Inexpensive 'Apple Watch SE' may arrive at Apple's 'Time Flies' event

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2020
A prolific leaker has shared code names and alleged details of a new affordable Apple Watch model, with it possibly arriving at Apple's September 15 "Time Flies" event.

Cheaper Apple Watch coming
Cheaper Apple Watch coming

Jon Prosser may have stated the incorrect launch date for the upcoming "Apple Watch Series 6," but that isn't stopping him from dropping more details before the upcoming Apple event. According to a tweet, there will be two models of Apple Watch launching-- an inexpensive "Apple Watch SE" and an "Apple Watch Pro."

This is what he shared about the budget Apple Watch:

Apple Watch "SE?" (more affordable Apple Watch.)

Codename: N140S
GPS 40mm
Codename: N140B
Cellular 40mm

Codename: N142S
GPS 42mm
Codename: N142B
Cellular 42mm

- Series 4 design
- No always-on display
- No ECG
- M9 chip

Coming at the September 15th "Time Flies" Event.

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

He noted after the initial tweet posted that the 42mm model is in fact a 44mm model. Another follow up tweet described the internal naming of the devices as "Apple Watch" and "Apple Watch Pro," which may be placeholders and not final marketing names.

Rumors about a more affordable Apple Watch have been circulating for months stating a new plastic material would be used to reduce cost. The lack of an always-on display and advanced health features like ECG could further reduce cost.

Software leaks have indicated an upcoming "kid mode" which would alter the Apple Watch experience for children. Parents would be able to purchase the affordable Apple Watch, set it up as a child device on the parent iPhone, and give the child the device with restrictions in place. Such a feature would eliminate the need for an additional iPhone for pairing the watch.

Apple will reveal new products at the September 15 event, and rumors indicate it will be the new "Apple Watch Series 6" and "iPad Air 4." Most publications indicate that Apple will not announce the "iPhone 12" at this event, as the company has already stated that the iPhone launch will be delayed this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Are his sources still not budging? Lol. If there isn’t a cheaper Apple Watch revealed next week will he tweak his narrative again?

I miss the days when there weren’t leaks and things were actually somewhat of a surprise.
    pulseimagesAnilu_777Japheychasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    These specs don’t match what an SE device is supposed to be. What happened to Apple Watch 6 specs in an older design? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I’m very interested in the, what we’ll call the SE for now. Features and price. I’ve been interested in the AW for several years, but just haven’t been able to bring myself to go for it yet, mostly because of the price. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    He can can it an SE but is he not just saying the series 4 will be on offer as a cheaper alternative along side the flagship series 6?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Ugly, made for the sick elderly 
    Grayeaglecornchip
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Are his sources still not budging? Lol. If there isn’t a cheaper Apple Watch revealed next week will he tweak his narrative again?

I miss the days when there weren’t leaks and things were actually somewhat of a surprise.
    When was that?  Rumors and leaks have been around since MacWeek, oh back in the 1990s (and ealier)?  They are essentially the antithesis of Apple keeping things hush hush and top secret, i.e. probably since the beginning... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Rumor is right or wrong but take a deep look at Apple's new thinking. Make premium products at higher price point but also make a model for price sensitive customers( iPhone 11, 2020 SE, 2020 Macbook Air, etc). Isn't Apple said "All Inclusive"
    edited September 2020 Anilu_777Grayeaglemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    DAalseth said:
    I’m very interested in the, what we’ll call the SE for now. Features and price. I’ve been interested in the AW for several years, but just haven’t been able to bring myself to go for it yet, mostly because of the price. 
    I admit I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but I definitely do use it. I have the cellular version with a contract, so that makes it a full fledged phone that I can, and have occasionally, used, even when my phone is nowhere nearby. Surprisingly, it works decently as a phone. It also brought a medical concern to my attention for which I am now being treated. I won't mention what the issue was because I don't want to. But in my case it has paid off. And if Series 6 has an oxygen sensor, as most rumours indicate, it should sell very well because low blood oxygen is one of the leading indicators of COVID. I've already bought a standalone sensor so I manually enter the data into my Health app.

A couple of features I use my Apple Watch for is getting notifications when I get an email. (The first dozen words of the email are displayed.) Sometimes I even read the email on my Watch, and if a reply is brief like "Yes" or "No" I may even reply on my Watch using buttons or voice recognition. I also have a camera and I get notifications (and a picture!!!) when someone drives up my driveway, however this is rather annoying because as of right now you can't create a motion zone in your HomeKit cameras, but I think that's changing in days, so this may get more useful shortly. I also get notifications whenever AppleInsider posts a new article, which I find quite handy. And I'm using it to track several health related items. I think the health items are what's going to keep me using an Apple Watch for the rest of my life.
    edited September 2020 Anilu_777Grayeaglepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32

johnbear said:
    I suppose you object to wheelchairs too. Congratulations on your perfect health (seriously). I envy your health, but I don't envy your lack of empathy.
    edited September 2020 Anilu_777aderutterchiaDogpersonGrayeaglemuthuk_vanalingampscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    johnbear said:
    Odd, because there’s been no pictures. Not in this article or elsewhere. Lot’s of speculation, a few mockups, but really nobody knows what it will look like. So what would make you think it’s ugly? For that matter what would make you think it’s for sick and/or elderly people? Indeed, what would make you think that ugly things are only for the sick and/or elderly? 

Just an odd response.
    Anilu_777SpamSandwichchiaDogpersonright_said_fredGrayeaglemuthuk_vanalingampscooter63robabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    If true, the “low price” model reminds me of the AW Series 1/2 combination. I got the Series 1 as my first AW since I wasn’t sure what I would use it for and the price was right. I liked it and upgraded to the Series 3 cellular. Having a cheaper Series 1 type model again sounds like a good idea. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I too like getting the AppleInsider notifications :)

I am interested in this alleged SE Watch, as it could be a potential purchase for my son.
    However, I don’t think pairing it to a parent’s iPhone is a good idea or useful.
    Don’t most kids have phones these days? Especially when they get to around age 11.

That said, a kid mode ala SceeenTime would be good, i.e. my sons school doesn’t allow smart watches, but if an Apple Watch had a school mode, where it was a watch and only a watch (for telling the time) between specified hours of specified days, then the school might relent.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Honestly, there's really nothing groundbreaking about this. It's exactly what Apple has been doing all along for both iPhone and Apple Watch. They sell previous years models for a lower cost after they have lowered the cost for those components over a year or two worth of sales allowing them to generate a decent margin.

All Prosser is 'leaking' is that they might not refer to it as the Series 4 anymore, but will rebrand it as something new like Apple Watch SE and (maybe) change the exterior material (but probably not).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Elastomer Apple Watch incoming.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    johnbear said:
    Please post the pics that you relied on to determine that its ugly. 
    right_said_fredGrayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    I guess you can look at this as an upgraded Apple Watch 3, new display and interior processor  but no ECG.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I believe, like others here, that Apple needs an Apple Watch that’s inexpensive enough to buy for all your children.
    right_said_fredGrayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 32
    flydog said:
    johnbear said:
    Please post the pics that you relied on to determine that its ugly. 
    Also in response to others, I think johnbear is just trying to be humorous. So has to start off and say that it is ugly. And then it would have been easier to catch the rest of the humor if he/she had said it was for Sick Elderly (SE). At least this is my take on the person's comment. A /s would have made it more obvious.
    edited September 2020 DAalsethGrayeaglepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    DAalseth said:
    Should such a thing actually exist, it sounds very similar to the $160 Series 3 you have been able to get for quite some time now. There's a very low chance of an Apple Watch (even if its just for kids) selling for less than the Series 3 does presently. Again if true, at best the "Watch SE" is a Series 4 with some of the original Series 4's features disabled.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    DAalseth said:
    Should such a thing actually exist, it sounds very similar to the $160 Series 3 you have been able to get for quite some time now. There's a very low chance of an Apple Watch (even if its just for kids) selling for less than the Series 3 does presently. Again if true, at best the "Watch SE" is a Series 4 with some of the original Series 4's features disabled.