Tile launches Premium Protect with $1000 lost item reimbursement promise

Posted:
in General Discussion
Tile has announced plans to launch a new subscription tier called "Premium Protect," which promises to cover lost items with Tile trackers attached up to $1,000.

Tile launches Premium Protect with $1000 item reimbursement promise

Tile, a manufacturer of popular Bluetooth trackers, is gearing up to launch a new tier to their Tile Premium subscription. This time, the company plans to offer up to $1000 of lost item reimbursement should Tile not be able to help a user locate a missing item within seven days.

The new service, dubbed "Premium Protect, is provided in partnership with Cover Genius and is available for Tile-enabled partner projects, such as Skullcandy's Tile-enabled TWS Earbuds and the HP Elite Dragonfly laptop.

Engaget points out that this is a warranty on the Tile network, not the item that is tracked. If the Tile network can locate the item, but you are unable to retrieve it due to unsafe conditions, the company would not reimburse you for the item.

However, if the Tile network is unable to provide you with a location, or does not provide you with the correct location of an object, you would be able to file a claim for review for potential item reimbursement of up to $1,000. There is no word whether the service covers a single Tile or can track multiple Tile trackers and cover multiple objects provided the total replacement cost does not exceed $1,000.

In addition to item reimbursement, Premium Protect includes all current Tile Premium benefits. This includes Smart Alerts, which notify users when they leave an area without their Tile, unlimited sharing of owned Tiles, 30 days of saved location history, and free battery replacement.

When it launches, Tile Premium Protect will cost $99.99 a year and is anticipated to arrive this fall but does not have a specific launch date as of yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    It's almost as if they're expecting a competitor to enter the market 🤡
    twokatmewgeekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Sounds like Tile is getting a bit worried that Apple is going to stomp all over them?
    twokatmewgeekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Okay, if the gadget was stolen, then that would automatically qualify as “unsafe to retrieve” wouldn’t it?

vannygee said:
    It's almost as if they're expecting a competitor to enter the market 🤡

Well, they could have used Apple’s networkWhich would give them a far better chance of a location hit. I suspect the problem is that using Apple’s network would shut them out of location data that they could use to generate extra revenue. 

I think I’ll pass then wouldn’t want them knowing I left my phone at the Spearmint Rhino. 
    Eric_WVGGrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Not a smart move. People can lost expensive item attached with tile tag and can't locate so get $1000 ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wood1208 said:
    Not a smart move. People can lost expensive item attached with tile tag and can't locate so get $1000 ?
    not to sound all hand-wavey, but there’s an entire industry called "insurance" that has over a century of learning how to deal with fraud. 

I wanted to stick a Tile on my bicycle, but I could never figure out a way to attach one beyond glue, and have very little faith in glue holding up during bad weather.
    edited September 2020 twokatmewCloudTalkinmike1watto_cobrabeowulfschmidtvannygee
  • Reply 6 of 22

Rayz2016 said:
    the Spearmint Rhino. 
    ahahahahaha
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Interested to see the terms and conditions for payout.

Must have proof of purchase
    Must have police report
    Must not have been lost or stolen during a full moon.
    twokatmewBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    For $1000 coverage, I’d self-insure anyway. Looking forward to replacing my Tiles with AirTags. 
    Beatsgeekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    mike1 said:
    Interested to see the terms and conditions for payout.

Must have proof of purchase
    Must have police report
    Must not have been lost or stolen during a full moon.
    Video proof of you purchasing said item...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Eric_WVGG said:
    wood1208 said:
    not to sound all hand-wavey, but there’s an entire industry called "insurance" that has over a century of learning how to deal with fraud. 

I wanted to stick a Tile on my bicycle, but I could never figure out a way to attach one beyond glue, and have very little faith in glue holding up during bad weather.
    Yeah, insurance companies have risk mitigation down to a science.  The most bargain basement type of person trying to commit fraud for up to $1000 is unlikely to get away with it, unlikely to spend $100 for a warranty, and probably unlikely to even purchase Tile products in the first place.

About the bike, have you tried the seat tube or inside the handlebars?  Bike style dependent suggestion of course.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    What a sad effort to remain relevant with the imminent release of Apple's tracker. $99./year with so many gotcha's attached to the offer feels to me like a step in the wrong direction (pun alert). 
    geekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Rayz2016 said:
    Okay, if the gadget was stolen, then that would automatically qualify as “unsafe to retrieve” wouldn’t it?

Yep.  But they'll gladly take your $100 a year until you file a claim.
    geekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Hmmm... Seen this before. When Apple is about to launch a new product, competitors put their game face on.

If anyone thinks Apple will just copy/paste a tracker product like Tile, you don't know Apple. They will release something different and innovative that just WORKS.

Cool concept:

edited September 2020 geekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Eric_WVGG said:

How about under the seat?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    wood1208 said:
    Gorilla double sided tape. I put a surge protector on my wall with that tap, decided I didn't like it there and had to use force to get the surge protector off. $35 later I am left with a huge repair job for my own stupidity lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Eric_WVGG said:
    wood1208 said:

If you just want to attach your Tile to your bike, just use a plastic zip tie. There are multiple places you could attach it that way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Rayz2016 said:

I think I’ll pass then wouldn’t want them knowing I left my phone at the Spearmint Rhino. 
    Why would you stick one on your phone?  It already comes with Find My.
    JinTechwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Without Find My support in the native iOS app, I’m out. I’ve been using Tiles for 4+ years and used to love them. But they’ve been inching in the wrong direction for a long time now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    wood1208 said:

If you just want to attach your Tile to your bike, just use a plastic zip tie. There are multiple places you could attach it that way.

I don't think he wants the thief to see it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I can just imagine the board meeting... 

'So, if this sells X more Tiles and we only agree to pay Y claims, how much will we make before we are out of business because of Apple's AirTags?'
    watto_cobra