'iPhone 12' event announcement expected this week

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2020
Another leaker is casting doubts on the possibility of an imminent hardware release, with the expected Tuesday press release predicted to just contain details of when the fall "iPhone 12" launch event will take place.

A collection of dummy iPhones suggesting what the 'iPhone 12' range could look like.
A collection of dummy iPhones suggesting what the 'iPhone 12' range could look like.

A number of rumors have pointed to Apple holding some form of event in September, with at least one leaker claiming an event will take place during the week of September 7. Accoring to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman on Twitter, the latest murmors of an Apple press release may not necessarily be for a product launch.

Posted to Twitter on Sunday, Gurman proposes people don't "get too excited about rumors of new Apple products appearing this week." Instead, he thinks its more likely to be an announcement relating to an upcoming event for the "iPhone 12" and "Apple Watch Series 6," one that will almost certainly be "virtual."

I wouldn't get too excited about rumors of new Apple products appearing this week. More likely I think: an announcement of the upcoming (of course virtual) September iPhone/Apple Watch event.

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

The post follows an earlier tweet from serial leaker Jon Prosser, which claimed Apple was readying a press release for September 8, which would be published at 9 A.M Eastern time. Prosser didn't discuss on Sunday what he expected would be in the press release, but said the time could change, and that it would require the press to have been "briefed, day of" before its publication.

Gurman's warning is fairly prudent, given Apple's tendency to provide at least a week's warning before holding an event surrounding a major product launch. For 2019's "By invitation only" special event for the iPhone 11, Apple told media about the September 10 date on August 29, giving 12 days warning.

Even for a virtual event with a premade video, one that could end up being similar to how Apple presented the WWDC 2020 keynote, Apple may still err towards providing advanced warning of the upcoming iPhone launch.

Expected products

Apple is largely expected to reveal new four iPhone models during the event, consisting of two "iPhone 12" models and two "iPhone 12 Pro" versions. As well as differing by cameras, the Pro models are thought to reuse the iPad Pro's LiDAR sensor for depth mapping, with 5G connectivity also believed to be a major addition across the board for this generation.

The event may also be the launch venue for the "Apple Watch Series 6," which this year may include a plastic version, Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) to improve wireless performance, and blood oxygenation monitoring.

A new iPad model could be on the way, potentially in the form of the "iPad Air 4," which could borrow the design and second-generation Apple Pencil from the iPad Pro.

The often-rumored "AirTags" may also make an appearance. Consisting of a Bluetooth and UWB-equipped tag, the "AirTags will potentially work with Apple's existing Find My app to help users locate lost items it is attached to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wallet open and ready.
    qwerty52
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Why would anyone expect the initial move to be an announcement of exact hardware and specs? They have never done that with the phones or the watch. They always announce the event first. Then the event where they introduce the product comes with an additional announcement about when they will take orders and start fulfillment. Not sure why would anyone speculate that pattern would change.

My wife and I will be getting new phones (12 pro max). We've had our Xs for three years now. I will get a series 6 watch and my wife will inherit my series 4 (her idea, not mine!). I love new hardware and it has been a while. Really looking forward to this.
    edited September 2020 Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Have there been any rumors, or any informed  speculation concerning the price of the Air Tags?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yeah, it’ll be the seventh, or possibly the 17th....but again the 27th is very possible.... you heard it here first....
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Given that COVID-19 will prevent a live gathering, there really is no need to send out invitations two weeks ahead of time. 

Besides, it’s really more about confirming which ‘sources’ know the best leakers... 😏
    retrogustoStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    rbnetengr said:
    Given that COVID-19 will prevent a live gathering, there really is no need to send out invitations two weeks ahead of time. 

Besides, it’s really more about confirming which ‘sources’ know the best leakers... 😏

Yup. Two days is plenty of notice to get the hype train up to full speed.
    flyingdpStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tommikele said:
    My wife and I will be getting new phones (12 pro max). We've had our Xs for three years now. I will get a series 6 watch and my wife will inherit my series 4 (her idea, not mine!). I love new hardware and it has been a while. Really looking forward to this.
    That’s a pretty good trick since the Xs has only been around for two years. Only the original X model is 3 years old. I know because my Xs Max 2 year AppleCare expires in November. I’m going for the 512GB 12 Pro Max too. Have WATCH Series 5 so my graduation to Series 6 depends on if the battery life and processor speed improvement are substantial enough to warrant the move. I’m still not happy with the battery life.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    tommikele said:
    That’s a pretty good trick since the Xs has only been around for two years. Only the original X model is 3 years old. I know because my Xs Max 2 year AppleCare expires in November. I’m going for the 512GB 12 Pro Max too. Have WATCH Series 5 so my graduation to Series 6 depends on if the battery life and processor speed improvement are substantial enough to warrant the move. I’m still not happy with the battery life.
    Pretty sure the original poster meant X plural, hence Xs. If they were talking about the model you have, they would likely have written XS.
    So, what would be acceptable battery life of the Watch? A day or two seems sufficient for most everyone.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    tommikele said:
    I started with Apple Watch 0, which had a battery life of less than one day.  That was pretty crappy, and it was also slow to respond, and took forever to boot up.  I still laugh when I think about those people who spent $10K+ for the gold version of Apple Watch 0.

I upgraded to a Series 4 (no cellular), and battery life is substantially better.  I charge it every other day.  I also wear it during the night, to track my sleep, so I’ve switched to charging it during the day while I sit and work at my desk.

While it would be great to charge the watch less frequently, like once per week, the current battery duration works well for me.  I imagine it would take a new generation of battery technology to substantially increase the battery life of the watch.  My wife’s Garmin seems to last a long time on one charge, but it is not as fully integrated with her iPhone as my Apple Watch is.  Essentially making the watch an extension of the iPhone means that it’s in almost constant communication via Bluetooth or WiFi, so it’s going to use more battery power.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I would imagine the new iPad and watch shipments to begin soon. Some friends I know who work at my local Apple store have hinted that they are re-opening the stores soon in my state since COVID-19 cases has fallen below the threshold for Apple to determine its safe to reopen.

During the close, they told me that they were instructed to ship their whole inventory of iPads to open stores and return all of the series 5 watches, and not to do anything with the current iPhones yet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    rbnetengr said:
    tommikele said:
    I started with Apple Watch 0, which had a battery life of less than one day.  That was pretty crappy, and it was also slow to respond, and took forever to boot up.  I still laugh when I think about those people who spent $10K+ for the gold version of Apple Watch 0.

I upgraded to a Series 4 (no cellular), and battery life is substantially better.  I charge it every other day.  I also wear it during the night, to track my sleep, so I’ve switched to charging it during the day while I sit and work at my desk.

While it would be great to charge the watch less frequently, like once per week, the current battery duration works well for me.  I imagine it would take a new generation of battery technology to substantially increase the battery life of the watch.  My wife’s Garmin seems to last a long time on one charge, but it is not as fully integrated with her iPhone as my Apple Watch is.  Essentially making the watch an extension of the iPhone means that it’s in almost constant communication via Bluetooth or WiFi, so it’s going to use more battery power.
    You’re thinking about them wrong. They’re the ones laughing because $10k for a watch wasn’t a big deal to the very rich. 

You’re right about the battery life tho. It gets pretty good life now and won’t get much better until there’s a major evolution in humanity’s battery tech. The people who exclaim that Garmins last longer don’t seem to understand it’s because they do less..there’s nothing magical about it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    rbnetengr said:
    tommikele said:

You’re thinking about them wrong. They’re the ones laughing because $10k for a watch wasn’t a big deal to the very rich. 

You’re right about the battery life tho. It gets pretty good life now and won’t get much better until there’s a major evolution in humanity’s battery tech. The people who exclaim that Garmins last longer don’t seem to understand it’s because they do less..there’s nothing magical about it. 
    That last paragraph reminds me of stories Apple techs would tell me about customers who would compare their “poor” iPhone battery life to their previous phones which were flip phones. 😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    rbnetengr said:
    tommikele said:

That last paragraph reminds me of stories Apple techs would tell me about customers who would compare their “poor” iPhone battery life to their previous phones which were flip phones. 😂
    That’s my FIL, today. Every time my MIL mentions her iPhone I have to hear about how his flip phone needs charging once a week. Then, again, I have to explain that an iPhone is a computer that has a phone. Similar to how the Apple Watch is a wrist worn computer and not a Casio watch front the 80s that needed a new battery once a year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    rbnetengr said:
    tommikele said:

I have a series 3 that is about 2 years old and I still get 36 hours of battery life, depending on how I use it. That’s usually plenty, but it would be nice to be able to go away for a weekend and not bring a charger.

For me the real benefit of the Apple Watch is the integration with my iphone. I don’t use the fitness tracking features, so if I didn’t have an Apple Watch I’d probably go back to my $30 Timex digital. The battery on that thing lasted about 2 years! :smiley: 
    watto_cobra