Apple is reinventing eye tracking technology to bring it to 'Apple Glass'

Posted:
in General Discussion
To bring the ability to track where a wearer's gaze and attention are focused, without requiring costly processing or battery-draining performance, Apple is having to develop a whole new system of eye tracking technology for "Apple Glass."

"Apple Glass" may be able to track a user's eyes without the current cumbersome systems

Future Apple AR devices are not going to have any problem figuring out when you've turned your head to the left or right. What's going to be much more difficult is figuring out when your head is stationary but your eyes are moving.

So if an AR device is presenting a book to you, it would be good if it knew when you'd reached the bottom of the page. In a game when you're hunting for treasure, it's going to have to be pretty big treasure unless there's a way for the device to know precisely where your eyes are looking.

"Method and Device for Eye Tracking Using Event Camera Data", a newly revealed patent application, describes the fact that this feature is needed -- but then also what problems it brings. Apple is not reinventing the wheel with eye tracking, but it is trying to make that wheel much smaller.

"[In typical systems," a head-mounted device includes an eye tracking system that determines a gaze direction of a user of the head-mounted device," says Apple. "The eye tracking system often includes a camera that transmits images of the eyes of the user to a processor that performs eye tracking."

"[However, transmission] of the images at a sufficient frame rate to enable eye tracking requires a communication link with substantial bandwidth," continues Apple, "and using such a communication link increases heat generation and power consumption by the head-mounted device."

So current eye-tracking technology would necessarily make the AR device's battery life shorter. Given that there is already a trade off between the lightweight single-device design that Jony Ive wanted and the more powerful two-device system Apple had previously preferred, power is at a premium.

Apple's proposed solution is to cut down on the processing needed to track a user's gaze, and to do that by changing what exactly is tracked. "[One] method includes emitting light with modulating intensity from a plurality of light sources towards an eye of a user," says Apple.

Detail from the patent showing how light may be projected onto an eye and the reflections detected
Detail from the patent showing how light may be projected onto an eye and the reflections detected

"The method includes receiving light intensity data indicative of an intensity of the emitted light reflected by the eye of the user in the form of a plurality of glints," it continues. "The method includes determining an eye tracking characteristic of the user based on the light intensity data."

So while the AR headset can't exactly shine floodlights into a user's eyes, it could project some amount of light. A system would know exactly how much light was used and where it was directed.

"[Then] a plurality of light sensors at a plurality of respective locations [could detect] a change in intensity of light and indicating a particular location of the particular light sensor," says Apple. "The method includes determining an eye tracking characteristic of a user based on the plurality of event messages."

This proposal of using reflected light to calculate gaze is a development of a previous Apple patent to do with using an infrared emitter. Separately, Apple has also previously explored different tracking systems in order to assess a user's eye dominance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Plurality of Glints would be a really bad name for a band.  Always have a chuckle and be amazed by the weird language needed to describe inventions in these patent applications.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I presume Apple’s glasses will be called the iEye. 
    randominternetpersonMisterKitmac daddy zeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Oh, come on!  You give reading a book as an example of why eye tracking would be useful in AR???  That's just about the dumbest application of AR there is - how is reading *augmenting* reality?
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tjwolf said:
    Oh, come on!  You give reading a book as an example of why eye tracking would be useful in AR???  That's just about the dumbest application of AR there is - how is reading *augmenting* reality?
    In the example of a blank notebook (should the user wish to have a physical representation of the book), the words could be imposed on the blank pages. I didn't think that was that hard to imagine...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    It would be nice if Appleinsider stopped displaying the hideous over-hyped Magic Leap glasses every time they report about Apple glasses. I am pretty sure Apple glasses will never look anything like Magic Leap's, which look like a nightmarishvision of some insect eyes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Or iChihuahua.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Some really tight Photoshop work there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    hface119 said:
    tjwolf said:
    In the example of a blank notebook (should the user wish to have a physical representation of the book), the words could be imposed on the blank pages. I didn't think that was that hard to imagine...
    It’s still a bad example. Adjusting artefact resolution based on the gaze to reduce power consumption would be better.  I’m pretty sure NASA & Samsung showed why using gaze to control is a bad idea.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member

Or iChihuahua.
    Or iCaramba!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    mcdave said:
    hface119 said:
    tjwolf said:
    It’s still a bad example. Adjusting artefact resolution based on the gaze to reduce power consumption would be better.  I’m pretty sure NASA & Samsung showed why using gaze to control is a bad idea.
    Ding ding ding! While gaze-based control is probably part of it, gaze tracking is most useful for foveated rendering.

As for the supposed difficulty in lowering the requirements for the gaze tracking, Canon had gaze-based autofocus point selection in the EOS-3 back in 1998. It worked incredibly well using only a low-end camera autofocus processor for the gaze tracking (the actual autofocus used a much nicer processor). This patent is more or less how it worked. Since all of our eyes have slightly different shapes, it requires training for each individual user (and each individual eye if the photographer wants to use both), where you look at a series of flashing elements in the viewfinder and the gaze tracking system records what the reflections look like in that position.

It's actually a lot like Face ID, now that I think about it. The system effectively builds a model of the surface of your eye to tell where the cornea is pointing.
    randominternetpersonfastasleepwatto_cobra