Apple's September 15 'Time Flies' event invite hides a whimsical AR logo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple announced its "iPhone 12" event on Tuesday morning, and hid an AR Easter egg inside the invite logo.

AR Apple Logo
AR Apple Logo

When on the Apple event webpage, users can click on the Apple logo to enter AR view on iOS and iPadOS devices. On macOS, users can download the file and view the animation in Quick Look.

The logo loops back and forth through the animation and can be viewed in 360-degrees in AR. Apple introduced the ability for their devices to interact with USDZ files in iOS 12.

Some devices running iOS 13.7 or the iOS 14 beta show a blank screen with "object requires a newer version of iOS." To get around this-- press and hold on the logo and select "download linked file." From the downloaded file, you can interact with the 3D object and place it into your room with AR.

Some users on Twitter are able to launch the object, while AppleInsider staff could not despite trying multiple devices running the latest iOS 14 beta and iOS 13.7.

Apple event invites are often a red herring, as the designer making the invite knows nothing about the event or what it will entail. The AR aspect of the invite could lend to the idea that AR and LiDAR will play a big part in the "iPhone 12." The all-digital Apple event will be held September 15.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Cool little thing. :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    This AR logo demo is rock solid on my iPad Pro 2017. Sits in space rigid relative to background objects.

Getting closer to AR glasses that can show a virtual display!
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The logo on their "Time Flies" event looks like they were following the flight path of a fly. And if they were using an Apple Watch to time its flight path, it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Time Flies."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Time flies = Time of Flight (ToF) / LIDAR ?
    OnPartyBusinessGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Not sure why I don’t see it in the story copy, but link is here:

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/
    GeorgeBMacmbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like an apple

:p 
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I couldn't care less about AR, but I guess whatever floats their marketing fancy.
    But, I wonder if there is any remote chance the iPad mini will see an update (as we're just about to order one).
  • Reply 8 of 13
    The logo on their "Time Flies" event looks like they were following the flight path of a fly. And if they were using an Apple Watch to time its flight path, it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Time Flies."
    OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people -- under the supervision of the reverse vampires -- are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner... We're through the looking glass here people.

tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cgWerks said:
    But, I wonder if there is any remote chance the iPad mini will see an update (as we're just about to order one).
    Rumors last indicated next year, which would fit given we have practically all the info on the imminent iPad Air and very little on a mini besides the screen size.
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 10 of 13
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Apple announced its "iPhone 12" event on Tuesday morning, and hid an AR Easter egg inside the invite logo.

Some devices running iOS 13.7 or the iOS 14 beta show a blank screen with "object requires a newer version of iOS." To get around this-- press and hold on the logo and select "download linked file."

The AR view and animation perform correctly on my 10 under iOS 13.6.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13

Yeh, and what I don't understand about Apple is why, even if you go to Apple.com, you still can't get there from there.
  • Reply 12 of 13

Yeh, and what I don't understand about Apple is why, even if you go to Apple.com, you still can't get there from there.
    But you can, by clicking "Learn more >"

• Reply 13 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    cgWerks said:
    Rumors last indicated next year, which would fit given we have practically all the info on the imminent iPad Air and very little on a mini besides the screen size.
    Yeah, unfortunately I think you're right. We'll cross our fingers for tomorrow, but that's about as long as I'm going to be able to hold my son off.
    (The Lightning port has become so touchy, it doesn't charge consistently. The audio controls don't work right and sometimes it just goes full volume randomly, etc. And... he's got the funds now.)
    edited September 2020