Oracle wins TikTok bid prior to impending U.S ban

Posted:
in General Discussion
Oracle appears to be the victor in the bidding war for U.S. operations of TikTok, edging out Microsoft and Walmart just two days before an impending ban.

Oracle becomes TikTok's trusted tech partner
Oracle becomes TikTok's trusted tech partner

The United States government gave Chinese company ByteDance an ultimatum, sell its stateside operations to an American company or be banned on September 15. Multiple companies, including Apple, were in question for the purchase, but ultimately Oracle won out.

On Sunday night, The Wall Street Journal received a report that Oracle had closed the deal only moments after Microsoft announced it had been rejected. The deal does not seem to be an outright purchase of all assets and intellectual property, however. Reportedly, TikTok will consider Oracle a "trusted tech partner."

The sale of TikTok has seen a lot of drama over recent weeks, as TikTok and the U.S. government seemed unable to budge or compromise on negotiations. TikTok sued against the ban order in late August, but due to the time sensitive nature of the event, the action did nothing for their case.

Microsoft and Walmart were discussing a partnership to purchase the company as well. The purchase would have acted as direct competition to Instagram's own shopping network and ad placement.

Ultimately the final deal went to Oracle-- the company known for Java and cloud computing platforms. The details of the deal remain unknown until an official announcement is made by one of the companies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    WTF???????
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 16
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I wonder what this purchase will do to my oracle stock. I can't image a big cash outlay will be good for my portfolio.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mrmacgeek said:
    WTF???????

Oracle becomes a trusted partner and Oracle gets inroads into areas of Asia that it sees necessary to expand its Enterprise Services Hardware/Software solutions.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Without the source code and only the North America market the deal will worth a lot less. Maybe 5 billion tops. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Yikes.....

• Reply 6 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I worked on Oracle many years ago and I can’t for the life of me understand how that company’s database product is as popular as they claim it is.  It’s an over complicated mess.

At least this is a guaranteed way to ensure TikTok will crash and burn.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 7 of 16
    What a joke. 
    Way to piss money down the toilet. This is more a waste of shareholder value than Microsoft buying Nokia. 
    aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I can’t say I’m convinced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Big mistake Larry. TikTok will wither and die in your hands because you don't have access to the Chinese IP, the 'secret sauce'. For someone who made their money out of a few lines of IBM 360 code (or something like that) you have overseen a company that has become almost as hated as Facebook is in the IT world.
    I guess that the new EULA for TikTok will be 500 pages of 5pt comic sans that includes signing away the rights of your unborn children... /s
    Oracle is the devil in disguse. Deals with the devil as many customers and staff have found out to their cost never end well. It is kinda ironic that Oracle's colours are Red. Perfect for the Devil and the PRC.
    {disclaimer. I was a former Oracle 7.3 DBA. That was before I knew better.}
    GeorgeBMacqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Big mistake Larry. TikTok will wither and die in your hands because you don't have access to the Chinese IP, the 'secret sauce'. For someone who made their money out of a few lines of IBM 360 code (or something like that) you have overseen a company that has become almost as hated as Facebook is in the IT world.
    I guess that the new EULA for TikTok will be 500 pages of 5pt comic sans that includes signing away the rights of your unborn children... /s
    Oracle is the devil in disguse. Deals with the devil as many customers and staff have found out to their cost never end well. It is kinda ironic that Oracle's colours are Red. Perfect for the Devil and the PRC.
    I worked for an internet startup that was building a new credit card website.

There were three developers working on the actual site.

And nine DBAs working on the database.

Nine.

Something wasn't right.

The in-house joke was that three of them were working full-time on calculating the Oracle license fees.

GeorgeBMacaderuttermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Oracle is in the top five of companies tracking persons on web. With this merger, or what it is, will attack the top of this ranking.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I worked for an internet startup that was building a new credit card website.

There were three developers working on the actual site.

And nine DBAs working on the database.

Nine.

Something wasn't right.

The in-house joke was that three of them were working full-time on calculating the Oracle license fees.

I’m an IBM guy, but I worked with Oracle a while back.  It was sad... their database product was so bad that I clearly saw why their product required so many people to administer.  It’s a jumbled mess. And their licensing?  To this day it still confuses me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Why is everyone second guessing a guy who built a multi billion dollar fortune out of a “couple lines” of code. Clearly this guy sees an opportunity or something that’s valuable.  

Me personally, I see a headache in the making.  Not to say that there isn’t something valuable burying in this Tiktok sh*t storm. With trump “forcing” the sale and wanting a cut of the sale... also, If anyone looked further, I’d say oracle and Facebook are connected somewhere in the background.  Becuase, I see Tik tok withering swag and dying under oracle seeing as oracle doesn’t appear to have any experience in this market.   

The real question is, what patents possibly come with this sale.  That’s the real reason business make deals like this.  What IP did or does musical.ly/tik tok hold 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    tshapi said:
    Why is everyone second guessing a guy who built a multi billion dollar fortune out of a “couple lines” of code. Clearly this guy sees an opportunity or something that’s valuable.  

Me personally, I see a headache in the making.  Not to say that there isn’t something valuable burying in this Tiktok sh*t storm. With trump “forcing” the sale and wanting a cut of the sale... also, If anyone looked further, I’d say oracle and Facebook are connected somewhere in the background.  Becuase, I see Tik tok withering swag and dying under oracle seeing as oracle doesn’t appear to have any experience in this market.   

The real question is, what patents possibly come with this sale.  That’s the real reason business make deals like this.  What IP did or does musical.ly/tik tok hold 

At this point, Oracle will have no control.   The databases are simply moving from from Google to Oracle.

But that could enable Trump to keep a closer watch on who is doing what on TikTok than he could when the data was on Google servers.   He doesn't want TikTok users to humiliate him again!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tshapi said:

At this point, Oracle will have no control.   The databases are simply moving from from Google to Oracle.

But that could enable Trump to keep a closer watch on who is doing what on TikTok than he could when the data was on Google servers.   He doesn't want TikTok users to humiliate him again!
    With TikTok just last year contractually committing themselves to 3yrs and $800,000 for Google Cloud services, Oracle may be required to eat that too. Ellison would definitely not like the taste. 
    edited September 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Something fishy about this. Ellison is a major donor to a certain current US president. That can’t be a coincidence. Once the current TikTok US base find this out, there’s going to be a huge opportunity for another service to pull those users away.
    GeorgeBMac