Apple releases macOS Supplemental Update with iCloud, Wi-Fi fixes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple on Thursday released a new supplemental update to macOS 10.15.6 that addresses issues with Wi-Fi and iCloud.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The latest macOS 10.15.6 Supplemental Update arrives about one month after a previous update patched bugs related to virtualization and waking from sleep.

The supplemental update released Thursday squashes a bug that prevents Mac devices from automatically connecting to Wi-Fi, as well as an issue in iCloud Drive that caused file syncing problems.

Users can download the macOS 10.15.6 Supplemental Update by heading to System Preferences and Software Update on their Macs. The update carries a build number of 19G2531.

Apple's macOS 10.15.6 is likely to be one of the last major updates to macOS Catalina as the company prepares to transition to macOS Big Sur in the fall.

Update 6:29 A.M. Eastern Time September 12: After successfully installing the update on one non-beta Mac notification, and the confirming the update was posted for download on Apple servers, it appears the update has been pulled, since or possibly only released in error for a brief period. AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment or clarification.

Update 8:14 A.M Eastern Time, September 19: Apple has responded to our queries. In its response, it said that "A very few very early adopters of the last supplemental update will need this update, and it will present itself in Software Update in Settings."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Not seeing it available in Software Updates, nor is it posted to support.apple.com
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Not seeing it available in Software Updates, nor is it posted to support.apple.com
    https://developer.apple.com/news/releases/?id=09102020a

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    What about Bluetooth fixes? iMac 2017 always have broken Bluetooth on third party wireless earphones and three years passed, no fix at all.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    ivanh said:
    What about Bluetooth fixes? iMac 2017 always have broken Bluetooth on third party wireless earphones and three years passed, no fix at all.
    You have the most interesting problems that nobody else seems to ever have.
    SpamSandwichlkruppchiachasmfastasleeprazorpitdchendermwhiteRayz2016cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    ivanh said:
    I have no less than three sets of Bluetooth headphones; Sony MBR-wX770BN over-ear, AKG-Y500 on-ear, and an LG set of earbud-style older ones. All three work fine with both my 2012 MBP running Mojave and my 2019 15-inch i0 MBP running Catalina (not to mention my various iOS devices.

Sounds like the problem is local to you.
    edited September 2020 fastasleepdchendertwokatmewmwhiteRayz2016cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    I went to the Software Update preference pane, and I am not seeing it, either.
    edited September 2020 Grayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I think the only issue I still have in Catalina that I can't seem to nail down is Safari will stop loading pages occasionally. Usually easily fixed by  quitting and reopening Safari, but occasionally requires a reboot. Doesn't happen often, but kind of annoying. Anyone else see this? 
    PetrolDaveGrayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    There must be a hardware conditional on this because I don't see this as being available on my Late 2012 iMac or 2014 Mac Mini, both with 10.15.6 (19G2021).

No big deal as both  my iMac and Mini are purring along quite nicely. The Apple cart is rolling along.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Not showing up in Software Update. In every previous instance that I can recall, Apple has also posted the update as a publicly-available standalone updater. Smells like this wasn't verified and both AI & 9to5Mac both jumped on a bogus report -- did anyone from AI independently verify this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Nothing so far for my 16”  2019 MBP. Maybe a regional rollout?
    iloveapplegearwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30
    pyrrho said:
    Not showing up in Software Update. In every previous instance that I can recall, Apple has also posted the update as a publicly-available standalone updater. Smells like this wasn't verified and both AI & 9to5Mac both jumped on a bogus report -- did anyone from AI independently verify this?
    Did you read the forum posts above yours? Link posted.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I think the only issue I still have in Catalina that I can't seem to nail down is Safari will stop loading pages occasionally. Usually easily fixed by  quitting and reopening Safari, but occasionally requires a reboot. Doesn't happen often, but kind of annoying. Anyone else see this? 
    Yes - I have had the same problem, at random times. Opening Brave or Tor browser and the pages will open fine... reboot seems most reliable fix.

Hopefully this update might relate to it - update not available yet, and yes clicked on that link above. I can see the Catalina hyperlink but click on that link and get taken to Beta releases... 
    Grayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    pyrrho said:
    That's a really convoluted series of links:

Land on the News and Updates page

Click the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2531) link, log in with a developer account and land on the Beta Software Downloads page

Click the Release link to switch to the Software Downloads page

Click the Download button next to the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2531) entry to open the App Store to the Catalina full installer.

I'm not interested in doing a clean install right now, so I'll wait for the updater to appear (if it does) on https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads
    edited September 2020 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    pyrrho said:
    Yes. If an OS update is only available on developer.apple.com then it's not a public release -- that is, if it were available. Logged in with my dev account and couldn't find it on either the beta, release or "more" sections. So if it was available on developer, it's been pulled. Both AI & 9to5 claimed this was released (it wasn't, at least not publicly, and as for now not at all), and that it's available via SU, which it isn't.
    edited September 2020 caladanianlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    chasm said:
    ivanh said:
    I have no less than three sets of Bluetooth headphones; Sony MBR-wX770BN over-ear, AKG-Y500 on-ear, and an LG set of earbud-style older ones. All three work fine with both my 2012 MBP running Mojave and my 2019 15-inch i0 MBP running Catalina (not to mention my various iOS devices.

Sounds like the problem is local to you.
    But do you have an iMac 2017?  He said "iMac 2017", not MBP 2012 or MBP 2019.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    pyrrho said:
    That link takes me to some developer betas (Xcode, Metal for Windows, etc). I'm not seeing it Software Update either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    yeah, should have stated "beta". i can see that update as public beta tester...
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I don't have a paid developer account (but I do have a free login) and that link leads me to a page which lists the new build number but it's only a further link to https://developer.apple.com/download/ where the update isn't listed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    ednl said:
    I don't have a paid developer account (but I do have a free login) and that link leads me to a page which lists the new build number but it's only a further link to https://developer.apple.com/download/ where the update isn't listed.
    Same story here. Sorry, Mike W!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    ivanh said:
    You have the most interesting problems that nobody else seems to ever have.
    may be. or just one who voices out. or me solved other problems except those rare happened to others. i’m one of many people insisted Apple slowed down my iPhone 6 Plus. 

i’m using Aftershokz. 3 generations in 4 years all have bluetooth connection problem with iMac. Filed a few cases to Apple, no solution. is it Aftershokz’s problem? could be bad marriage between them. Apple should take a look at the log, they just don’t care.  i said bone conduction tech is good, and people laugh. now Apple is putting their toes in it. facts are facts; facts won’t change because of where you stand.