HyperDrive Gen2 18-in-1 USB-C Hub available now

Posted:
in General Discussion
The final model in the Hyperdrive docking station lineup is the Gen2 18-in-1 USB-C Hub, and it is now available for purchase.

The HyperDrive Gen2 18-Port Hub
The HyperDrive Gen2 18-Port Hub

The Gen2 line of HyperDrive hubs double the previous generation's transfer speed and power delivery. Each of the three models are capable of at least 4K60Hz HDR video output. Connectivity includes 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB-A ports, a 300MB/s UHS-II MicroSD/SD 4.0 card reader, and 100W USB-C Power Delivery.

18 Ports

• USB-C Power Delivery 100W
  • USB-A QC 3.0 18W
  • 3X USB-A 10Gbps
  • 2X USB-A 2.0
  • 2X HDMI 4K60Hz HDR
  • MicroSD UHS-II
  • SD UHS-II
  • 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • DisplayPort 4K60Hz
  • DC Power Port
  • Digital Coaxial Audio
  • Optical Toslink Audio
  • VGA
18-ports across the front and back of the HyperDrive Gen2
18-ports across the front and back of the HyperDrive Gen2

Design

The HyperDrive 18-in-1 USB-C Hub has a compact design with all the cable connected ports in the rear and user accessible ports in the front like MicroSD and the headphone jack. The 18-port model weighs only 1.33 lbs and takes up very little surface area at 5.25 inches wide, 3.75 inches deep, and 1.75 inches thick.

The aluminum build with ridges allows for fast heat dissipation so the chassis remains cool to the touch. The hub can stand vertically or lie flat on the table.

The 18-port hub is available at B&H Photo for $199.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Positive - 100W PD.
    Negative - No TB3 options.
    dysamoriapulseimageswatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    No Thunderbolt, no sale.
    dysamoriapulseimagesentropyswatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 3 of 15
    If not for the lack of Thunderbolt 3, I would have said this was the first one of these that is actually priced sanely. All of these things have been stupidly expensive from day one of Thunderbolt and Apple ditching ports on their laptops. 
    svanstrom
  • Reply 4 of 15
    XedXed Posts: 2,561member
    Was anyone really expecting TB3 in this for under $200?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Xed said:
    Was anyone really expecting TB3 in this for under $200?
    Why is Thunderbolt the item that causes the problem? All the chips in there for those formats and TB3 is the roadblock?
    pulseimagesentropys
  • Reply 6 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    At that price it should have thunderbolt.
    And Apple never bothered to write drivers for MST so with USB-c only you can’t run extended desktops with multiple displays. While you can with Windows, in Apple world you need thunderbolt to do that.

So a desktop hub without thunderbolt is OK for Windows users, especially at this price it should be a no for Apple users.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    For the upteenth time, where is a hub with only USB-C ports?????  I don't need USB-A anymore! All my SSD drives are USB-C. All my modern devices rely on USB-C. I don't need USB-A anymore!

watto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Yeah, I've had my TB3 (Caldigit) dock for a few months now and it was $230 at the time. So a $200 price point doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

With that said, I've been really happy with my CalDigit. FAR more reliable (or fewer niggling issues) than my USB-C dock I have and use at home. I mean, the USB-C one does work, but occasionally the ethernet will disappear or USB devices will wig out. Not often, but definitely more than NEVER with my TB3 dock.
    watto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    netrox said:
    For the upteenth time, where is a hub with only USB-C ports?????  I don't need USB-A anymore! All my SSD drives are USB-C. All my modern devices rely on USB-C. I don't need USB-A anymore!

The chipset for (inexpensive) hub and spoke USB-C devices doesn't exist yet. It does in USB4, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    netrox said:
    Given this thing likely lives on your desk with your drives, just use USB-C to -A cables.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I just want one that support Firewire 800. Still have some old enclosures with FW. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    viclauyyc said:
    I just want one that support Firewire 800. Still have some old enclosures with FW. 
    Might as well ask for SCSI Parallel Interface. At a certain point old standards are just left behind.

What's different this time, though, is that those switching completely to USB-C can't seem to buy these kinds of products without legacy ports in them. (If it hadn't been for the extra USB-C ports provided by my monitor I wouldn't be as happy with "upgrading" to USB-C as I currently am.)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    svanstrom said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Might as well ask for SCSI Parallel Interface. At a certain point old standards are just left behind.

What's different this time, though, is that those switching completely to USB-C can't seem to buy these kinds of products without legacy ports in them. (If it hadn't been for the extra USB-C ports provided by my monitor I wouldn't be as happy with "upgrading" to USB-C as I currently am.)
    Agreed - the best option may be to simply get a new enclosure for the drive. I have 4 year old external drive that has USB 2 and FireWire 800 ports. I have a FireWire to thunderbolt (mini display port) adapter that works on my iMac but FireWire adapters are almost impossible to find and the interface is pretty much dead, replaced by thunderbolt and USB 3.

As for the lack of thunderbolt in this hub, if you need the speed of thunderbolt you’re probably best off plugging directly into your Mac and use the hub for everythign else.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    viclauyyc said:
    The last one is the one by OWC. And when they're sold out, they aren't making any more.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    viclauyyc said:
    Holy crap, why? Get modern enclosures with USB 3.