AirPods Pro shipments on the rise, likely to equal AirPods by end of 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's higher-end totally wireless earbuds, the AirPods Pro, will likely see shipment numbers equal to the second-generation AirPods before the end of the year.

Customers have taken notice of the AirPods Pro despite their higher price tag. A better fit, coupled with active noise cancelation, pass-through listening, and adaptive EQ, has helped propel the earphones in popularity.

According to DigiTimes, AirPods Pro shipments will equal that of the updated AirPods by the end of 2020. They note that it is an encouraging development for system-in-package suppliers in Korea and Taiwan.

CounterPoint Research statistics point out that Apple accounted for nearly half of all TWS earbud sales in 2019. While it's true that Apple's share of the market has shrunk in 2020, the market is still expected to grow to 82 million units this year.

AppleInsider reviewed the AirPods Pro, giving them a 4.5 star rating.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo anticipates that Apple will release "AirPods 3" in the first half of 2021. He anticipates that the third-generation will see some significant refreshes, including adopting the SIP technology from the AirPods Pro.

DigiTimes has a good track record reporting on data from within the supply chain, like parts manufacture volumes. It has a notably poor track record reporting on Apple's future plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    The AirPods Pro are great. The audio quality is excellent, the nose cancellation is really good, and the range is impressive, as is the battery life. I'm really looking forward to the spatial audio in iOS 14.

My only issues with them are fitment and reliability. They fall out my ears if I talk or smile - the old Apple in-ear ones always fitted fine. I have replaced one AirPod due to rattling and the second is now beginning to rattle too. Considering the number of reports I've seen of people replacing them, i wouldn't be surprised if there's an eventual repair extension program.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 2 of 3
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    I always preferred the standard shape of the earphones of Apple. I must have a really "standard" ear form because they fit me perfectly. I just purchased the AirPods (2 with standard charging case) and I am delighted.

I understand there must be some technical differences preventing Apple from creating spatial audio in the normal AirPods but I would have really loved it.
    The AirPod Pros with their rubber insert are really not for me. I don't like having to clean them constantly and I have the feeling my ear doesn't breathe.

• Reply 3 of 3
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    imat said:
    I always preferred the standard shape of the earphones of Apple. I must have a really "standard" ear form because they fit me perfectly. I just purchased the AirPods (2 with standard charging case) and I am delighted.

I understand there must be some technical differences preventing Apple from creating spatial audio in the normal AirPods but I would have really loved it.
    The AirPod Pros with their rubber insert are really not for me. I don't like having to clean them constantly and I have the feeling my ear doesn't breathe.

The existing Airpods can't support spatial sound as they have no gyroscope.