UK phone numbers do not use the '#' charachter in them anywhere even for data or international calls.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    piwozniak

have you had any luck connecting?

I'm having the same problem, the phone will 'connect' for a few seconds, but then it just quits and I'm completely lost as to why it does this.

I have AT&T wireless with national coverage, so I'm thinking maybe AT&T won't support it?

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

the '#' character

I believe he's using that as shorthand for 'number' (i.e. phone # = phone number, or "I'm #1 so why try harder?") rather than as a literal character.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

piwozniak

have you had any luck connecting?

I'm having the same problem, the phone will 'connect' for a few seconds, but then it just quits and I'm completely lost as to why it does this.

I have AT&T wireless with national coverage, so I'm thinking maybe AT&T won't support it?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi

I CAN connect through GPRS, no problems there, its fast and works great, but.... its expensive.

You got 1.5 MB for $20 i think... then there's 10mb for $50 (unlimited for first 6 months), and up it goes to around $100 for 50MB.

I tried everything to connect through my ISP but i really think Rogers is not supporting it.

It's slower, but way cheaper, and if all you need is to check your e-mail that would be nice.

Like i said GPRS works like a charm, so i just have to convince my boss to pay extra $50 on top of my cell bill :-)
  • Reply 16 of 17
    anyone been able to do this yet? I'm very curious as to if it will actually work.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 17 of 17
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

anyone been able to do this yet? I'm very curious as to if it will actually work.

Cheers,

Dan

Yeah, me too. I've got a T68i and love to be able to use it as a non-GPRS modem. The docs say that it can be used like this, just not how to do it.