Apple Fitness+ will offer workouts on any screen

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple has introduced Fitness+, a workout app that combines videos with Apple Watch data to get users healthy.

Launched during the "Time Flies" event, Apple Fitness+ will allow customers equipped with an Apple Watch and another Apple device with a screen to perform guided workouts. Displaying a workout on an iPhone, iPad, or via the Apple TV, the app will monitor the user's workout via sensors on the Apple Watch.

Apple's trainers will provide a series of studio workout videos on a weekly basis, covering a wide variety of workout types, including HIIT, Yoga, and Strength Training.

Data from the Apple Watch will appear on the screen as an overlay, so users will be able to keep track of their progress without needing to look at the Apple Watch. This will include notifications for reaching fitness goals on their rings.

Workout overlay

The data from the Apple Watch will be used to ensure the user is keeping to the current workout, such as making sure the user isn't moving too fast or too slow.

Fitness+ will use a custom recommendation engine that accounts for previously completed workouts. It will then suggest new options that match what a user prefers or suggest a different workout to help maintain a balanced routine. Fitness+ users will also be able to take advantage of an intuitive filtering tool to choose a routine based on workout type, trainer, duration, or music.

Users who also subscribe to Apple Music will be able to save Fitness+ workout playlists for listening to later.

Priced at $9.99 per month, or $79.99 per year, with a 30 day free trial for anyone to try. Those who buy a new Apple Watch Series 3 or later, starting on September 15, 2020, get three months of Fitness+ for free.

Fitness+ requires a user to be wearing an Apple Watch Series 3 or newer, and can be shared with up to five other people in Family Sharing for no additional cost. It is also available to use as part of the new Apple One subscription.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I watched the explanation of this service and I still have no idea what it is.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Seemed evident to me...Workouts with video and music. You've never heard of Peloton and its popular bike & screen that does the same?
    SpamSandwichmartinp13razorpitGG1lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Apple just put millions of gyms and yoga studios out of business permanently.
    edited September 2020 Beatsrazorpituraharalkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Ha! I've been wanting this idea with Watch/AirPods + Apple TV.

Now hoping for a new Apple TV with A14 at least.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35

Add Truedepth camera compatibility with an iDevice or new Apple TV sensor and you may be right.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Why is this service limited to only certain regions?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    The music, I'd guess. Music and entertainment companies have all sorts of regional restrictions for reasons, I guess.
    lolliverSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    The music, I'd guess. Music and entertainment companies have all sorts of regional restrictions for reasons, I guess.

What about language barriers? Maybe they're still translating for other regions?
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    They’re pretty much empty at the moment anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:
    I teach group exercise at a gym.  Most of the classes are being held outside. When I teach there is usually 1 indoor class happening (limited to 13 people) and 2 outdoor classes (limited to 24 each). Judging by the number of cars in the parking lot not very many people are going inside for much beyond the class that’s available. The owners give me very limited insight into what is happening but I know they had a large number of people cancel or freeze their memberships almost immediately after they reopened in July. So, yeah, pretty much empty is likely an accurate assessment.

Fitness+ seems to be launching at the right time. I can’t think of a better time to be starting a service for people who want to exercise at home. I found it interesting that Apple mentioned you can use their workouts while at the gym, though I wonder how many will be paying for a gym membership and Fitness+.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:
    I teach group exercise at a gym.  Most of the classes are being held outside. When I teach there is usually 1 indoor class happening (limited to 13 people) and 2 outdoor classes (limited to 24 each). Judging by the number of cars in the parking lot not very many people are going inside for much beyond the class that’s available. The owners give me very limited insight into what is happening but I know they had a large number of people cancel or freeze their memberships almost immediately after they reopened in July. So, yeah, pretty much empty is likely an accurate assessment.

Fitness+ seems to be launching at the right time. I can’t think of a better time to be starting a service for people who want to exercise at home. I found it interesting that Apple mentioned you can use their workouts while at the gym, though I wonder how many will be paying for a gym membership and Fitness+.
    Lululemon just paid $500 million to acquire the wall-mounted fitness training hardware/service called Mirror. This just destroyed that business model.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    I find it amazing that people pay to work out. I work out for free or worst case, I go to a gym. But if I have a treadmill, I don't need a video to show me how to use it....
    edited September 2020 Ofer
  • Reply 13 of 35
    seankill said:
    I find it amazing that people pay to work out. I work out for free or worst case, I go to a gym. But if I have a treadmill, I don't need a video to show me how to use it....

Some people do. The Apple Watch compatibility is something I've been waiting for just wish they'd integrate the TrueDepth camera system especially for Yoga and stretching.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    I just use the rower setting on the watch, or for strength training the YAYOG workout app... I see no need for a membership plan of any sort,  but I know plenty do.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    This makes me question my Peloton subscription.  Don't get me wrong, I love the bike and the instructors, but this is a quarter the price.  Hell, a year paid in advance is two months on the Peloton.
    edited September 2020 BeatstrumptmanSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    The biggest question I have is that if me and my partner want to workout to the same video at the same time, is that possible? Would it show both of our info on screen? I hope so.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Beats said:

What about language barriers? Maybe they're still translating for other regions?
    Yeah, I'm rather annoyed at this ... plenty of us in Europe would love it, even if only English is available. But I suspect Apple doesn't like the optics of selling this is countries and not supporting the local language. Hopefully they can localise the content quickly, and offer this more widely, but given the track record with Apple News, I'm not holding my breath (different issues though, for Fitness+ Apple is in control of the content).
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Hmmmm ... Seemed pretty clear to me. It didn't require a college degree to understand. I think a GED diploma would give someone the necessary comprehension skills.
    Beatslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    tommikele said:
    Hmmmm ... Seemed pretty clear to me. It didn't require a college degree to understand. I think a GED diploma would give someone the necessary comprehension skills.
    I have a university degree in Computer Science and couldn't understand it at all, so your statement about comprehension skills is incorrect. I have no idea how to sell this service to friends and family even after reading the comments on this thread. People keep talking on this thread about a "Peloton", I presume that's an exercise bike. I first heard about that a few days ago but have absolutely no idea what it offers. Is that a US-only product? And why would anyone pay a monthly fee to ride a bicycle, even if it included music? I think Apple needs to better inform its customers about what this service does.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    tommikele said:
    I have a university degree in Computer Science and couldn't understand it at all, so your statement about comprehension skills is incorrect. I have no idea how to sell this service to friends and family even after reading the comments on this thread. People keep talking on this thread about a "Peloton", I presume that's an exercise bike. I first heard about that a few days ago but have absolutely no idea what it offers. Is that a US-only product? And why would anyone pay a monthly fee to ride a bicycle, even if it included music? I think Apple needs to better inform its customers about what this service does.

It's a fitness service that guides you through exercise with professional coaches and links your Apple Watch for accurate measures of pulse etc.

Some people appreciate the motivation and others see it as having a personal coach on their time.

A "Peloton" is a brand of exercise equipment that also includes a similar service.
    lolliverwatto_cobra