Review: Button Remote for Apple TV makes entertainment simple again

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Good to see this - complaints from the usual suspects here that this device isn’t needed. Device like this IS needed because Apple’s remote is garbage - it was a minimalist design exercise by Jony Ive which eschews accommodating a segment of its presumed intended audience - families. As with everything from Apple, it was also about reducing costs.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    I bought a new 2020 Sony TV this year. Surprisingly, the remote controls the Apple TV very well. I'm finally down to one remote!!!!
    Alex1Nmike1pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Apple remote needs work the track pad is inconsistent and can drive me nuts. You can't zoom into pictures you have on Apple TV. Time for an upgrade. Just needs subtle improvements.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Maybe I'm missing something.  Pretty much any remote on Earth can be programmed to work with AppleTV.  This is worse than any other remote because it can't be used with anything but an AppleTV.  
  • Reply 25 of 39
    For those that want things simplified.    Nothing wrong with that
  • Reply 26 of 39

zroger73 said:
    dewme said:
    I've arrived at a happier place with my Apple TV (4/5 gen) remotes after outfitting them with "elago R1 Intelli Case Compatible with Apple TV" cases.
    +1 on the elago R1 Intelli Case. This is a standard addition for every Apple TV I purchase before I ever turn it on for the first time.
    Yup that’s the one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39

I got used to the Apple remote. I just wish that YT would return to ATV’s native UI components. The UI feels so out of place and is missing that fluid fast scroll
    Yeah I can’t believe Google got rid of fluid scrubbing for their shitty console port. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    DoomFreakDoomFreak Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    This remote works even though my Apple TV is mounted behind my TV!!!!  I am not sure why.  It works just fine.  They must have some sort of IR blaster.  There is not even any delay.  I bought this remote not realizing that it was IR only.  I realized it only after I had ordered it.  I thought I would have to move my streamer from behind the TV, but I thought I would give it a try anyway.  It works just fine.  So I disagree with the comments that say that this cannot be done.  I don't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it does work just fine for me.  The IR must reflect behind the TV somehow.  I would not discount this remote, if you were longing for a button remote and you want your Apple TV mounted to the back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    smsm said:
    The list of TVs And other devices this works with Is very limited. Mostly old models. None of which I own. [...]
    This is not accurate. I guess maybe this person thinks the device codes used to program the remote are model numbers. For details, see my earlier response to this same post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    "The remote itself has accelerometers, so the remote can be swung like a bat for a Nintendo Wii-like gaming experience."

This that true?? I had no idea. Is there a free app I can download to experience this?

Strike! Ten Pin Bowling 4+

Touch Mechanics

It's not baseball but you use the ATV remote to throw the ball and put spin on it. It reminds me of bowling on the Wii years ago. B)

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    laytech said:
    Apple remote needs work the track pad is inconsistent and can drive me nuts. You can't zoom into pictures you have on Apple TV. Time for an upgrade. Just needs subtle improvements.

Zoom

Use Zoom to magnify the image on Apple TV. You use the Touch surface on the remote to control Zoom and to pan around the zoomed image.

Turn Zoom on or off. In Settings Settings, go to General > Accessibility > Zoom. Or, use the Accessibility Shortcut. See Accessibility Shortcut.

Zoom in or out. With Zoom turned on, press the Touch surface three times. Any item you highlight is automatically magnified.

Move the zoom focus. Tap the top, bottom, left, or right edge of the Touch surface to move in that direction by one screen item.

Adjust the magnification Tap the Touch surface and drag up or down with two fingers. To limit the maximum magnification, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom > Maximum Zoom Level.

Turn panning on or off. Tap the Touch surface with two fingers.

Pan to see more. While panning, drag your finger on the Touch surface.

Speak the currently selected screen item. Press the Siri button Zoom twice.

Not sure if this will help?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Good to see this - complaints from the usual suspects here that this device isn’t needed. Device like this IS needed because Apple’s remote is garbage - it was a minimalist design exercise by Jony Ive which eschews accommodating a segment of its presumed intended audience - families. As with everything from Apple, it was also about reducing costs.

Making a glass, touch sensitive Bluetooth remote was to cut costs? Really?
    mike1tenthousandthingsrandominternetpersonbeowulfschmidtpscooter63watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    webweasel said:
    Users who want to watch TV are easily overwhelmed by the device, especially if they have cognitive skills

I'm not sure this means what you think it means AI. I think you mean if they have cognitive impairment! Or perhaps are old, or young.
    Thanks for the catch. Yes, the sentence doesn’t make sense as it is, just a silly typo. Fixed now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I'm all for alternative remotes for the Apple TV as long as they provide functionality at least as good, if not better than the original.

I'm definitely not a fan of the remote Apple supplies, but I've yet to see a better one.

No Siri, not rechargeable, no accelerometer, no touch pad, no Bluetooth... I'll pass on the Function 101 Button Remote. Maybe it'll have better success hanging on the impulse racks near the checkouts at dollar stores for $4.99.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    omasou said:
    I bought a new 2020 Sony TV this year. Surprisingly, the remote controls the Apple TV very well. I'm finally down to one remote!!!!

My 2016 (maybe 2017, i forget) Sony model does too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    That last complete is complete, verifiable BS.

Was it "cost-cutting" that had them include accelerometers that 99% of users will never even know are present?  And that track pad is clearly more expensive than a few buttons.  Do you think for a second that the Apple remote costs less to produce than this $30 third-party remote?
    zroger73tenthousandthingswatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 37 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Choice is good. The Apple ATV remote isn't for everybody, clearly. But I had a chance to use one a bit (I don't have an ATV yet) and I like it a lot.  

Full disclosure: I was adept and happy with the Hockey Puck mouse and used one even though I didn't have a G3 iMac. It was a great one-button mouse. It's only shortcoming was it was a one-button mouse. It's always amusing to see that so many people were baffled by it's function. But as I said, choice it good.

Once I get an ATV, I might want an additional, simple, button remote, but not that one. The fewer buttons the happier I am. And every remote should have a central, prominently placed Mute button, real or virtual. An additional remote might augment the Siri remote for me, but not replace it.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    That last complete is complete, verifiable BS.
    Yes, the R&D alone cost more than Apple could possibly  recoup from any supposed cost reducing processes in its making.  

To be fair, we know, or at least we damn well should know that Apple wouldn't include any off the shelf or typical remote with an Apple product, at least not since the MacTV. I've still got a couple of the iPod-like remotes for older iMacs.

So it's not a matter of any $30 remote being cheaper than what the Siri remote cost Apple, but more the delta between developing a Siri remote and a more typical button remote, with the R&D probably costing more than any savings could ever recoup, as I previously mentioned. Still, it's not like Apple doesn't have any experience with touch-sensitive devices.

The real, potential cost savings is for the user, or at least me, and truth be told, I'm the only one that matters. I've burned through a lot of remotes as the buttons eventually fail. While failing, they can sometimes be put on life support for a bit, but it gets old trying to resuscitate them. No matter how much you pay for a device, the remote seems to be no better in function than a $30 third-party item.

It's entirely possible there's a point of pre-mature failure in the Apple remote that wouldn't out last the failed buttons (and really it only takes one generally) that I don't know about. But I'm willing to take my chances.

• Reply 39 of 39
    dysamoria said:
    Jony Ive should’ve been fired for the ATV remote alone.
    Maybe not that alone, but...

• that Apple TV remote...
    • the puck mouse, for historic reasons (this should never have gotten to customers; everyone including Jobs failed here)
    • the mice since then where the body/base is the button mechanism, causing usage clumsiness, especially with lifting the mouse to relocate it when click-dragging (no, those lame grip zones suck)
    • the first Magic Trackpad where the button mechanism is the rubber feet up front that get caught under the body and stick
    • iOS 7 UI redesign <- this is more like what I’d call a fireable offense
    • thinness/minimalist obsession, causing ergonomic issues, thermal issues, reduction in convenience features, etc. such as:
    • iPhones that are so thin and slippery that a case is required to feel comfortable and stable in the hand
    • removal of buttons leading to further reliance on gestures
    • conflicting gestures in iOS
    • material waste (mostly because of sealed rechargeable batteries) and servicing difficulty...

... I could keep going. It all adds up to a lot of really bad design, in a company that is famous for “insanely great design”. Ive was better off doing hardware design only, when managed by people who appreciated customer-friendly details and a need for serious computing power. Giving him authority over GUI design, and basically total authority in design in general, was a major mistake.
    I’m so happy to find myself in 100% agreement with you - the day Ive got fired was the happiest day ever. (and yes, he got fired, and it was sour grapes on his end - otherwise, where’s his big and shiny design company, huh? 🤔 )