Peloton Bike+ coming soon, with Apple GymKit support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Peloton, the maker of remote-workout integrated exercise equipment, has just announced the all-new Peloton Bike+, which will easily pair with Apple Watch through GymKit.

The Peloton Bike+
The Peloton Bike+

The new Peloton Bike will include a 23.8-inch rotating HD touchscreen, allowing users to transition between cycling and Peloton's floor-based workouts easily. An updated four-speaker sound system allows for better sound quality.

The Peloton Bike+ will also support GymKit, allowing users to pair their Apple Watch to the bike to keep metrics in sync and allow for more accurate health tracking.

A new setting, dubbed "auto-follow," will allow users to have the Peloton Bike+ automatically adjust resistance within the Target Metrics, helping users to make the most of their workout.

The Peloton Bike+ will be available on September 9 for $2,495. Those who own an original Peloton Bike can trade in a working unit for a $700 credit toward their purchase. The All-Access Membership, which includes guided instructor courses, is $39 per month.

The all new Peloton Tread
The all new Peloton Tread

Peloton also switched up their Peloton Tread line-- the original Peloton Tread has been renamed to the Peloton Tread+. The company will be releasing a new, budget-friendly model, titled the Peloton Tread, at a lower price point.

The Peloton Tread features a 23.8-inch touch screen, a smaller tread base that fits into smaller rooms with less effort, and a redesigned running platform to make for easier training.

The new Peloton Tread will release in early 2021 and will launch at $2,495. Like other Peloton products, the All-Access membership is $39 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    GymKit support, nice! I’ve been trying to get Rogue to support it on their very popular Echo Bike, which currently requires use of a standalone Bluetooth HR monitor. Considering the mass appeal and popularity of AW, the HR monitor people already own and wear, why?? Nice to see Peleton gets it. 
    edited September 2020 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    GymKit support, nice! I’ve been trying to get Rogue to support it on their very popular Echo Bike, which currently requires use of a standalone Bluetooth HR monitor. Considering the mass appeal and popularity of AW, the HR monitor people already own and wear, why?? Nice to see Peleton gets it. 
    We cancelled our gym membership and got a peloton a few months ago. We ended up getting the separate HR monitor.  Not being able to pair with the Apple Watch's we already have is/was frustrating. The Peloton already has BT support, so it seems like it should work but my understanding is the AppleWatch uses non-standard protocols. Frustrating. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Good to see the innovator supporting Apple. All gyms should upgrade to GymKit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Good news! I haven’t read anything about gymkit in a very long time. Glad it’s not forgotten 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MplsP said:
    We cancelled our gym membership and got a peloton a few months ago. We ended up getting the separate HR monitor.  Not being able to pair with the Apple Watch's we already have is/was frustrating. The Peloton already has BT support, so it seems like it should work but my understanding is the AppleWatch uses non-standard protocols. Frustrating. 
    Actually, GymKit is the closest thing TO a standard protocol for gym equipment. Bluetooth itself has no “profiles” for things like gym equipment and personal sensors to talk with each other. Any BT connectivity to gym equipment before GymKit was proprietary to that vendors gym equipment. The closest thing to what BT that does sensors is ANT+, but that is proprietary to Garmin, and isn’t a standard either (it is able to be licenced though)

The cool thing about GymKit is the ad-hoc, temporary pairing, with 2 way data flow eg send the HR data from watch to the treadmill, but speed / distance data is sent back to the watch , and all data on the gym equipment is ephemeral, and deleted at the end of the workout.

(ANT+ is semi-permanent, many-many pairing long term, which is fine for something you own from Garmin like  say your bike’s speed/cadence/power sensors and a bike computer)

GymKit launched only in watchOS 4, and has gone from high end gym equipment (12k+ per device) to (high end) home gym equipment  in <2 years - that’s pretty amazing adoption  moving into more affordable stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Is GymKit hardware dependent? Is there a reason it can't be enabled on the original Peloton through a software update? I'm not a programmer, so I may be totally underestimating the difficulty here, but I've never understood why a few lines of code can't just get the Peloton and Apple Watch to connect directly instead of through a 3rd party app (Blueheart).