Mark Zuckerberg says Apple's App Store 'deserves scrutiny'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday said that Apple has "unilateral control" over the App Store, and said that the platform "deserves scrutiny."

Credit: Facebook, Getty Images
Credit: Facebook, Getty Images

The social media executive made the comments in an interview with Axios when asked about whether Apple's App Store was a monopoly. Both Apple and Facebook are under antitrust investigation by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee.

"Well I certainly think that they have the unilateral control of what gets on the phones in terms of apps," Zuckerberg told Axios. "So, I do think that there are questions that people should be looking into about that control of the App Store and whether that is enabling as robust of a competitive dynamic."

Zuckerberg then contrasted the App Store with the Google Play Store, and praised Google for permitting sideloaded apps -- or apps that are downloaded from alternate app stores.

"As a developer if you're not in the Google Play Store, at least you still have a way to get your app on people's devices," Zuckerberg said. "I think that that's really important, that people have a way to create something and get it on devices if people want."

However, the Facebook CEO didn't specify whether the government should investigate the App Store policies.

"I think I'm not necessarily the person to answer that ... I think some of the behavior certainly raises questions. And I do think it's something that deserves scrutiny," he said.

This isn't the first time Zuckerberg has taken aim at the App Store. In August, during an internal company webcast, Zuckerberg said that the App Store blocks innovation and competition, and allows Apple to charge "monopoly rents."

Those comments were in response to an employee question about Apple's ongoing legal saga with Epic Games. Earlier that month, Epic baited Apple into removing "Fortnite" from the App Store and launched a lawsuit and marketing campaign when it did.

In late July, both Zuckerberg and Apple CEO Tim Cook testified before the U.S. House Judiciary Committee as part of the investigation into the tech giants' power and control over platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    What a whiny little jealous boy....
    rob53aderutteruraharaMacProCuJoYYCwilliamlondonpulseimagesBeatsmagman1979jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 46
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    MZ, of all people... what a crazy year this has been.
    ronnCuJoYYCwilliamlondonBeatsmagman1979georgie01watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Doesn’t Facebook have “unilateral control”over what is approved on their platform? Zuckerburg is just pissed because of all the ad revenue he will lose with new iOS 14 privacy protections
    rob53ronnanantksundaramaderutterStrangeDayselijahguraharaMacPromdriftmeyerjdgaz
  • Reply 4 of 46
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Riiiiiiiggghhhhhttttt
    MacProCuJoYYCwilliamlondonpulseimagesBeatsmagman1979geekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Hey Zuckerberg, shouldn’t you be spending your time trying to figure out how you are going to make up for lost revenue as a result of Apple’s plan to close the door on [some of] your sinister activities? Tick tock. 
    rob53ronnMacProwilliamlondonpulseimagesBeatsMisterKitmagman1979jahbladeDogperson
  • Reply 6 of 46
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Mark has systematically destroyed people’s trust in Facebook doing the right thing.

This is why their Home video camera, Facebook phone, dating service, and digital payments have all failed. 

This is why Instagram and WhatsApp are going to be taking away by the DOJ

No trust 
    rob53StrangeDaysMacProwilliamlondonpulseimagesBeatsmagman1979jahbladeDogperson[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Have to wonder why the most disrespected CEO in tech is railing once again against Apple. Is it a trump-like thing of diverting attention away from themselves and all the concerns about their ethics? 
    ronnStrangeDaysMacPromdriftmeyerCuJoYYCwilliamlondondysamoriapulseimagesBeatsMisterKit
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Wants to be a freeloader, like Epic. Go create your own app store, man. Get lost.

I think that Apple should reinstate the ad protections in iOS 14 as originally planned (and on which they were starting to back off).
    aderutterronndhawkins541MacProwilliamlondondysamoriaBeatsMisterKitmagman1979jahblade
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Of course he does.

Anything which can distract attention from Facebook's numerous and public failings can only be a good thing. Especially in an election year with the Russians, Chinese, and even the Iranians doing all they can to influence the election's outcome - and of course their favorite tool is faked account posts and advertisements on social media.

And his criticism has nothing to do with the fact that iOS 14's tracking opt-in/out feature will reported (by Facebook) reduce advertising revenue by 50%.

So ... what's Facebook's cut of the advertising dollar when a developer implements their ad network in their app, anyhow? Can a developer negotiate for a higher cut of that advertising dollar?

And no - Apple should not be trying to take a cut from programs designed to help those down and out, no matter what the "we treat all developers the same" stated policy is.
    MacPromdriftmeyerdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Have to wonder why the most disrespected CEO in tech is railing once again against Apple. Is it a trump-like thing of diverting attention away from themselves and all the concerns about their ethics? 
    Lets discuss tech here and no politics....
    williamlondonBeatsjahblade
  • Reply 11 of 46
    And FB has unilateral control over FB apps. What in the hell is talking about?
    ronnelijahgwilliamlondonBeatsMisterKitmagman1979georgie01jahbladeDogpersonpscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 46
    What you are crying Zuck is: “Appel is protecting the privacy of its users, and I can’t spay on them. My business model is in danger“.
    Way are you talking about Appel and not about your bastaard company.
    MacProwilliamlondonBeatsmagman1979Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 46
    I’m 1000x more supportive of lowering App Store fees than Facebook being able to better spy on people. 
    elijahgwilliamlondonBeatsmattinozhumanaftera11
  • Reply 14 of 46
    What needs scrutiny is Facebook
    williamlondondysamoriaBeatsmagman1979presearchjahbladeDogpersonpscooter63watto_cobrahumanaftera11
  • Reply 15 of 46
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Given his total lack of a moral compass and the damage Facebook has done and continues to do to humanity because of it, Mark Zuckerberg is the second worst American alive.
    edited September 2020 elijahgwilliamlondondysamoriadrdavidBeatspresearchgeorgie01Dogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I wish internet filter out his stupid face and talk. In fact Facebook needs deep scrutiny from everyone and regulators around the world and Mark Zucherberg's head also need MRI to check it out all the abnormalities..
    williamlondonBeatsDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 46
    I seem to recall Facebook was either thinking of launching or did attempt to launch their own line of Android phones at one point... how’d that work out?
    BeatsJinTechpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Lets discuss tech here and no politics....
    It’s hardly possible to discuss Facebook without discussing politics in any meaningful way given their reach into the personal lives of about half the planet’s population.
    dysamoriaronnanantksundaramgeorgie01Dogpersonmontrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Be careful Zuck. You invite the cops in to look at your neighbour, don’t be surprised if they start looking at your practices too. Don’t think for a minute that Apple doesn’t know enough about your operation to cause you a world of trouble. 
    BeatsMisterKitronnjahbladepscooter63montrosemacswatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Facebook will probably get replaced by something else in not that long anyway. Any one (most) of college age or younger no longer uses Facebook and even those in their late 20's rarely use it anymore. At least in my experience as a Professor and father of teenagers and twenty-somethings.
    watto_cobra