Apple has sold a total of 500 million iPads in the last 10 years

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple has sold more than 500 million iPads in the decade since it debuted its very first tablet, marking the first time it has revealed iPad sales numbers in two years.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Tim Cook made that announcement during Apple's "Time Flies" event on Tuesday. It's the first real confirmation of iPad sales since Apple stopped reporting individual unit sales in November 2018.

On Tuesday, Cook revealed the hard numbers ahead of Apple's announcement of new 10.2-inch iPad and iPad Air models. He also added that 52% of customers were new to the iPad, and that the tablet lineup was ranked first among competitors in customer satisfaction.

Late Apple cofounder and CEO Steve Jobs announced the company's very first tablet in January 2010 ahead of an April launch.

The device, which weighed 1.5 pounds, was described as "way better than a laptop, way better than a phone" at the time. It pack an 1GHz Apple A4 processor, a 9.7-inch display, and up to 64GB of built-in storage. It received mostly positive reviews after its debut.

Since then, the iPad has seen its share of ups and downs. Since 2018, sales of the tablet have been on the decline, though in 2020, the rise of remote learning and work during coronavirus pandemic has given the lineup a tailwind.

On Tuesday, Apple refreshed the iPad Air by bringing a suite of "iPad Pro" features to the product, including a 10.9-inch LCD display with slimmer bezels; a USB-C connector; a Touch ID sensor built into the power button; and an all-new A14 Bionic chipset based on a 5nm production process. The lower-cost iPad also received an update with the 8th-generation, bringing an A12 Bionic CPU.

Earlier in 2020, Apple refreshed its iPad Pro lineup with new LiDAR capabilities and a Magic Keyboard with Trackpad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple is killing it.

iPad Air was really the star of the show. I don't think anyone expected it to be that nice. And A14 before iPhone? wow.

In my opinion the new iPad put the nail in the coffin for knockoffs. The price may still be too steep for some. Had Apple announced a $199 version, like an "SE" for education, that would have been the end of Chromebooks and knockoffs in the classroom. Doesn't need the latest anything since it's for kids and education purposes only. Add in bright colors. I'm assuming the older versions will still be available for cheaper? Still, announcements and focus gt people excited.
    jdb8167aderuttermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Beats said:
    Apple is killing it.

iPad Air was really the star of the show. I don't think anyone expected it to be that nice. And A14 before iPhone? wow.

In my opinion the new iPad put the nail in the coffin for knockoffs. The price may still be too steep for some. Had Apple announced a $199 version, like an "SE" for education, that would have been the end of Chromebooks and knockoffs in the classroom. Doesn't need the latest anything since it's for kids and education purposes only. Add in bright colors. I'm assuming the older versions will still be available for cheaper? Still, announcements and focus gt people excited.
    Are there any knockoff tablets even in use in quantity today?  I see all iPads everywhere (U.S.) and only rarely, I may see that one bastard-child of an Android tablet.

It's really embarrassing how the "competitors" are in this market segment.
    Beatstmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    With the iPad grabbing most of the features of the iPad Pro...my gawd...where does the Pro go??!!
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sflocal said:
    Beats said:
    Apple is killing it.

Are there any knockoff tablets even in use in quantity today?  I see all iPads everywhere (U.S.) and only rarely, I may see that one bastard-child of an Android tablet.

Someone on twitter said there isn’t a tablet market, just an iPad market; Apple is in competition with itself
    Beatstmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    With the iPad grabbing most of the features of the iPad Pro...my gawd...where does the Pro go??!!
    Beyond the A14X, the miniLED display would be one significant upgrade vs the Air.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sflocal said:
    Beats said:
    Apple is killing it.

Yes. Cheapo business owners will use them for food delivery services and sometimes for their employees. Sometimes when I rode the bus I'd see a crappy knockoff being used by some kid. Amazon Fires are popular enough to be "competitors".

I really don't think Apple should have mentioned other tablets as it gives them validation but they most likely did it to drive the point that their 2 year old chip is 2 years+ ahead of the closest competitor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Beyond the A14X, the miniLED display would be one significant upgrade vs the Air.

That wouldn't be enough. I was surprised Apple didn't announce a new Pencil.

I can't think of a real reason to upgrade at this moment.

Rayz2016 said:
    sflocal said:
    Beats said:
    Apple is killing it.

Someone on twitter said there isn’t a tablet market, just an iPad market; Apple is in competition with itself

This debunks the "but competition is good!" myth from the usual iKnockoff crowd as Apple didn't stagnate with iPod and they aren't doing it with iPad. Looks like Watch will also be in competition with itself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    When the first iPad came to the market, the reviews were not that positive. They mostly said it was an oversized iPhone and they even made fun of the name referencing femenine hygiene products. Only knowledgeable Apple commentators like Walter Mossberg saw the iPad's potential. It was the 3rd version of the iPad, with better camera and more mature iPad specific software that it really took off. It has become a rule of thumb that if a new Apple product comes out to great reviews, it may be a flop! Almost every successful Apple product has come to negative to lukewarm reviews.
    Beatschasmviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    sflocal said:

Yes, Samsung tablets are still reasonably popular, though getting less so as they creep much closer to the base iPad price -- and people can visually see the huge difference in quality (screen, sound, speed, fit and finish, etc) right in the stores that sell both.

All and I do mean all sub-$200 Android tablets are worthless junk that will be tossed within the year. I get that some people want a tablet that complements their Android phone, I really do -- but for a good one you are likely to spend the same amount as an iPad, and the current best one is probably the new Surface Duo (which is $1400 ...).
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member

They are pretty close, but even the new (nifty) Touch ID on the Air is no match in speed for FaceID (when not wearing a mask I mean), there's four speakers on the Pro versus two on the Air, and still (I believe) a more powerful (overall) processor on the iPad Pros than on the iPad Air, but yeah ... I'm very much expecting an iPad Pro update in the first half of next year.

Also, I love how the new iPad Air is JUST close enough in style and size to compare, but NOT close enough in size/camera config that an 11-inch iPad Pro case or screen protector will fit it. WELL DONE, APPLE! :lol:

But seriously ... 500M iPads sold in 10 years is amazing! I'll bet it won't take that long to sell 500M more ...
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    chasm said:

They are pretty close, but even the new (nifty) Touch ID on the Air is no match in speed for FaceID (when not wearing a mask I mean), there's four speakers on the Pro versus two on the Air, and still (I believe) a more powerful (overall) processor on the iPad Pros than on the iPad Air, but yeah ... I'm very much expecting an iPad Pro update in the first half of next year.

Also, I love how the new iPad Air is JUST close enough in style and size to compare, but NOT close enough in size/camera config that an 11-inch iPad Pro case or screen protector will fit it. WELL DONE, APPLE! :lol:

But seriously ... 500M iPads sold in 10 years is amazing! I'll bet it won't take that long to sell 500M more …
    Amazing for "just a large iPhone" that "isn't a real computer."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    When the first iPad came to the market, the reviews were not that positive. They mostly said it was an oversized iPhone and they even made fun of the name referencing femenine hygiene products. Only knowledgeable Apple commentators like Walter Mossberg saw the iPad's potential. It was the 3rd version of the iPad, with better camera and more mature iPad specific software that it really took off. It has become a rule of thumb that if a new Apple product comes out to great reviews, it may be a flop! Almost every successful Apple product has come to negative to lukewarm reviews.
    No, you’re misremembering. The reviews were good, only hater incels brought up feminine hygiene products or mused it was just a big phone. The reviews were generally favorable as its value proposition was immediately obvious. Got one Day 1, with keyboard dock. 
    edited September 2020 muthuk_vanalingamtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    There are 3 iPad in my house alone. I just got my wife a iPad Air 2 couple months ago. I should just wait a few more months..,,
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15

This is absurd.

1. Android has 65% of the tablet market.
    2. Samsung alone sells more tablets each year than Apple sells Macs. Not just MacBooks. Macs.

The people who proclaim "Android tablets are dead" are the same folks who only use iPhones and have everyone they know on iMessage. They have no clue about the actual tech market, especially outside the United States. 

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-biggest-android-tablet-brand-worldwide-q4-2019/

And no, a $199 tablet wouldn't "kill Chromebooks". First off, lots of Chromebooks still cost less than $199. Second, you would still need a keyboard and trackpad so that cost would be $270. A ruggedized case - which Chromebooks for education generally have for obvious reasons - puts it up to like $350. And that still doesn't address the need for management software that can be handled by non-technical personnel, which ChromeOS for Education provides.

I wish Apple folks would quit it with "people don't buy Apple solely because they are cheap" nonsense. The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 2 costs $2000 ... and yes people are buying it. Folks buy Android phones, Android tablets, Chromebooks etc. because they like the products and the platform

There is a big world out there filled with different people who like different things. I would think that Apple fans in particular should be able to appreciate this, because wanting and liking something different was the only reason why Apple survived at all from 1995-2007 when Wintel was dominant.

edited September 2020
  • Reply 15 of 15
    cloudguy said:

This is absurd.

1. Android has 65% of the tablet market.
    2. Samsung alone sells more tablets each year than Apple sells Macs. Not just MacBooks. Macs.

The people who proclaim "Android tablets are dead" are the same folks who only use iPhones and have everyone they know on iMessage. They have no clue about the actual tech market, especially outside the United States. 

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-biggest-android-tablet-brand-worldwide-q4-2019/

And no, a $199 tablet wouldn't "kill Chromebooks". First off, lots of Chromebooks still cost less than $199. Second, you would still need a keyboard and trackpad so that cost would be $270. A ruggedized case - which Chromebooks for education generally have for obvious reasons - puts it up to like $350. And that still doesn't address the need for management software that can be handled by non-technical personnel, which ChromeOS for Education provides.

I wish Apple folks would quit it with "people don't buy Apple solely because they are cheap" nonsense. The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 2 costs $2000 ... and yes people are buying it. Folks buy Android phones, Android tablets, Chromebooks etc. because they like the products and the platform

There is a big world out there filled with different people who like different things. I would think that Apple fans in particular should be able to appreciate this, because wanting and liking something different was the only reason why Apple survived at all from 1995-2007 when Wintel was dominant.

I am an Android fan and I don't agree with you at all. 65% market share in overall tablet market? Ok, how about market share of Android tablets in segment > $300? iPads are better compared to Android tablets for multiple reasons.

1. Raw performance - In each price segment ($300 - $500, $500-$750, >$750), you can take ANY tablet from Android (from ANY known brand OEM) and compare it against similarly priced iPad. Each and every time, the iPad comes out on top by a huge margin.

2. Display - The display quality in each price segment is better in iPad Vs similarly priced Android tablets (except the Samsung's highest end OLED display tablets)

3. Value for money - Considering the performance/display quality and other aspects of the tablet, iPads are fairly priced and provide a much better value for money at each price segment when compared to Android tablets of same price range. Apple is passing the benefits of economies of scale to the iPad users and that seals the deal for iPad at almost all price ranges (except for <$200 the price range at which iPads are not available).

watto_cobra