Bose Smart Soundbar 300 with AirPlay 2 support up for preorder

Posted:
in General Discussion
Bose has opened up preorders for its Smart Soundbar 300, a mid-tier speaker system for home cinema sound that also includes support for Apple's AirPlay 2.

Following on from the Soundbar 500 and Soundbar 700, the Smart Soundbar 300 is a lower-priced option that offers spacious sound and rich bass, while also building in smart functionality. Packing in four full-range drivers for separate left and right sounds, the soundbar measures just over 2 inches tall, making it slimline while offering a big sound.

As part of its smart functionality, Bose has included support for Apple's AirPlay 2, enabling it to be used to stream audio from iPhones and other Apple ecosystem devices, including the Apple TV 4K. Connecting over WI-Fi and Bluetooth, it also includes support for Spotify Connect, and can work with other Bose speakers independently of AirPlay 2.

This inter-speaker support also includes the Bose Bass Module 500 and the Bose Surround Speakers, which can help turn the soundbar into a bigger home cinema system.

Connecting to the television with HDMI ARC or optical audio cables, the soundbar also pairs with a number of compatible Bose headphones, so audio can be piped through without being played to the rest of the house. It is also controllable via the Bose Music app, which can be used to set up the soundbar and control audio playback though a wide variety of music services.

The soundbar also includes Bose's Voice4Video technology, which allows commands for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant to be heard clearly by the digital assistants. This includes a noise-rejecting mic system that listens in all directions, even with the soundbar playing loudly, though it can also be disabled anytime with the dedicated microphone switch.

Available for preorder with shipments set to commence from September 15, the Bose Smart Soundbar 300 is priced at $399.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Apple should have made a sound bar range like Sonos rather than the HomePod.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 2 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    So lately I've been hearing people talk about Apple acquiring Sonos.

What do ya'll think?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Beats said:

What do ya'll think?
    ... why?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Beats said:

What do ya'll think?
    I don't think they need to purchase Sonos. They have all the sound technology they need with Beats and that billion dollar purchase. Maybe from a user base it could make sense but at what cost.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Beats said:

What do ya'll think?
    It's a rumor based on wishful thinking, that will never happen. And there's no reason for it do to so.

Making a sound bar for TVs they don't make doesn't make much sense. Of course the HomePod, in it's current state, doesn't make much either.

I keep hoping it will get better, as I've got two. I'm glad I didn't pay full retail but still, I don't feel like the HomePod is carrying its weight. Not the thrill yet for me that others seem to be getting.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I've never been a fan of soundbars. While they are better than TV speakers, they don't compare to a surround sound speaker system. 
    I have a moderate setup with a Denon receiver and KEF speakers and it blows the LG soundbar that came with my TV right out of the water.

Bose at least lets you connect to their surround speakers, but the soundbar itself isn't wide enough to give you the separation between the centre, left and right speakers.
    If you can connect separate left and right speakers as well, then the soundbar is reduced to the centre speaker + receiver and it is not as versatile as a dedicated receiver.

So while soundbars are okay to use instead of the built-in TV speakers, at some point it may make more sense to get a surround sound system.