Apple TV with faster processor, 'Find My Remote' tech could launch in 2021

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2020
Apple is reportedly working on a next-generation Apple TV device that incorporates a novel remote control location feature similar to the company's Find My hardware technology.

Apple TV 4K

According to Bloomberg, the new Apple TV will benefit from a faster processor designed to improve the gaming experience.

In addition to beefier silicon, the set-top box is expected to ship with a new feature that helps users find the accompanying remote control. Described as similar to Find My iPhone, the function could in theory enable location of the accessory through sound or vibratory alerts. Alternatively, the feature might integrate a form of Apple's rumored "AirTags" location tracking technology that uses UWB signals to locate Tile-like devices in augmented reality.

Apple last updated its Apple TV platform with Apple TV 4K in 2017. The current hardware is powered by an A10X Fusion chip for streaming high-resolution content and playing basic games. Current storage capacities are locked in at 32GB and 64GB, while the included Siri Remote controls the streamer through both physical touch and voice commands.

Today's report fails to offer specifics on the coming hardware, though it does say the device could launch in 2021. Previous rumors support the claims, with leaker Jon Prosser in August saying the device will be powered by an A12Z chip and feature a new controller. Apple is also said to be working on a first-party gaming controller to support Apple Arcade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    A12 Apple TV with basic Find My features to come in 2025.

I'm starting to lose hope. Apple needs to update this soon.
    kkqd1337lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    How on earth would you trigger the find my remote when all the buttons are on the remote?  Might there be a button or some sort of UI on the next Apple TV?

Also, being able to find the remote is just about the least of all the problems I have with the remote.  I hope that isn't the only thing they're adding.
    gregoriusmdysamoriaAlex1Nlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 56
    2021 = A14X. That's the way I would look at it. iPad Pro gets A14X first and then ATV, similar to how the A10X rolled out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 56
    A new Apple TV without a facetime implementation is just a facelift at the best. 
    DaRevBeatsGeorgeBMacJaphey
  • Reply 5 of 56
    crowley said:
    Also, being able to find the remote is just about the least of all the problems I have with the remote.  I hope that isn't the only thing they're adding.
    This.

Of course, for me, finding my Apple TV remote is the easiest thing ever.  It's in the drawer under the TV with no battery in it, because nobody every uses it.  Everybody in the house uses the Harmony app on their phones or iPads.
    twokatmewmobirdgregoriusmdkhaleyBeatsmariowinco
  • Reply 6 of 56
    crowley said:
    How on earth would you trigger the find my remote when all the buttons are on the remote?  Might there be a button or some sort of UI on the next Apple TV?
    Siri microphone in the ATV?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Apple dipped their toes into the waters and then froze.

It's time they jumped in.  They need a full throated box that:
    -- fully integrate iOS devices with the TV
    -- competes head to head with XBox and Playstation
    -- integrates with a full blown Apple home theater system.

At present, there's little reason for the device to even exist since Apple TV can be integrated into smart TVs without Apple's external box.

Come on Apple!   Take a BIG bite.   Moderation is for monks!
    Beats
  • Reply 8 of 56
    The Find My Remote sounds nice but not sure there is anything else that warrants an upgrade. Maybe the new remote can be purchased separately? Unless the tech is built into the ATV itself. I don’t game on my ATV even though I’m an avid gamer. The game selection is awful (where’s all the console ports I can play in my iOS devices?). 
    gregoriusmdysamoriaBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Apple dipped their toes into the waters and then froze.

It's time they jumped in.  They need a full throated box that:
    -- fully integrate iOS devices with the TV
    -- competes head to head with XBox and Playstation
    -- integrates with a full blown Apple home theater system.

At present, there's little reason for the device to even exist since Apple TV can be integrated into smart TVs without Apple's external box.

Come on Apple!   Take a BIG bite.   Moderation is for monks!
    I don't think Apple is interested in doing a "me too" kind of gaming experience re: Xbox and Playstation. They've made their choice with Apple Arcade and I would expect that to continue to evolve over time. I definitely don't think people should look at year one of Arcade and think that's all they plan to do. 

As for smart TVs, the issue is with both the processors and the OS. Even though the processors are marketed as being upgraded each year, the changes are minor. And the companies that manufacture the TVs artificially limit the OS updates to a limited range of models in order to push people to buy a new TV after a few years. Processors/OS are the scammy area of the TV trade. It's actually better to ignore those aspects and buy a box. 
    mike1twokatmewgregoriusmdysamoriaStrangeDaysBeatslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 56
    crowley said:

Presumably you would use a different Apple device to find your remote, just like you don’t use your lost iPhone to find your lost iPhone. The remote just has to have an embedded “Tile-like” thing in it. 

But I agree with you that the remote has bigger problems. 
    gregoriusmdysamoriarandominternetpersonStrangeDaysBeatsmariowincoAlex1Nlolliverbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    crowley said:

How about any other Apple device?
    pscooter63llamaStrangeDaysBeatsAlex1Nlolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    crowley said:

• Reply 13 of 56
    It's in the drawer under the TV with no battery in it
    Right... no battery in it...  ;)

Also, the Harmony remote/app sucks worse than the real remote, as far as ATV is concerned.  I have three of those myself.  (When is Logitech going to give up Silverlight for the programming app?!)
    supadav03gregoriusmdjames4242dysamoriarandominternetpersonretrogustollamaStrangeDaysBeatslolliver
  • Reply 14 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:

II guess though it seems more than a little bit absurd to have to log on to iCloud to get the remote that's slipped between the sofa cushions to buzz through a speaker/motor that only exists to buzz when it's fallen between the sofa cushions.

Reeks of over engineering, on a product that could really do with some engineering attention to make it functional rather than findable.
    gregoriusmdysamoriaretrogustomariowincoAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 56
    crowley said:

Probably by using your iPhone, Apple Watch, computer or iPad, or HomePod. I would imagine a "Hey Siri, find my Living Room Apple TV remote" would do it.
    gregoriusmmike1BeatsAlex1Nlolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    crowley said:

Using “Find My” on any other device maybe?
    StrangeDaysBeatsAlex1Nlolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 56
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 616member
    My issue with the AppleTV is the remote, which is not friendly. A simple remote without a touchpad on it, like the one for the Nvidia Shield would go a long ways. I have gotten to the point where I only use the AppleTV to view movies purchased from iTunes. For everything else (HBOMax, Disney+, Netflix, etc.) I use the Shield.
    ITGUYINSD
  • Reply 18 of 56
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    crowley said:

If you have an iPhone or HomePod you could just ask Siri to find it. I do it all the time to find where I have dumped my phone.
    StrangeDaysBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    You can tweet this is you want: my sources have confirmed that the Apple TV remote has been completely redone.  Tim Cook reported said "Just change the darn thing. It kinda sucks and I'm really sick of hearing all the whining about it."

So there you go.  Some random person on the internet has just laid some truth on ya.  Look forward to the new Apple TV!
    llamamariowincololliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Forget finding the remote.  I'd just assume it stay lost!  Give us a redesigned remote that has the normal features and buttons every other remote has.

Maneuvering back and forth on a postage stamp-sized, over sensitive touchpad is an exercise in frustration.
    Alex1N