My "Sent" mailbox erased itself!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Not quite sure how this happened, but I went to check on an e-mail I had sent last week in Mail and I had no messages in the Sent mailbox. I'm running 10.2.4 on a TiBook 550 with 256 MB of RAM.

I tried importing the Sent mailbox, but it too was empty. While I can live without my sent mail, this is somewhat annoying because I do need to go through old mail from time to time, so it would be nice to get it back (though I'm not banking on it). Also, I don't like my Ti doing things I don't want it to

My best guess for why this happened was a lack of hard drive space (I have under 4 Gigs of hard drive space left). On the weekend, my girlfriend was using iMovie and got a message at some point about being low on memory and she couldn't play back her movie anymore. I wasn't in the room at the time so I didn't see the warning message (so it could have been about HD or RAM space).

Any suggestions or ideas about what went wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    It's possible to configure Mail to automatically erase Sent messages after a certain length of time. If you select Preferences from the Mail menu, select Accounts, double click on an account and click on the Special Mailboxes tab, are you sure you don't have Erase copies of sent messages when: set to one day old, one week old or one month old? I'm not sure what the default is.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RodUK

It's possible to configure Mail to automatically erase Sent messages after a certain length of time. If you select Preferences from the Mail menu, select Accounts, double click on an account and click on the Special Mailboxes tab, are you sure you don't have Erase copies of sent messages when: set to one day old, one week old or one month old? I'm not sure what the default is.

No, that's not it; I have all of my sent messages set to never erase.

Though could this have done anything? I had attached my Ti to an iMac as a Firewire disk to copy some files and accidentaly loaded my verison of Mail off the iMac, which brought up the "you have to configure Mail" dialogue box.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    this happened to me as well. im not in front of my computer at the moment so I cant help you but it is safe to assume your mail is still there somewhere....

do a search of your entire mailbox from mail for a message sent from you... there should be a folder called "sent mail (name of account)"... at least there was for me...

this was most likely caused because OS X ran out of room...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

this happened to me as well. im not in front of my computer at the moment so I cant help you but it is safe to assume your mail is still there somewhere....

do a search of your entire mailbox from mail for a message sent from you... there should be a folder called "sent mail (name of account)"... at least there was for me...

this was most likely caused because OS X ran out of room...

Hmm. Nothing like that I could find. I searched for a folder called "sent mail" across all of my HD and found nothing.

Any other help would be great.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ah sorry... it is called "Sent Messages ('name of mailbox')--On My Mac (#of unread messages)" unless of course your mail was not stored locally... be sure to search using the mail app application and make sure to try and import mailboxes again if you can't find it...

good luck
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Still no luck. I searched for e-mails sent by me and nothing showed up as being in a mailbox named "Sent Messages...etc...". I'll keep trying though.