Attack of the Clones?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hmm... interesting article at wired.com this morning.

Pizza Box or iMac? No, an iBox

A Minnesota man has plans to launch his own Macintosh-manufacturing business, building a low-cost, upgradeable Mac called the iBox.

John Fraser, a 21-year-old engineer from Chanhassen, Minnesota, is finalizing the design for his flat "pizzabox" Mac and hopes to go into production in three to four months. If successful, Fraser will be the first third party to make a Mac since Apple shut down its three-year experiment in clone licensing in 1997.

It will be interesting to see how Apple deals with this. He's buying parts from suppliers (like OWC), but I'm sure the legal mafia at Apple are already breaking out the ammo.

I know Matsu will be getting his order in early, anyways.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Thinks someone already beat ya to it in FH.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Thinks someone already beat ya to it in FH.

He won't get past the OS license agreement. Best he can do is make a box that's ready to have OS X installed on it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Doh! Never noticed that.

Technically though, it's not future Apple hardware, so this isn't necessarily the wrong place for it...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I'd never do this. I am way to Apple loyal. I don't care if they up prices 200%, I'd stick with um. Clones are for star wars, and Macs come from Apple.

It was always thus, and always thus will be.

- Keating.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I wish they had some pics of his design ideas. I wonder if he is gonna go for something really cool or just have a generic box with the various parts in there?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Sounds like an LC475...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I remember back in the late 80's, computer shopper magazine ran some articles on how to build your own Macintosh. They called it a Hackintosh. They basically told you where to buy surplus parts and how to put it all together.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

I wish they had some pics of his design ideas. I wonder if he is gonna go for something really cool or just have a generic box with the various parts in there?

• Reply 9 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Yeah, it's a definite "designed in AppleWorks" look. But then, I don't think that's too important to the target market. Although they do seem keen to credit the designer...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    All I know is every idiot on Slashdot is going to guy one of these because they're cheap bastards and want to run OS X on their shitty Wal-Mart PCs.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

...every idiot on Slashdot...

Heck, that's everyone. Slashdot was at one time useful. Now it's down town yuppieville. I gave up on them a while back and have never returned....
  • Reply 12 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Oh jesus, don't go and get us Slashdotted. You think the boards get slow sometimes now...

• Reply 13 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, I would love to buy such an "iBox", especially if it had ADC and I could hook it up to a 20-inch Cinema Display. I would probably pay up to $800 for an iBox that had features equivalent to a headless iMac or eMac, more if it had ADC.

I don't need the expansion of a PowerMac. But I want to be able to keep my pretty LCD panel when I upgrade my CPU. Currently, with an all-in-one iMac, Apple forces users to upgrade their CPU and LCD at the same time.

Escher
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I like it. And I think it's a good idea. It's going to introduce normal people to Apple products, I think Apple should support this rather than waige war against it, Especially as people will have to pay for their OS X and iApps, and of course monitor. Just look at the difference the iPod made to people buying Apple.

Andrew