New AirPods firmware enables Spatial Audio, automatic switching

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Using on 11” iPad. At first I thought both iPad speakers and AirPods were both on. It sounded like sound was coming from iPad as I moved my head around but much better sound. Such an amazing improvement in experience. 

Quick switching - about time but most welcome. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Found some movies I bought from Apple with supported audio and it sounded great. Actually, it sounded amazing.  A tad too much base for my taste, but still a great soundstage. Might be the best part of iOS 14 for me (that and PiP on iPhone). 

Pro tip, if you’re watching a video and toggle spatial audio off and back on it will say if the audio source supports it.  Infinity War didn’t, but Wonder Woman and Greatest Showman did. 
    super8seanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 51
    What type of sorcery is this??
    yo! My mind is freaking blown. 
    Special audio is insane. 
    Your brain is like, if I have AirPods on why is the sound coming from the iPad over there?
    I looked left and right and the switching of explosions between each ear was like sorcery!!!!
    I watched the Tom hanks Apple TV war movie and dude!!!
    GAME FREAKING CHANGER! 
    GO BUY AIRPOD PROS NOW!!!

Switching between my iPhone and iPad is effortless too. Just hit play and 1 second later boom!

watto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 24 of 51
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    For me I ended up trying to pair my AirPods Pro and waited 20 minutes with the case open and nothing happened under IOS 13.6. I then decided to update to IOS 13.7 earlier this evening and decided to pair just now with the case open and bam (within a minute or less) I had the latest firmware, 3A283. I think making sure your IOS version is up to date might have something to do with it, at least for me as the update didn't take long to show up.

Hope this helps anyone trying to update their AirPods Pro.

Japheycaladanianwatto_cobraGG1
  • Reply 25 of 51
    I have a question : this article refers to IOS and MacOS to enable the spatial audio feature, but (at least to me), in practice the interest is when watching films from your AppleTV. Has anyone experienced this feature from his AppleTV ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 51
    hydrogen said:
    I have a question : this article refers to IOS and MacOS to enable the spatial audio feature, but (at least to me), in practice the interest is when watching films from your AppleTV. Has anyone experienced this feature from his AppleTV ?
    Doesn’t seem to be available and Apple hasn’t said it would be either as far as I know. A bit of a strange oversight unless their is a technical reason why it isn’t doable. 
    hydrogen
  • Reply 27 of 51
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Well, I've had my iPhone connected to WiFi and my AirPods Pro nearby with the case open all morning and still no update.  First I was charging the phone until it reached 100% and then I started charging the AirPods Pro until they reached 100%, all while the two devices were connected, and still no update.  I guess I'm not one of the "chosen".
    Any suggestions other than trying again tomorrow?
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Special audio is insane. 
    Your brain is like, if I have AirPods on why is the sound coming from the iPad over there?
    I looked left and right and the switching of explosions between each ear was like sorcery!!!!
    GAME FREAKING CHANGER! 

Switching between my iPhone and iPad is effortless too. Just hit play and 1 second later boom!

Very very tempted, but the new studios might be announced tomorrow.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    entropys said:
    Special audio is insane. 
    GAME FREAKING CHANGER! 

Very very tempted, but the new studios might be announced tomorrow.
    Different products IMO.

I have the AirPods Pro, and I also want "AirPods Pro Studio"; with the keyword being "also".

With the AirPods Pro in my pocket I can be out and about with only my Apple Watch; without sacrificing being connected to the world (or a moment of silence/music). Meaning that I can dress nicely without worrying about whether or not my clothes can handle the weight of my bulky "max" phone (or carrying it in my hand the whole evening).

The over-ear option on the other hand, that really give off that "leave me alone"-vibe when out and about; and the fullest sound, while keeping my ears warm at winter.

So, I want both. And I just hope that an amazing transparency mode in the AirPods Studio won't give people the idea that it's ok to talk to me while I have them on.  B)

BTW, am I the only one curious why they don't have the feature to automatically switch to transparency mode whenever you start talking without being in a phone call?
  • Reply 30 of 51
    jdb8167 said:
    Special Audio works really well on my iPad Pro, sort of on my iPhone 11 Pro and from what I can tell, it doesn’t work at all currently on the Apple TV 4K. All with the latest beta software.

Until I tried it on the iPad Pro I was pretty convinced that it didn’t work at all but he effect on the iPad was pretty obvious. I tried again on the iPhone and could hear it but it is very limited in comparison to the iPad Pro. I’m not sure why the effect is different on the two different devices. Trying it on the Apple TV 4K it doesn’t seem implemented at all and there is no way to check to see if there is a special audio setting as far as I can see. Perhaps in a future update. It would be most useful on the Apple TV.

Given the Apple TV 4K is still using the old A10X, I imagine they are holding off for the next gen to enable it. Adds a sales point for upgraders.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    fred1 said:
    Well, I've had my iPhone connected to WiFi and my AirPods Pro nearby with the case open all morning and still no update.  First I was charging the phone until it reached 100% and then I started charging the AirPods Pro until they reached 100%, all while the two devices were connected, and still no update.  I guess I'm not one of the "chosen".

What version of iOS are you running? For me after updating to iOS 13.7 the firmware to my AirPods Pro showed up almost instantly. When on iOS 13.6 I had the same same issue as you, nothing happened for 20 minutes. I don't think you need to be connected to Wi-Fi on your phone. I just did what you did paired my AirPods Pro with my iPhone and left the case open and bam the updated firmware showed up.

Hope this helps.
    spock1234
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Watch for the upgrade to Apple Music today as well, with Dolby Atmos and other surround mixes becoming available. 
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Also, this seems like it would be an indication that the new iPhone will also be announced today. They don't typically roll out the new iOS a month before the phone is announced, and switching spatial audio on for AirPods Pro and iOS 14 right before the big event today surely suggests things will be coming together quickly. Pushing out iOS and new iPads while remaining silent about iPhone for another month would be 1) awkward and 2) iOS 14 available to update existing hardware for weeks before the new phone is even announced would surely cannibalize new phone sales.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:

What version of iOS are you running? For me after updating to iOS 13.7 the firmware to my AirPods Pro showed up almost instantly. When on iOS 13.6 I had the same same issue as you, nothing happened for 20 minutes. I don't think you need to be connected to Wi-Fi on your phone. I just did what you did paired my AirPods Pro with my iPhone and left the case open and bam the updated firmware showed up.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I finally got the update in the afternoon.  Not sure what made the difference, unless it was just a long line of people waiting  :D.  I'm running iOS 13.7.
    I don't see Spatial Audio as an option, but I guess that's only in iOS 14?  
  • Reply 35 of 51
    fred1 said:
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I finally got the update in the afternoon.  Not sure what made the difference, unless it was just a long line of people waiting  :D.  I'm running iOS 13.7.

No problem, glad you got the updated firmware. I didn't see the Spatial Audio option either so assume that's coming with iOS 14. Apple event today, I can't wait!
  • Reply 36 of 51
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:
    Well, I've had my iPhone connected to WiFi and my AirPods Pro nearby ewith the case open all morning and still no update.  First I was charging the phone until it reached 100% and then I started charging the AirPods Pro until they reached 100%, all while the two devices were connected, and still no update.  I guess I'm not one of the "chosen".

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply.

No problem, glad you got the updated firmware. I didn't see the Spatial Audio option either so assume that's coming with iOS 14. Apple event today, I can't wait!
    I sure hope iOS 14 is released today. It would make sense given this software release. I guess we’ll know in 8, no 7 minutes!
  • Reply 37 of 51
    fred1 said:
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:
    Well, I've had my iPhone connected to WiFi and my AirPods Pro nearby ewith the case open all morning and still no update.  First I was charging the phone until it reached 100% and then I started charging the AirPods Pro until they reached 100%, all while the two devices were connected, and still no update.  I guess I'm not one of the "chosen".

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply.

I sure hope iOS 14 is released today. It would make sense given this software release. I guess we’ll know in 8, no 7 minutes!

Looks like iOS 14 is being released tomorrow 9.16.2020. What did you think of the keynote?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Well... I was wrong so far about Atmos and spatial audio formats in Apple Music, but I still think it's coming. Also, no new iPhone in this announcement. I am surprised they're releasing iOS 14 tomorrow without that. Perhaps there will be a point update with the phone release later that unlocks new features.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 39 of 51
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:
    dr. x said:
    fred1 said:

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply.

Looks like iOS 14 is being released tomorrow 9.16.2020. What did you think of the keynote?
    Yes. Excited!
    I liked the keynote, though I could do without all the half-felt “emotion” about the products. Many of these people are highly talented and skilled in their “day jobs”, less so in presenting. 

They must have filmed these at least a month ago seeing as the sky was clear and not full of smoke. 
  • Reply 40 of 51
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    My friggin Pros bricked after the firmware update. Sound only comes out of one pod at a time. It’s always the first one I take out of the case that works while the other is silent. Transparency works on both pods, but sound doesn’t. Has anyone else experienced this?