Apple Watch Series 6 kills ceramic Apple Watch Edition material... again

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Apple Watch Series 6 has debuted at Apple's "Time Flies" event, along with new features, and case finishes. However, one on-again, off-again case material was absent.

Ceramic Apple Watch case discontinued in Series 6

Apple has yet again decided to remove the Apple Watch ceramic case option. Ceramic originally debuted with the Apple Watch Series 3, but not included in the Apple Watch Series 4 lineup in 2018.

It was brought back for the Apple Watch Series 5, which raised the price to $1,299 at the cheapest, with a maximum of $1,749. Apple has yet again decided against adding ceramic to the newest Apple Watch lineup.

Apple Watch Series 6 shown in the Apple Watch Studio
Apple Watch Series 6 shown in the Apple Watch Studio

Instead of ceramic, the Apple Watch Series 6 is available in aluminum, stainless steel, and titanium. The aluminum version comes in two new colors -- blue and (PRODUCT)RED.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Wouldn’t mind it if they engineered a Liquid Metal body version to replace the ceramic. Or a transparent diamond case... that would be pretty spectacular.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    The killed off the original deep golden colour of the Watch 4 too. The new gold colour looks cheap by comparison.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    And they made the space black SS (DLC) case exclusive to the Hermes edition. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Wouldn’t mind it if they engineered a Liquid Metal body version to replace the ceramic. Or a transparent diamond case... that would be pretty spectacular.
    I'm a big fan of the natural titanium. It looks great and has been pretty durable but not as durable as the ceramic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I bought one the ceramic watches last year and glad I did.  I had a feeling Apple would pull it sooner or later keeping it a bit elusive. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    That really pisses me off. My first generation ceramic is due for a replacement, but having had the alternatives I would not go back. 

I also specifically am looking for some Series 6 features, so just going for Series 5 would be a waste of money. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Ceramic originally debuted with the Apple Watch Series 3, but not included in the Apple Watch Series 4 lineup in 2018.”
    In fact, the Series 2 was the first Apple Watch with a ceramic case.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I knew that Tim One Less Thing would have a surprise for us at the end
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jdb8167 said:
    I'm a big fan of the natural titanium. It looks great and has been pretty durable but not as durable as the ceramic.
    I want the natural titanium, and I wanted it last year; but not without a matching Milanese loop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    This is a little sad. I love my white series 5. I don’t understand why they cut off some niche products which some people love. Just make them so expensive that you don’t loose money. :neutral: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    svanstrom said:
    jdb8167 said:
    I want the natural titanium, and I wanted it last year; but not without a matching Milanese loop.
    I bought a Milanese loop with the Series 2 stainless steel and vowed never to buy one again because the Milanese actually scratched the heart rate sensor. Not a great design.
    Japhey
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jdb8167 said:
    svanstrom said:
    jdb8167 said:
    I bought a Milanese loop with the Series 2 stainless steel and vowed never to buy one again because the Milanese actually scratched the heart rate sensor. Not a great design.
    Not sure how you managed to do that. I'm 5+ years into having stainless steel watches with the Milanese loop without any problems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Just by having svanstrom said:
    jdb8167 said:
    svanstrom said:
    jdb8167 said:
    Not sure how you managed to do that. I'm 5+ years into having stainless steel watches with the Milanese loop without any problems.
    Just by having the watch rest on top of the loop and apparently rubbing when moved. It was stainless steel black now that I recall with the black Milanese loop. That might make a difference with the DLC coating (I think I remember that on the SS Black Milanese Loop). It was a long time ago so perhaps Apple has fixed that problem. But I would still be wary.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    It's a little known fact that ceramic is incompatible with even numbers
    Japheyrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    jdb8167 said:
    Just by having svanstrom said:
    jdb8167 said:
    svanstrom said:
    jdb8167 said:
    Just by having the watch rest on top of the loop and apparently rubbing when moved. It was stainless steel black now that I recall with the black Milanese loop. That might make a difference with the DLC coating (I think I remember that on the SS Black Milanese Loop). It was a long time ago so perhaps Apple has fixed that problem. But I would still be wary.
    Thinking about it…

My loop (no coating) has almost never had a chance to touch the glass; I either use the watch, or I charge it.

However, I think we would have heard about it if your problem was a common one. Did you do anything potentially different with yours? Maybe keeping it in your pocket a lot, while moving around?
    watto_cobra