New Apple Watch Series 6 has blood oxygen sensor & bright new colors

Comments

• Reply 61 of 160
    JinTech said:
    supadav03 said:
    My Series 3 broke about 2 months ago and I’ve really missed having access to my Apple Watch daily. I upgraded to the Series 3 from Series 0 and it made me love my Ape Watch. This is perfect timing for me. I need a new watch & my birthday is in October. Going to have to splurge on myself for the Series 6 LTE. 
    My birthday is in October as well and plan on getting one of these for a birthday present to self!
    You can also buy something in January as a "conception day present" to yourself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 160
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    My standalone pulse oximeter takes only 5 seconds to get a reading, while Apple's takes 30 seconds. Although I wouldn't have to manually enter my SpO2 reading into the iOS health app each time I take a reading. Still, 30 seconds is a disappointment. I'm not an Apple hater, I'm allowed to point out negatives like this however.

I suspect Apple has erred on the side of better accuracy and caution, since these days a bad reading can send people straight to the hospital screaming they have COVID.

I thought they said the reading took 15 seconds but I could well be misremembering. Also, I daresay your standalone unit is just a bit bigger than an Apple Watch. :)
    anantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 63 of 160
    dtidmore said:
    The black SS DLC is STILL available, but they have made it exclusive the Hermes edition.  The cheapest version is now just pennies under $1300.  I have purchased the black SS every year since series 0 and was really bummed by the move.  I debated not messing with the Series 6 but decided to try the space black titanium case as it should still match my original series 0 black stainless link band and all the other bands that I have collected over these years.
    On the Apple Watch comparison page, they say the stainless steel "graphite" finish is diamond-like carbon. I would look at it in person. Might just be a new name, or it might be a slightly different color. The space black steel watch never quite matched the finish on the black link bracelet, but it was always close enough not to matter too much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 160
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    Blood oxygen levels are also useful for those with worsening COVID19 cases. Not sure if Apple's works like finger pulse oximeters, but those can be used to tell you when to go in to a hospital for oxygen treatment (my brother and his wife had COVID bad and had to do this, the treatment saved their lives):

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/aug/can-an-oximeter-help-detect-covid-19-at-home/
    Hopefully Tim will give his friend Donald Trump on of these.
    Give it a rest, dumbass.
    He can give Biden one too.   Just as long as people believe that the watch is as good as a Covid test.
  • Reply 65 of 160
    chasm said:
    My standalone pulse oximeter takes only 5 seconds to get a reading, while Apple's takes 30 seconds. Although I wouldn't have to manually enter my SpO2 reading into the iOS health app each time I take a reading. Still, 30 seconds is a disappointment. I'm not an Apple hater, I'm allowed to point out negatives like this however.

I suspect Apple has erred on the side of better accuracy and caution, since these days a bad reading can send people straight to the hospital screaming they have COVID.

I thought they said the reading took 15 seconds but I could well be misremembering. Also, I daresay your standalone unit is just a bit bigger than an Apple Watch. :)
    Dang, 15 seconds was right. So sorry. Do I need to go win a Darwin Award for being wrong once in my life? I guess I was so used to the 30 second ECG feature that that's why I was wrong.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 66 of 160
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    chasm said:

Yep. It's conceivable that it might be a tad more difficut to get a reading from the top of the wrist than the finger tip.

lolliverentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 160
    Anyone see showing their Series 6 wont be here until Sept. 29? WTF? I literally was refreshing the store like a madman and I just got a 44mm aluminum with sport band, nothing exotic. Why will it not be delivering on Friday like every other day one Apple Store purchase I make? This has never happened before. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    johnbear said:
    Too bad they still use that ugly baby toy design. But I guess it’s targeted towards elderly as a survival device so it can look like crap 
    I guess it’s too bad that you have no taste for the design which has been praised in the watch magazines and has won several design awards.
    StrangeDaysBeatsmike1watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 69 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

15 seconds, not 30. The ones in the hospital I was in when I had my heart problem two years ago took at least 10 seconds.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 160
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,334member
    My Apple Watch 5 is less than a year old and I'm tempted to upgrade to get the blood oxygen sensor.

Question: The article above mentions "sleep apnea" but the demonstrations of the oxygen sensor shown in the video today make the oxygen sensing feature look like an interactive process. This alone wouldn't really do much for sleep apnea sufferers because the greatest threat occurs when they are asleep. To be truly effective for sleep apnea detection the oxygen measurement should take place periodically and whenever the device detects the user has suddenly stopped breathing, is snoring, or is gasping for air. I didn't see anything in the video that talked about how this new sensor would potentially be employed for sleep apnea detection and monitoring.

Like everything else health related on the Apple Watch, it is not a substitute for the advanced diagnostics that are performed in a clinical setting under the care of a doctor or medical professionals. But it is a tool that can be used to alert you to a potential issue that requires further attention by a medical professional. I'm wondering how this model applies to the detection and treatment of sleep apnea used in conjunction with the Apple Watch 6.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 71 of 160
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Be nice, people.  Stay civil.   

I like the blue.  I will NEVER buy the Stainless again.  The screen being sapphire isn't worth the scratch resistance (to me).

20% faster means the 6 is still only 20% faster than the 5 and the 4 (without the always one screen), so I will probably update the OS on my 4.

I don't mind the form factor staying the same.  I think they have a timeless design.  The watch faces make it look new.  

Want yours to feel new?  Change watch faces.
    patchythepirateJFC_PA
  • Reply 72 of 160
    kkqd1337 said:
    why oh why wont they make a thinner watch?

i dont want or need an o2 sensor 

Cost/Benefits don't merit it.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 73 of 160
    melgross said:

iOS_Guy80 said:
    I am getting it no matter what (part of the every-other-year cycle). But I really wanted a battery life metric. Also, WTF was the lady talking about with “no power adapter”?
    Rumor has it that there will be no charging adaptor in the new iPhones, so possibly no charging adaptor in the Watch Series 6, if so they still would have to include (I assume) the charging “puck”.
    That’s what they said.

this is something being pushed by the EU. For several years, Apple has had a running battle with them about charging connectors. The EU doesn’t want manufacturers giving chargers away with watches, phones, tablets, and possibly, laptops and other mobile devices. The EU has wanted Apple to change the input socket on their devices to “standard” charging sockets, which for a long time has been, and still is on my Beats Studio 3 phones, micro USB. Now, USB 3 is superseding that, thank heavens. But I don’t know what’s going to happen long term. They passed the law a year ago, or so. I don’t know if Apple is the first to adhere to it or not. I suppose we’ll find out when other manufacturers come out with new products.

If you're referring to this law planned in late January 2020 I'm not sure it's been implemented yet...

One interesting point...

'ensure that consumers are no longer obliged to buy new chargers with each new device: strategies to decouple the purchase of chargers from the purchase of new devices should be introduced with a common charger solution, MEPs say, stressing however that “any measure aiming at decoupling should avoid potentially higher prices for consumers”'.

This would indicate that Apple should (possibly) provide a charger free of charge for EU users who request one. Seems a fair compromise.   
  • Reply 74 of 160
    eriamjh said:
    I like the blue.  I will NEVER buy the Stainless again.  The screen being sapphire isn't worth the scratch resistance (to me).
    Funny, I like the stainless steel and scratch-free display so much I won't get one without.
    dewmeanantksundaramJFC_PA
  • Reply 75 of 160
    jblank said:
    Anyone see showing their Series 6 wont be here until Sept. 29? WTF? I literally was refreshing the store like a madman and I just got a 44mm aluminum with sport band, nothing exotic. Why will it not be delivering on Friday like every other day one Apple Store purchase I make? This has never happened before. 
    Sometimes it is the band that delays shipping. But I doubt it in the case of the sport band. Maybe check the shipping with one of the new bands to see if they are more stocked just in case.
  • Reply 76 of 160
    dewme said:
    My Apple Watch 5 is less than a year old and I'm tempted to upgrade to get the blood oxygen sensor.

Question: The article above mentions "sleep apnea" but the demonstrations of the oxygen sensor shown in the video today make the oxygen sensing feature look like an interactive process. This alone wouldn't really do much for sleep apnea sufferers because the greatest threat occurs when they are asleep. To be truly effective for sleep apnea detection the oxygen measurement should take place periodically and whenever the device detects the user has suddenly stopped breathing, is snoring, or is gasping for air. I didn't see anything in the video that talked about how this new sensor would potentially be employed for sleep apnea detection and monitoring.

Like everything else health related on the Apple Watch, it is not a substitute for the advanced diagnostics that are performed in a clinical setting under the care of a doctor or medical professionals. But it is a tool that can be used to alert you to a potential issue that requires further attention by a medical professional. I'm wondering how this model applies to the detection and treatment of sleep apnea used in conjunction with the Apple Watch 6.
    Fair points. I guess we'll have to wait for more details how this can be used to help with apnoeas. I don't think it's going to wake you up if it detects an apnoea, but it certainly could run while you sleep and record data. However many people with apnoeas already have CPAP machines which have extremely accurate apnoea reports so the Watch would be a step down from those reports. CPAP machines directly record your breathing, they do not indirectly record it through blood oxygen measurements. Apple bought Beddit a few years ago which DOES record breathing, and I've been expecting that to be rebranded as an Apple product for years now. But it hasn't.
  • Reply 77 of 160
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    From the Apple website:

"There’s a face for that. Now you can easily discover and share custom faces for whoever you are and whatever you’re into — with all the information that matters most all in one place. Find your favorites on the App Store, the web, or social media."

Guys, is this new? I remember people asking for this feature since the first Apple Watch. Faces downloaded from App Store and most likely allowing us to create them and share.

Disregard if this isn't news.
  • Reply 78 of 160
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    They briefly mentioned Covid-19. How accurate is this for DETECTING a new infection in users? I'm guessing they would have drove that point home if it were accurate.
    Low blood oxygen isn’t only related to COVID-19, they started on this feature long before that was even a thing. Not to mention FDA regulations, you can’t “detect” a virus based on a singular symptom.

I figured. Just thought Tim Cook would go overdrive on engineering to get it on the market ASAP.

The FDA would definitely hate any "detection" but I thought they could alert you on the possibility like a notification saying "You are showing symptoms of Covid-19. Tap here for details and recommended measures to take" To avoid violating laws.
    That statement would be illegal. You cannot allow people to self diagnose disease with consumer electronics. Not sure how else to explain this. 

How is that a diagnosis?
  • Reply 79 of 160
    johnbear said:
    Too bad they still use that ugly baby toy design. But I guess it’s targeted towards elderly as a survival device so it can look like crap 
    Nobody cares what you think. 
    JFC_PAStrangeDays
  • Reply 80 of 160
    dewme said:

Watch it again. They said it would take background readings throughout the day. 

I’m upgrading from my 3 partially because I’m curious about sleep apnea. I just haven’t been able to figure if I want the new silicone loop or just the original sport band. 
    lolliverrandominternetpersontmayStrangeDays