Spotify says Apple One bundle is a 'threat to collective freedom' [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Spotify released a public statement after Apple's Time Flies event to protest the newly announced Apple One bundle, stating it "threatens our collective freedoms to listen, learn, create, and connect."

Apple Music vs Spotify
Apple Music vs Spotify

Apple on Tuesday announced a new services bundle with multiple tiers in order to help customers save on Apple subscription services. Moving the target from Spotify's previous statement about Apple's dominance somewhat, the company told AppleInsider and other venues that the bundle is an abuse of Apple's dominant market position.
Once again, Apple is using its dominant position and unfair practices to disadvantage competitors and deprive consumers by favoring its own services. We call on competition authorities to act urgently to restrict Apple's anti-competitive behavior, which if left unchecked, will cause irreparable harm to the developer community and threaten our collective freedoms to listen, learn, create, and connect.
The new complaint comes after months of antitrust accusations and litigation against Apple, and Spotify is one of the earliest to discuss the matter. Spotify themselves launched an anti-competitive suite against Apple in March 2019 in the EU as well.

Apple responded to Spotify's allegations in a statement to Reuters reporter Stephen Nellis.
Customers can discover and enjoy alternatives to every one of Apple's services. We're introducing Apple One because it is a great value for customers and a simple way to access the full range of Apple's subscription services. We'll be recommending the Apple One plan that saves you the most money based on the subsriptions you already have. It's perfect for anyone who loves any of our services and wants to get more for less, and it's especially great for families. Also select services included in Apple One are availbel to enjoy on non-Apple devices, and you can cancel anytime.
It is unlikely such a statement would hold up in court, as Apple offers bundles and discounts to its competitors as well. Most recently Apple launched a discount bundle of Showtime and CBS All Access for $9.99 to all Apple TV+ subscribers.

Updated with statement from Apple

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Not this shi**y company again.....

Apple can't do anything good without Spotify feeling threatened.

"irreparable harm"

Oh goodness, they've had conversations with Epic.
    edited September 2020 aderuttertmayronnagilealtitudelolliverbshankBart Ypscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Apple releases a bundle to attract more customers. Oh my God! It’s the end of Spotify were to greedy to lower or prices in competition!  
    Beatsmike1bshanktmayronnlolliverBart Ywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 54
    ummm...sorry Spotify....

apple offering a bundle does not prevent you from offering your services to iPhone users!   They are not blocking you!

Whining about this is like HBO complaining if Spectrum offers a cable bundle without HBO included...

How about this?  why not expand your services?   or partner with other services and offer a competitive bundle?

But you have no grounds to whine about this!
    mike1bshankaderuttertmaydysamoriaronnlolliverLevel40urBart Yviclauyyc
  • Reply 4 of 54
    It's simple, Spotify knows this is a dagger to its future. They will have to lower prices to compete. 
    edited September 2020 BeatsronnlolliverBart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 54
    tshapi said:
    Apple releases a bundle to attract more customers. Oh my God! It’s the end of Spotify were to greedy to lower or prices in competition!  

Given the state of Spotify profits, saying they are greedy would be pushing it... Most of their costs are licensing costs to the music industry (around 75%), so they're not free to lower it either.

Using a dominant position in one market to gain market share in another is usually considered bad - in particular, I guess bundling it with iCloud storage. If they just bundled it with AppleTV+ I don't think Spotify (or customers) would care.
    tmaymuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Diversify your bonds…can't keep playing that same old tune forever. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 54
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    I think it's more of a threat to Spotify's collective profits. Hard to see how a bundle of previously available services is suddenly different than they were before. After all, isn't that what free enterprise and competition is about? Better service at a lower price for consumers.
    ronnplastico23Bart Yviclauyycwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Once again, Apple is using its dominant position and unfair practices to disadvantage competitors and deprive consumers by favoring its own services. We call on competition authorities to act urgently to restrict Apple's anti-competitive behavior, which if left unchecked, will cause irreparable harm to the developer community and threaten our collective freedoms to listen, learn, create, and connect.

Definition of hyperbole

: extravagant exaggeration

tmayronnStrangeDaysanomecy_starkmanlolliverplastico23bshankBart Ypscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Ok, the developer drama queens have officially jumped the shark. This is getting ridiculous. 
    bshankBeatsdysamoriaronnStrangeDayslolliverp-dogplastico23Bart Yviclauyyc
  • Reply 10 of 54
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 75unconfirmed, member
    Yeah I don’t see how any regulator could oppose the consumer getting a great deal. This is free and open market manifest. 
    tmayronnStrangeDaysp-dogfred1Bart Yviclauyycwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 54
    I wish Daniel Ek would just go away
    BeatsronnBart Yviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Other app developers do this sort of bundling all the time (eg. Readdle, Adobe, Microsoft, etc.) what’s stopping Spotify from doing something similar through research and development of other complementary ancillary services and offering a bundled offering?
    BeatsronnStrangeDayslolliverp-dogBart Yviclauyycpscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 54
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Apple's offering is definitely bad news for Spotify. Oh well, business is business.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Since when did businesses becomes cry babies? 
    StrangeDayslolliverp-dogfred1viclauyycpscooter63igorskywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Sadly, I subscribe to both Spotify and Apple Music.  I need Spotify since it runs natively in Telsa's entertainment system.  If only Tesla had CarPlay...
    MplsPBart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 54
    xyzzy01 said:
    tshapi said:

Given the state of Spotify profits, saying they are greedy would be pushing it... Most of their costs are licensing costs to the music industry (around 75%), so they're not free to lower it either.

Using a dominant position in one market to gain market share in another is usually considered bad - in particular, I guess bundling it with iCloud storage. If they just bundled it with AppleTV+ I don't think Spotify (or customers) would care.
    Wait, so it's "bad" for Apple to offer me a bundled price for services I already have and use?

How is it different from Comcast offering Home Phone and Home Security services in their Triple Play packages?
    edited September 2020 tmayronnlolliverp-dogBart Ypscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 54
    "Collective Freedom"... hey, is that the new politically correct term instead of the age-old term "Personal Freedom?" Are collective freedoms different from personal freedoms? It sounds like "collective freedoms" might be used in collectives or in communist countries. I think Kim Jong Un should use that term to describe his own people's freedoms. Let me write a Haiku to reflect Spotify's position:

Apple Computers -
    the taker of all Freedoms.
    #FreeSpotifyNow

mike1leehericksJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 54
    The Guy has lost it... Ludicrous Rant... none stop!
    BeatsStrangeDayslolliverBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Since Wall Street got its bailout and left Main Street holding the bag?
    dysamoriawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Since Wall Street got its bailout and left Main Street holding the bag?
    dysamoriawilliamlondontobybeaglewatto_cobra