Apple mocked for Apple Watch 'Deployment Buckle' gaffe

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2020
Watch aficionados are pointing out an apparent blunder in Apple branding that mislabels, and mistranslates, a well-known clasp type as a "Deployment Buckle."

As noted in a tongue-in-cheek takedown from Gizmodo, Apple is marketing an Apple Watch Hermes strap as "Leather Single Tour Deployment Buckle," when the accepted nomenclature is "deployant clasp."

The misidentification appears to be a simple mistake, as the French word from which deployant is derived is indeed related to "deployment." Deployer means to "unfold" or "spread open," not "deploy," reporter John Biggs notes.

Like its name implies, deployant clasps are mechanisms that spread apart at a hinge to elongate an attached wrist strap, opening enough to slide over a user's hand. When the watch is in place on the wrist, the hinge is closed, tightening the strap to a wearer's liking.

While not a particularly offensive error, referencing the Hermes' Single Tour strap accessory as including a "deployment buckle" is likely to raise the eyebrows of potential buyers. After all, those in the market for a $1,250-plus Apple Watch designed in collaboration with Hermes -- or a $540 standalone strap -- are perhaps more likely to be familiar with the correct terminology.

Even Apple can get high fashion wrong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Oh brother... 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    This would never have happened under Jony Ive 
    doozydozenanantksundaramHi.Jackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    We have nothing else to worry about? 
    lkruppHi.Jackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Sacré Bleu!
    caladaniandoozydozenanantksundaramstompymac daddy zeeHi.Jackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    The sky is falling.…
    mac daddy zeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Desperate. Clearly no real issues to troll Apple with.
    lkruppBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    JESUS WEPT!!

SELL!! SELL!! SELL!!

🙄
    StrangeDaysmac daddy zeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    It’s OK. Even watch nerds mix the two words.
    Beatsmac daddy zee
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Um, it is a deployment buckle, did anyone look at the description and photos of the bands? The Hermes bands have a traditional buckle and also a deployment version which pretty slick. Maybe they played with words, but deployment is appropriate imo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    It has been described that way since it was first deployed.
    edited September 2020 SpamSandwichBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    spheric said:
    This would never have happened under Jony Ive 

Or Steve. LOL
    anantksundaramBeatsmac daddy zeeHi.Jackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    This all happened before, to quote one well-regarded opinionator. Apple made the same mistake when that type of Hermes strap first launched, years back. Ah well, nobody’s perfect. A fine strap, though, and I am sure the deployant clasp is a marvel of engineering.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    A bunch of jealous nerds nitpicking in typical anti-Apple style.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    It’s a buckle. Aficionados may turn their nose up and sneer. But as far as I’m concern, Apple can call it whatever they want to. There’s a reason why traditional watches have stagnated and catering to “aficionados” to please them may be part of it. 
    SpamSandwich13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Trivial details and if it works in English, it doesn't matter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    It’s a buckle. Aficionados may turn their nose up and sneer. But as far as I’m concern, Apple can call it whatever they want to. There’s a reason why traditional watches have stagnated and catering to “aficionados” to please them may be part of it. 
    I guess I run in the wrong crowd if I'm expected to know that deployment instead of deployent is so egregiously gauche and déclassé.
    But I'll manage my despair.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    There’s a reason why traditional watches have stagnated and catering to “aficionados” to please them may be part of it. 
    Yeah, meanwhile in the “traditional” watch world, Rolex’s latest releases already have 2 year waiting lists or are available from your friendly grey dealer for 2x MSRP...